Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: This should be fun. Your most Absurd and Usable Scale creation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default This should be fun. Your most Absurd and Usable Scale creation?

Thought it would be a cool thing to see how far people have taken their scale addiction.

Among all the Mods you have done and or seen (Plz share a pic/vid if plausible), what are you most absurd, but usable scale mods you like, hate, are proud of, or taken aback by?

Of course, I am looking to steal ideas, so let us not confuse this. lol

So out of all the mods you have done, what are some of your most off the wall, out of the ordinary, but fully scale and functional "Scale Mods".

This should be an interesting thread. Of course, I have 1/2 a dozen things in my head that I didn't try to do before I got out. But now, I am going to try a few of them anyways.

I'll post mine up as I get the fiddly bits assembled and share the ideas as they come to life.

So as they say
The Needle Goes In

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: This should be fun. Your most Absurd and Usable Scale creation?

This is probably one of my most overbuilt useless items I've built. Never even mounted it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here's another, dig unit for ax-10.
Too many hours spent designing and machining, used it once to make sure it worked and threw it all in a box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

So, not sure if this counts...(it was partially bought, but partially made by me) but I had purchased a set of mudflaps for my Enduro Sendero from Club5Racing.com. They came with brackets to mount them onto the back part of the frame so they hang right behind the back tires. The flaps themselves were molded with the "Enduro" logo on them. However...because they seemed to have been cast in some sort of rubber/resin hybrid they weren't too sturdy and broke into pieces after taking the truck out for the first drive after installing them.

I got a refund from the company for the product, but was able to keep everything I had received, including the brackets. I got the bright idea to try and make my own flaps using a sheet of rubber my dad got from his work that they use to shim auto windshields. He got me a sheet that was big enough for me to trace out new flaps, using the one unbroken flap as a guide. I actually made them longer than the ones I purchased, because I felt like it needed some more length. After cutting, sanding, and drilling holes in them I mounted them on the original brackets and they've held up now for the past week.

I mentioned these, because one could ultimately fashion their own brackets for the frame easily by bending some metal and drilling holes in it. Then using a similar sheet of rubber and a pattern they can cut out their own and install a set of scale, functional mudflaps. Pictures below:

Original flaps:

Great detail, but crummy quality material:

My hand-made replacements, with "Element" stickers added as they looked too plain:

Close-ups of the mounting bracket and hardware:

Now, are they technically functional? Yes. They do keep a bit of the mud from flipping up into the inside of the body. But they definitely just make the truck look more scale and realistic (if you're into mud flaps, that is).
Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Good start fella's. Got a couple pieces of my first absurd, but usable scale mod. Bringing this out of my head to scale use is an interesting trail to run. lol

No worries on buying parts and changing them, or making them work the way you want them too. I think that is what this hobby is all about, whether made, assembled from other bits, or just bought and put in with some minor stuff to make things more scale is the down and dirty of why we all love this shit.

Mud flaps are a very scale item. Especially for these Retro builds.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I wanted to have an opening hood for my Wraith since I had moved the battery up front. After going through my parts bin, I came up with all these LED light mounts and fiddled with them for hours until they would shape a nice working hood hinge. Hood does open but you still can't get to the battery any better - LOL

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-12 um 2.37.13 PM.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  79.2 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote

This should be fun. Your most Absurd and Usable Scale creation? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anything usable off of this? silverbullet32 Newbie General 10 07-10-2010 12:58 AM
Awesome new scale/hybrid creation... WRMorrison Tamiya TLT Crawlers 21 09-16-2005 10:03 PM