Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: school me on leaf springs, i have alot of questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Red face school me on leaf springs, i have alot of questions...

1. what leafs are best? ive been looking at the highlift hilux/f-350 ones.

2. at rest, do the shackles go straight up and down, or are they horizontal, folded/resting against the chassis rails?

3. do the shackles go in front or rear of the axle? is this different on the front and rear of the vehicle?

4. how do you clock the axle for better driveline angles?

5. axle wrap/bending leafs what can be done about this?

all i can think of right now
pics would help a LOT too
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Im Brandon

1. I have had the best luck with Chino springs

2. This depends on how much up/down travel you want. At maximum up travel the shackles may hit the frame. Maximum down travel the shackles will be almost vertical, once they go past that point they could move too far and cause a bind.

3. Rear. This way when you hit something the axle can travel back. If you run them in the front the axle has to move forward to move up.

4. Shims at the leaf spring mount.

5. Anti wrap bar.

I would recommend going through Chino's scaler build (the tan yota). He has heen refining his leaf spring setup for over 5 years now on that rig
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Here is a few things I picked up, I have use highlift rc4wds lifted bruiser and some sort of poly ones, yes some sort of track bar I'n the rear and the front can be done by stacking leafs. I say this because if you choose to use just run one you will wrap them break them and have to order more often. To stop axle wrap. I know on full size shackle front or rear make a difference but on rc I don't think you will notice Hope the picks help
Attached Images

pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would just get high lift ones and the leaf pack with it, I just put track bars on the front, cause of the summit trans, and the short axle kept poping out, but when I get the write drive shafts there coming off. I would stager the leafs the ones you uses under the main will be load and the ones you put on top will be for wrap.
The more you use your leafs the looser they will get. Now the poly ones I have I didn't test them yett but seam to be ok,
Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have a question about making ur own.
I have quite a few spools of spring steel and have tried to make my own before but I don't know how to drill holes in them to mount them to my axle. I know u can use u-bolts but I would rather put some screws threw them so they won't slide.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=adamargue;3168030]I have a question about making ur own.
I have quite a few spools of spring steel and have tried to make my own before but I don't know how to drill holes in them to mount them to my axle. I know u can use u-bolts but I would rather put some screws threw them so they won't slide.[/

When I used the rc4wd bruiser springs, I think they may have been heat treated cause they were tuff to drill. All I use was a dewalt drill bit and a block of wood but a vice and drill press would of been easier.

Find a stubby pilot bit( the regular ones S on you when you push on them) and use a punch to center the hole I'n the spring drill
Slow
Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yah I've tried that with a drill press didn't do anything. Maybe my bit was just dull.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Yah I've tried that with a drill press didn't do anything. Maybe my bit was just dull.
Yea I didn't even get to drill all the holes that steel eats bits up