Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: High lift tranny mods? Seen this???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default High lift tranny mods? Seen this???

I have a highlift and of course, the tranny sits way low and gets hung up all the time, I like the three speed alot, have considered a old bruiser/hilux tranny because they are alot smaller in height. But, I saw this mod and wonder what you think? Can't tell exactly what was done.Turn the tranny on it's side and do this but hard to see what was done. Need help here. Here's a pic........

F-150Highlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks like another plate was made and bolted to the original. I was in the same boat as you what I did was took the original plate traced it on a piece of aluminum then clocked it 90 deg, traced it again then drilled out the bearing holes and shift rod hole. It clocked the tranny 90 deg, it sits right down on the frame rails and the transfer case doesn't even hang below the bottom of the frame rails. It puts your driveshafts at a steep angle but so far mine has had no problems. I'll get you some pics of my setup.

Here we are

I shouldn't have made that extra hole but it does give me an inspection opening/lube point.

Here you can see where it sits on the frame and how high the clearance is by my cat's head

Hope this helps.

Last edited by elvis; 11-24-2008 at 09:27 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Actually, the driveshafts don't look too bad. This is an awesome idea that enables you to keep the 3-speed transmission in there. Nice work.
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

Do I need to buy new drive shafts for this mod? or the stock ones will work?

thanks
eortizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

How far does the motor stick out past the frame rail? I have a narrow body so this may hit it.
F-150Highlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Blazerbogger Yeah some people think the angle is too steep but so far I've had zero problems. I really wanted to keep my 3spd but the clearance was awful.

eortizr I'm using the stock shafts but they are pulled out to the max that they can go. I would like to change to pede shafts for a bit more travel.

F-150Highlift The motor hangs out about 1.25in or 33mm past the frame rail. It WILL clear the F350 and the hilux body, I have both so it's a tested fact. I don't have an interior in either but I know one wont fit without modification.

I believe this will raise your CG a little but that not much.

Good luck in your mods. If I can be any more help hit me up, I'll be glad to assist.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote