Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 3D models of axial axle housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 3D models of axial axle housings

Hi all! I recently acquired a 3D printer and was wondering if anyone had axial wraith/scx10 axle models. If anyone has models or can share tips on 3D modeling that would be much appreciated!
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 3D models of axial axle housings

my only tip is to learn additive and subtractive methods for modeling on the computer. using both makes it go faster and more easily
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Which modeling software are you using? I use SolidWorks at work and at home I downloaded Autodesk Fusion 360. It's free for the home user.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microcrawlers View Post
my only tip is to learn additive and subtractive methods for modeling on the computer. using both makes it go faster and more easily
Exactly what he said Either start with a primitive shape or make a 2d sketch and extrude from there. Then just push, pull and play, its a lot of fun. Spline will be your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Which modeling software are you using? I use SolidWorks at work and at home I downloaded Autodesk Fusion 360. It's free for the home user.
Same here, I use Fusion as well
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

good place to start.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

We use that book in my solidworks class! Solidworks is pretty damn simple. I already prefer it over autocad and this is only my first solidworks class.

I also just ordered a printer. Waiting on the damn thing to ship. I'm excited.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Once you know solidworks you will never want to touch AutoCAD again. AutoCAD is ok for 2D but that's it, they're playing catch-up in the 3D world and losing badly...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Once you know solidworks you will never want to touch AutoCAD again. AutoCAD is ok for 2D but that's it, they're playing catch-up in the 3D world and losing badly...
this X 1,000,000. I'm in my final semester of a AAS degree program for 3D modeling, I haven't touched Autocad in 2 years, mainly because I'm dead focused on staying within the manufacturing/aerospace industries where autocad has no real practical use. Even in the civil and architecture fields, they use Microstation over autocad.

Some of the constraints of SW can be a headache when dealing with large assemblies, but overall I personally work well with SW. I use CATIA at my job, and honestly would prefer to use SW if given the choice.

The follow up book to the one I linked is for modeling in the 3D realm, once you start using that feature you wont even want to do a 2D drawing anymore!

Last edited by BigSki; 03-07-2016 at 10:40 AM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

My guess is that someone with a good (accurate and well defined) 3D model of an axial axle is not likely to share it freely/willingly. The one linked above is a good place to start, but isn't that accurate if you want to print a housing and have it actually work. (You get what you pay for...)

Solidworks is really the go to for 3D solid modelling, especially if you want to iterate it and change things later.

There are classes you can take through your local community college, and there are a lot of tutorials online. Also the textbook/reference books that are posted in the thread above are a good place to start.

I'm a CSWP (Certified Solidworks Professional) and have been using it for 8ish years, and basically most of my work day is spent using it, and I wouldn't choose any other software.

If you want a model of the axle, I would recommend downloading the grab cad model, "playing" with it in solidworks to see how that person built it, and start correcting the dimensions that are wrong. After a while, you will learn the software, and end up with the CAD model.

Just to give you some inspiration, here's a rendering of the Formula Car I worked on while I was in school:

Most of the parts on the above car were drawn by people that had maybe 2 semesters worth of solidworks design. (All student team to design, analyze, fabricate, machine, build, test, and race the car.)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote