Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Hammer Drill Power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hammer Drill Power

My dad recently bought a DeWalt drill and he says its a "hammer" drill. I was wondering, does this mean its like a hammer motor the slams foward at a high rate of speed? And also, could a hammer motor or gear setup be used in a crawler effectively? Any info is appreciated.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

The way the DeWalt Hammer Drills works are, its a normal drill until it clutch on the drill has sufficiant amount of pressure on it then the hammer mechanism kicks in, which doesnt slam the mechanism forward it spins stops for a split second then starts again. Well I know thats how it is on there driver version. I think it might be stressful on some gears.

Last edited by CHILL; 07-30-2007 at 08:18 PM.
CHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILL View Post
The way the DeWalt Hammer Drills works are, its a normal drill until it clutch on the drill has sufficiant amount of pressure on it then the hammer mechanism kicks in, which doesnt slam the mechanism forward it spins stops for a split second then starts again. Well I know thats how it is on there driver version. I think it might be stressful on some gears.
Alright thanks. Yeah I wasnt real sure of how it worked. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hammer drills have a pounding action which along with a screw bit help in drilling concrete and masonary materials. I think the Dewalts you can turn the hammer action off, but if your looking for one for an RC, just look for a non-hammer drill model.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
Hammer drills have a pounding action which along with a screw bit help in drilling concrete and masonary materials. I think the Dewalts you can turn the hammer action off, but if your looking for one for an RC, just look for a non-hammer drill model.
Alright cool. BTW... do drils use the 750 or 770 sized motors?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know they used to use 750's, but now that theyr pumping 36v into em, they may be using bigger motors.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I have a craftsman 13.2v drill I'm saving for a project, it was cheaper to buy a new 18v drill than replace the 13.2 batts when they died, so it's been sitting for a while. I cracked the case on it to take a look, nice well lubed planetary two speed gearbox with that big motor behind it. I might take a revo shaft and just chuck the axle end into the drill chuck and maxe a 2wd hauler with it. Use the super duty and run a couple of 6 cell packs on it to get good power to the drill
with a low range running at 350 rpm, I could route it directly to a stout axle and go. Hmmm
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i had a dewalt drill sprain my wrist. the bit got jammed and i hit the throttle. those suckers have some serious power!! arm twisting, hot, nasty, bad a** power!!
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
i had a dewalt drill sprain my wrist. the bit got jammed and i hit the throttle. those suckers have some serious power!! arm twisting, hot, nasty, bad a** power!!
I bet. Hmm... with the right gear reduction, I bet you could get that in a clod. But would 750 sized motors fit? I think they have the same mounting pattern as 540s, but I think they might be too long... anyone know? That would be awsome if I put a set of DeWalt 750's in Rock Gnome (my clod). BTW, I wonder if dual or tri 7.2 volt packs would supply enough juice...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin™ View Post
I bet. Hmm... with the right gear reduction, I bet you could get that in a clod. But would 750 sized motors fit? I think they have the same mounting pattern as 540s, but I think they might be too long... anyone know? That would be awsome if I put a set of DeWalt 750's in Rock Gnome (my clod). BTW, I wonder if dual or tri 7.2 volt packs would supply enough juice...
You really need to stop thinking....................if that is an actual term to describe it.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
You really need to stop thinking....................if that is an actual term to describe it.
Just curious, but are you really trying to piss me off? It sure does seem like it...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

if you think about it, the stock battery packs for the cordless drills are just multic cell Ni-Cad packs. I have taken apart a couple, and the cheaper ones use 600mAh sub c's, the craftsman I took appart used 1100mAh sub c's. I had thought about putting one together using loose cells, but ran into the price factor. to do a 18v drill pack, you need 15 sub c's, and at $4 each for decent ones, you are pushing $60 for the pack. I bought a new drill/light/2batts and charger on sale at sears for $90.

but yeah, I think using Ni mH sub c's should provide plenty of power especially given the quality of actuall hobby grade cells.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
if you think about it, the stock battery packs for the cordless drills are just multic cell Ni-Cad packs. I have taken apart a couple, and the cheaper ones use 600mAh sub c's, the craftsman I took appart used 1100mAh sub c's. I had thought about putting one together using loose cells, but ran into the price factor. to do a 18v drill pack, you need 15 sub c's, and at $4 each for decent ones, you are pushing $60 for the pack. I bought a new drill/light/2batts and charger on sale at sears for $90.

but yeah, I think using Ni mH sub c's should provide plenty of power especially given the quality of actuall hobby grade cells.
Alright cool. I ususally get the 4500mAh Sub-C packs from www.cheapbatterypacks.com . I think using the same ESC from the E-Maxx, then putting in 2 of those packs, it should be good.

But I am still wondering if the 750 motors are too long to fit on the clod axles without hitting the links nearby...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin™ View Post
Just curious, but are you really trying to piss me off? It sure does seem like it...
dont worry, Robbs a duece bag to everyone with a new or wierd idea, eventually you just learn to ignore him.

now are you talking fullsize hammer drills or small cordless ones? either way i think its probably to big to put on a clod axle, youd probably be better off adapting it to a shafty. a txt or twin/mad force might be a good setup for it, with something that big you could have awesome torque and good speed.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster View Post
dont worry, Robbs a duece bag to everyone with a new or wierd idea, eventually you just learn to ignore him.

now are you talking fullsize hammer drills or small cordless ones?

either way i think its probably to big to put on a clod axle,

youd probably be better off adapting it to a shafty. a txt or twin/mad force might be a good setup for it, with something that big you could have awesome torque and good speed.
Yeah I noticed that about robb. Thanks for the advice.

Like a DeWalt corded drill. Like the average drill size. I think they make cordless hammer drills also though.

Your right about the 750 size fitting on a clod. I found measurements of a 750 and it is to long.

A 750 in a shafty... HAH! You wouldnt have any shaft left after the first run to call it a shafty.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
RCC Addict

its been a while since i looked, but yeah, the drill motor had to be nearly 2.5 or 3 inches long. the motor shaft was short too, maybe a 1/4 inch at most with a brass pinion pressed on that fit the GRU

it would be a real test for the punisher shafts, that's for sure
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
its been a while since i looked, but yeah, the drill motor had to be nearly 2.5 or 3 inches long. the motor shaft was short too, maybe a 1/4 inch at most with a brass pinion pressed on that fit the GRU

it would be a real test for the punisher shafts, that's for sure
Yeah it would probably rip a punisher shaft in half. Hmmm.....
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Plan B?
Quote:
I might take a revo shaft and just chuck the axle end into the drill chuck and make a 2wd hauler with it. Use the super duty and run a couple of 6 cell packs on it to get good power to the drill
with a low range running at 350 rpm, I could route it directly to a stout axle and go. Hmmm

Or there is always plan c
U joints
Shaft
Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Or there is always plan c
U joints
Shaft
Hmmmm.... big, strong, looks cool, craftsman..... It might just be crazy enough to work!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #20
RCC Addict

And if it broke, you could take it back, it has a lifetime guarantee!!