Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Comments and opinions on climbing pure inclines, Stick vs. AX10 or others...[pics]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Comments and opinions on climbing pure inclines, Stick vs. AX10 or others...[pics]

I've finished my stick, and I've also got an AX10, and I was interested in comparing their performance on pure inclines, so I went to the local drainage ditch!!

Here I've taken pictures of the angles I tried traversing;

If you can't read it from the pictures, one of the angles is right at 48 degrees, and the steeper angle is about 58 degrees.

Neither truck could do anything with the 58 degree angle, but the stick could barely make the 48 with the equipped buggy/trugger bowtie tires, and some careful speed control. I have a 45t and a 55t on it, and some odd pinion selection, just because that's what I have around right now. I think it might do better with more closely matched motor/pinion combos.

Anyway, the stick could sidehill the 48, climb and descend it very nicely, but the axial couldn't. Maybe it was because of the stock Rock Lizard tires. It really seemed to want to make the incline, but it would just make it a foot or so, and then just slip and bounce.

Here are some pictures of the stick;

Kinda proud of this little move, I rode the wall around the bend

Here my rear servo is not wanting to move. It's a brand new 7955TG, so I sure hope nothing is wrong with it. It hasn't worked since it messed up this morning. I'm kinda hoping it was just due to low battery or something. I'm using the stock Novak Rooster ESC to power it, although I have a cc BEC I can use if necessary.

And here is the loser of the incline testing;

Any comments on tires, gripping or incline traversing, sidehilling are welcome, thanks for looking.

--is it possible I broke my receiver by having two 7955's hooked up to it???

--edit: A stripped servo horn is the culprit. I didn't expect that, but I am relieved. Are there any horns that can stand up to a rear wheeled dance by a super (you know, when you crawl up a wall almost completely vertical and you wiggle the steering back and forth so fast that the super 'dances')?

Last edited by Master Basher; 08-10-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Those step pins will defanitly get better traction then them rock lizards. A well setup rig though should be able to hold them lines wether it's a stick or a shafty.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Wheely king/SW3 with sand on the rocks.

No photo shop
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

that's very impressive Shaun. Are you both telling me that I need to replace the rock lizards?

I'm going to a comp this Saturday.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Tires will help.

Weight placement will help....more up front.

Lower ride height can help.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I can climb just as steep of stuff as Shaun posted with my axial. It all has to do with CG and weight distribution. Tires would also help out alot. The stock axials aren't worth a crap. Heck even they know that, thats why they have hammers with there ARTR. I would get a set of M2 hammers, Losi Claws, or Panther Cougars. Any of those would be a great choice of tire.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I can climb just as steep of stuff as Shaun posted with my axial. It all has to do with CG and weight distribution. Tires would also help out alot. The stock axials aren't worth a crap. Heck even they know that, thats why they have hammers with there ARTR. I would get a set of M2 hammers, Losi Claws, or Panther Cougars. Any of those would be a great choice of tire.

Thanks. I guess I'll buy a new set of tires. I've already made the weight distribution as low as practically possible.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I just noticed, this picture is an imposter. Look in the background, and you can see it was taken at an angle. Care to rethink your statement also bigflex?

I thought that sh!t looked impossible.

Anyway, I just bought some M3 hammers, and now I can climb, and desend the angle, but I still have a difficult time getting the sidehilling down. The rig (ax10) doesn't sit as low and wide as the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun (yota) View Post
Wheely king/SW3 with sand on the rocks.

No photo shop
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Basher View Post
I just noticed, this picture is an imposter. Look in the background, and you can see it was taken at an angle.
Whaaat...doesn't everyone stand at a 60 degree angle? Nice catch.

In his defense though,I've seen rigs climb and sidehill inclines like imposed in the picture. Watch some of Benders movies. Brads rig and driving skills are simply amazing.

Another thing that helps climbing allot and sidehilling,is your suspention set up. The right configuration and correct squat/anti squat numbers will help keep all four tires planted when accelorating. You can also fine tune your shock oil and spring rates for an improvement.

Wider helps,but it makes it harder to get through gates.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
lol
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

I know i do....
mockknight is offline   Reply With Quote