Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: rc4wd ultimate scale shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default rc4wd ultimate scale shocks

Did a search, couldn't find anything. Sorry

Does anyone have these. I want to know if they are worth buying.

http://store.rc4wd.com/The-Ultimate-...r-_p_1055.html
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

anyone? i'm curious as well
phoenixtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have a sset of the 110mm and i like them alot. they are smooth and look good, and being all aluminum they are durable
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

I have them, they are nice and probably the most scale shock available. The internal spring is nice for the 4 linked rigs. I have the 80mm and 90mm and 100mm and they are all nice. Only complaint I have is that they didnt lock tight the rod end on the shock piston and they will work there way loose for sure. I took all mine off and applied lock tight and re-tightened.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have them in white, and i found the stock spring to be to stiff so I installed the softer spring, and they seem to work well now. If you do a search on "rc4wd shock" you should get a link on removing one of the o rings which alows the shock to slide much smoother.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I have them, they are nice and probably the most scale shock available. The internal spring is nice for the 4 linked rigs. I have the 80mm and 90mm and 100mm and they are all nice. Only complaint I have is that they didnt lock tight the rod end on the shock piston and they will work there way loose for sure. I took all mine off and applied lock tight and re-tightened.
Do you fill up the shock with oil? Like a true damper? Cause my leaf spring truck is quite bouncy, I really need some dampening
on it.
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
I have them in white, and i found the stock spring to be to stiff so I installed the softer spring, and they seem to work well now. If you do a search on "rc4wd shock" you should get a link on removing one of the o rings which alows the shock to slide much smoother.
I think you are referring to the old school rc4wd scale shocks that had the boots you could buy for them. These new ones are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
Do you fill up the shock with oil? Like a true damper? Cause my leaf spring truck is quite bouncy, I really need some dampening
on it.
I left them with a just a little bit of oil in them and took the internal springs out. Truth is, you typically sacrifice some performance for a scaler look. Right now I am happy with the way it performs.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

They do perform pretty decent? I want the scale look as well as performance.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
They do perform pretty decent? I want the scale look as well as performance.

They are smooth thus far, not sticky like the white ones and a lot better then a turned down tlt but I am more concerned with appearance. If you want performance scale shock get some proline ones.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
hi i jus got the 110mm ones love the look but i put shock oil n them and they leak when shocks strart to move up n down. someone told me to use grease nstead of oil. Jus wondern whut you use in yours?
jscalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i too just got some 110mm shocks, filled them up with some 30 wt oil and man i couldnt be happier, these are smooth and absolutely no binding, now if they could make some coilovers with this kind of quality id be stoked
ive also heard to use grease but i havent ran my shocks yet i still have to make shock mounts but they seem to be a truely well working shock
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

just got these in there 80mm length. the look and smoothness in travel is great but they dont hold shock oil without leaking out and should be sold as a droop shock because they dont hold up weight for shat
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscalecrawler View Post
hi i jus got the 110mm ones love the look but i put shock oil n them and they leak when shocks strart to move up n down. someone told me to use grease nstead of oil. Jus wondern whut you use in yours?
You could use grease, thats why tamiya puts in the high lift shocks. Are you using them on a linked rig? I just put a drop or 2 of axial shock oil in mine but mine are being used on a lead sprung rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf View Post
just got these in there 80mm length. the look and smoothness in travel is great but they dont hold shock oil without leaking out and should be sold as a droop shock because they dont hold up weight for shat

I have them on the back of a Hilux flat bed with a 4 link and I am running the 100mm travel shocks and they sag a bit but its actually sagged out enough to make the truck level.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

ya its a scx10.Ya the shocks work great tell the oil leaked out then it looked liked my airbaggs poped fender was rubbn in front

Last edited by jscalecrawler; 12-04-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscalecrawler View Post
ya its a scx10.Ya the shocks work great tell the oil leaked out then it looked liked my airbaggs poped fender was rubbn in front
That doesnt really make any sense...so are you running them with the internal spring? If you were, you wouldnt be able to fill them all the way with the spring in them. If you took the spring out and over filled them and tried to get them to cycle the fluid would look for a place to go and could have pushed out passed the seal.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That doesnt really make any sense...so are you running them with the internal spring? If you were, you wouldnt be able to fill them all the way with the spring in them. If you took the spring out and over filled them and tried to get them to cycle the fluid would look for a place to go and could have pushed out passed the seal.
ya i took spring out and filled about 3/4 and then put spring in also tried half way and put spring in the shock oil jus cept finging a way to leak. So a buddy said to use grease thats wut he uses. i tried it and so far its good no leaks. jus used enough for luberication.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #17

Default Re: rc4wd ultimate scale shocks

Over priced junk like most of their products, Looks good but thats about it !

I removed the glad bag style O Rings and fitted Tamiya red ones which seal 100 times better.
Also used lock tight on the bottom cheap easy to strip alloy shaft mount. Also removed all the rubber band style seals and RT'd (engine gasket sealer) them. This using #400 oil which (yay) they didn't leak! The cheap polished shafts corrode in about a year of decent use. Once they corrode you basically need to polish the shafts up so they are smoothe.

Don't buy them unless you hardly use your rig or like throwing money down the drain! 10 dollar shocks from Hong Kong are made better. Yeah, I dislike companies that have things built with the cheapest material you can get and then charge a pretty penny because they know people will pay fot the looks. Have had over 3 rig kits from then which all are junk too.

Im no kid, I help them though by repairing all the parts they break in their rigs in three different clubs where I am and have been for over 15 years. The products they sell made by other companies are great and their tyres and wheels I havent seen problems with other than their stainless steel screws which rust pretty bad, Gpm and yeah racibg seem to have better stuff for a few dollars a part. Just my view and 2 cents ;)
eddie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie79 View Post
Over priced junk like most of their products, Looks good but thats about it !

I removed the glad bag style O Rings and fitted Tamiya red ones which seal 100 times better.
Also used lock tight on the bottom cheap easy to strip alloy shaft mount. Also removed all the rubber band style seals and RT'd (engine gasket sealer) them. This using #400 oil which (yay) they didn't leak! The cheap polished shafts corrode in about a year of decent use. Once they corrode you basically need to polish the shafts up so they are smoothe.

Don't buy them unless you hardly use your rig or like throwing money down the drain! 10 dollar shocks from Hong Kong are made better. Yeah, I dislike companies that have things built with the cheapest material you can get and then charge a pretty penny because they know people will pay fot the looks. Have had over 3 rig kits from then which all are junk too.

Im no kid, I help them though by repairing all the parts they break in their rigs in three different clubs where I am and have been for over 15 years. The products they sell made by other companies are great and their tyres and wheels I havent seen problems with other than their stainless steel screws which rust pretty bad, Gpm and yeah racibg seem to have better stuff for a few dollars a part. Just my view and 2 cents ;)
i would have to disagree i have had mine for almost 3 years now and have beaten the crapout of my rigs and mine show no signs of rust, i dont even lock tight my rod ends and they never come loose when running. same goes for all my rc4wd stuff i run.
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I think it's kind of hit or miss with their stuff I've had good luck with what I've bought and run

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I have some that came off a TF2, they leak a little but they aren't bad.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote