Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Trx 4 79 bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Trx 4 79 bronco

Just picked one up, thinking about some brass up front. Any other mods people are suggesting? I use it for a trail truck with some light crawling. Eventually I’ll get beadlocks with some hyrax tires as well
Scott Tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trx 4 79 bronco

An overwhelming amount of threads on this but...

Keep any added weight down low as possible... c-hubs
/ carriers, portal covers, diff covers, and other brass parts are the normal starting point but I wouldn't go crazy by throwing a bunch of brass at your rig. Also there can be compatibility issues from one manufacturer to another so keep that in mind. A rig that is too heavy will suffer performance loss just as one that is too light. Also, try not to add weight above the frame rails... keep it low, towards the front of the rig, and over the axles.

Not sure what battery you're running but I'd also try to get away from Traxxas batteries. They're way overpriced and with their connectors; will limit you from running other batteries. I like the XT60 connector as do a lot of others. If you can solder that's gonna help. Or you can also run Traxxas to XT60 adapters from your stock ESC to accommodate other batteries. Traxxas lipos are big, heavy, and expensive. Going with a smaller 2S or 3S will get rid of some of that top-heavy weight as well.

I'd run the stock XL5 ESC for as long as it works for you but I'd seriously consider going to something like a Hobbywing wp1080 ESC down the road. They're inexpensive, better quality-wise, and have a lot more tuning options/ settings than the XL5.

I wouldn't look at ANY Traxxas brand servos as an upgrade to your steering servo ( and that stock Traxxas servo probably isn't going to last long fwiw). But there are a ton of great and affordable options if and when the time comes that you want to upgrade that Traxxas 2075/ 2075X. Traxxas servos are junk. Tons of decent quality servos out there that won't break the bank. Just gotta watch running some high torque servos with the XL5. Direct power servos are also an option if keeping the XL% or you could run and external BEC. Lotta different options there.

I wouldn't replace the Traxxas GTS shocks since you're talking about upgrades. Traxxas did a great job with these stock shocks... I'd keep em.

Other than that there's an endless lot that you can do to the rig but don't go overboard... There's no need and a lot of the cool looking stuff out there isn't going to do much performance-wise and may wind up being money unnecessarily spent. Save it for a nice set of bead-locks and some good tires.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
An overwhelming amount of threads on this but...

Keep any added weight down low as possible... c-hubs
/ carriers, portal covers, diff covers, and other brass parts are the normal starting point but I wouldn't go crazy by throwing a bunch of brass at your rig. Also there can be compatibility issues from one manufacturer to another so keep that in mind. A rig that is too heavy will suffer performance loss just as one that is too light. Also, try not to add weight above the frame rails... keep it low, towards the front of the rig, and over the axles.

Not sure what battery you're running but I'd also try to get away from Traxxas batteries. They're way overpriced and with their connectors; will limit you from running other batteries. I like the XT60 connector as do a lot of others. If you can solder that's gonna help. Or you can also run Traxxas to XT60 adapters from your stock ESC to accommodate other batteries. Traxxas lipos are big, heavy, and expensive. Going with a smaller 2S or 3S will get rid of some of that top-heavy weight as well.

I'd run the stock XL5 ESC for as long as it works for you but I'd seriously consider going to something like a Hobbywing wp1080 ESC down the road. They're inexpensive, better quality-wise, and have a lot more tuning options/ settings than the XL5.

I wouldn't look at ANY Traxxas brand servos as an upgrade to your steering servo ( and that stock Traxxas servo probably isn't going to last long fwiw). But there are a ton of great and affordable options if and when the time comes that you want to upgrade that Traxxas 2075/ 2075X. Traxxas servos are junk. Tons of decent quality servos out there that won't break the bank. Just gotta watch running some high torque servos with the XL5. Direct power servos are also an option if keeping the XL% or you could run and external BEC. Lotta different options there.

I wouldn't replace the Traxxas GTS shocks since you're talking about upgrades. Traxxas did a great job with these stock shocks... I'd keep em.

Other than that there's an endless lot that you can do to the rig but don't go overboard... There's no need and a lot of the cool looking stuff out there isn't going to do much performance-wise and may wind up being money unnecessarily spent. Save it for a nice set of bead-locks and some good tires.
Thank you for the reply I really appreciate the detailed answer
Old 01-29-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tighe View Post
Just picked one up, thinking about some brass up front. Any other mods people are suggesting? I use it for a trail truck with some light crawling. Eventually I’ll get beadlocks with some hyrax tires as well
Start with adding as much weight down low as you can get. The body is very heavy, and that puts its CoG up high.

The stock steering servo is weak, but only if you're trying to move boulders with the steering alone. If you finesse it, it will last long enough until you want to upgrade.

The stock brushed motor is also weak regarding applying torque to those portal boxes. I've smoked more than a few on our TRX4/6s. But replacements are cheap when you do smoke them.

The stock Canyon Trails are a fantastic tire out of the box. You won't gain much trailing over crawling with the Hyrax, but if you want to try it, stick to the G8 compound. That works better on heavier rigs like this one.
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:48 AM   #5

Any company that makes reasonably priced brass parts that fit the trx 4 ?
Old 01-30-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There are nearly a dozen or so companies making brass parts for the TRX. I'm partial to Samix and Treal. But Yeah Racing makes brass parts for these, and if you scour eBay, there are even more manufacturers/resellers.
casco_bay_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #7

Thank you I’ve been looking at the treal
Old 01-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
SSD makes some nice brass portal covers as well as some nice bumpers that tuck up close to the body, and look pretty slick. If you're looking for a more scale appearance, they also have a winch bumper that looks pretty nice.

Even just some portal weights and some good wheels and tires makes a noticeable difference on the TRX-4. Ask some local guys what tires work well in your area, if you can. While I liked the Hyrax well enough, If found that I liked the Krawler KX better overall. The right foams will make a big difference in either case.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I will second the SSD portal weights. I have a dozen TRX4s all with various brass parts but I like the SSD weights the best.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I've been planning on eventually going with the package LockedUpRC offers for the TRX-4 - contains Black Steel Portal Covers, Black Steel Portal Knuckles, Black Steel C-Hubs and Brass Pipe Bushings.

I appreciate the concept of gaining weight and strength without going bonkers with brass sometimes!

Complete package weight is supposed to be 245g.

Maybe add the Black Steel Portal Covers for the rear axle, as well.

My trusty old Ascender has the full SSD brass treatment, and I have SSD brass for one of my Element builds, too - probably going to do the Ecto rather than the Sendero - just haven't gotten 'round to installing the parts yet.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx 4 79 bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM
TRX Bronco Exocaged Traxxas TRX-4 13 07-20-2017 07:16 AM