Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anyone narrow a body?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #1

Default Anyone narrow a body?

I'm building a TXT based crawler and was wondering if anyone has tried narrowing a body? I've got a HPI Bronco and was thinking of narrowing it to fit snug against my chassis for clearance. I want to mount as low as possible and am trying to avoid tire rub. FYI WB is 16 1/4", frame is cut and have Savage shocks mountd high. Shocks will be above the hood line.

The seam can be hidden on the hood, roof and trunk with color and/or stripes but what about a seam in the middle of the windshield. Think it would look wierd? Also am not sure if I should paint first or to cut then paint.

Is this a bad idea overall?
DougH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Sounds like a mean rig. Jason narrowed a stock E-maxx body here, 4th post down.
There’s something new on the horizon………………
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

I narrowed this one, just cut out what I needed then CA glued it back together. It was already painted. The glue leaves marks and I think painting from the underside like normal will look like crap. I think you'd have to paint it on the outside.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default stick body

How much did you take out of the middle. I just have eletronics to put in my stick and I was going to cut up a traxxas body like yours. Did you get yours together yet? Do you think goop would work better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
I narrowed this one, just cut out what I needed then CA glued it back together. It was already painted. The glue leaves marks and I think painting from the underside like normal will look like crap. I think you'd have to paint it on the outside.

a_vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have an idea to get around the windshield seam problem. Just cut out the whole windshield, and replace it with a new piece of lexan. The only seams would be around the edges, so it wouldn't look bad if you glue it cleanly.
Clod_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I narrowed my body on my clod, I think about 1 1/2". Its not pretty but it worked. I just cut the body down the center while taking about about 1" of material and then rivited it back together with an over lap. you can see it in the ORCRC comp videos.... Its the black dodge with a whilte skunk strip rolling on BFT's. (it use to have two racing stripes.....)

ORCRC 2-27-05 Comp Video
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
The Wheels Keep Turning

ruberized ca holds my narrowed body together without problems. i even tried to pull it apart and it's on there.

wrmorrison told me a good idea. take a piece of masking tape, 1" or 2", whatever you want to narrow your body by. run it down the center and cut along the lines. this way you know you cut straight and even on both sides.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys.

Bender your rig was my inspiration, love the looks. So far have cut the frame for clearance, raised tranny and fabbed skid plate, shortened for shocks and clearance, flipped the links, revo shafts, GD600, make servo mounts, narrowed stock wheels and am in the process of cutting tire tread. Later plans are narrowed Outbacks and moabs

I figure to cut about 1 1/2 inches out right down the middle using masking tape as the guide. Current plan is to then use that piece to bolt the body back together with 2/56 button head screws to simualte rivers, and the strips painted a contrasting color (black) from the body (flourescent blue)
DougH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i'd say cut the windshield out. i cut the windshield out of a few of my bodies......i think it looks better, plus i can change batteries and fool with electronics easier.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH
Bender your rig was my inspiration, love the looks. So far have cut the frame for clearance, raised tranny and fabbed skid plate, shortened for shocks and clearance, flipped the links, revo shafts, GD600, make servo mounts, narrowed stock wheels and am in the process of cutting tire tread. Later plans are narrowed Outbacks and moabs
Cool, thanks for the props. Sounds like you've done your homework. When are we going to get some pics?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote