Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Blackwell Mod Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RC4WD Blackwell Mod Thread

I have a set of 2 front blackwell axles that are for my current project "Light Wallet". When I received them I was somewhat disappointed at how sloppy things seemed so I thought I would put together a list of things I did to tighten them up. T

1. The drive pins on the end of the drive axles (Not the steering stub shafts) are very loose and can work their way out of center when steering. When you turn straight and the axle turns the pin bends or shears off. To fix this I thoroughly cleaned all of the grease off of the pin and the axles. I put a small dab of clear marine adhesive in the pin hole and installed the pin. It doesn't stick to the pin, but adds some resistance and the pin no longer moves.

2. The hex drives do not have have set screws. This wouldn't be a problem but when changing the wheels they slide off easily and again the drive pin is very loose and falls right out. So I replaced the hexes with Axial SCX10 hexes. They have set screws and hold everything in place nicely.

3. The steering stub axles have a lot of play in and out so in between the "C" bearing and the drive pin on the outside I slid an old shock o-ring over the stub axle, then I replaced the drive pin and everything is a bit more snug. I tried thin neoprene washers from the hardware store and while everything was tight, the surface area caused a lot of friction and it was noticeable in spinning the axle.

4. All of the screws work loose pretty easily. On the "C"'s I removed both of them and used loctite. On most of the other smaller detail screws that hold everything together I put it on every other one. I plan on checking them every now and then and may go back and do them all. At the very least they all need to be tightened down before you run them.

That about covers it. After saying all that I should disclose that I have not run these axles yet so there may be more short comings but for now they seem much better than when they arrived. If you own a set and want to contribute feel free. Comments are welcome.

Thank you.

-Andrew Miller
millrtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Those are some very nice looking axles, and I realize it's one off, low run stuff, but I would think that with a cost of $179 each, the tolerances and build quality might be a little better.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I would agree, but they look so sweet that I had to make it right myself. We'll see how they do when I actually end up putting power to them.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have been kicking around new ideas for mounting the lower links and shocks to the axle. In the "thinking" stages I completely disassembled the axles. I was very pleased with what I found. Everything seems to be very beefy on the interior. I think the only thing I will need to worry about strength wise will be from the knuckle on out. Still haven't put power to them, but getting closer.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

newbe here can you and if so well you tel the between a comp and scale reg
grave 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
LR3
Rock Crawler

A Scale rig is something that is realistic and that you would see everyday on the road or the trail. There is also a TTC(Top Truck Challange) which is more of a comp styled scale rig, and then there is comp rigs which are stuff like the AX10, and MOA(Motor an axle) crawlers.

Scale:

Comp Scale(TTC):

Competition:

The Summit is the closest thing to a Comp rig that I actully have. In reality the Summit is more for bashing, but it can also crawl like a mad man
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

WTF are you kidding the summit is not at all a comp rig its a basher here is a pic of a comp truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
A Scale rig is something that is realistic and that you would see everyday on the road or the trail. There is also a TTC(Top Truck Challange) which is more of a comp styled scale rig, and then there is comp rigs which are stuff like the AX10, and MOA(Motor an axle) crawlers.

Scale:

Comp Scale(TTC):

Competition:

The Summit is the closest thing to a Comp rig that I actully have. In reality the Summit is more for bashing, but it can also crawl like a mad man
crawlmaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

he said it is the closest thing to a comp rig that HE has why don't you read first before you do your wtf comment ,why are people jumping on somebody's azz first chance they get?
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevMc View Post
Those are some very nice looking axles, and I realize it's one off, low run stuff, but I would think that with a cost of $179 each, the tolerances and build quality might be a little better.
That is quite a list Andrew. Damn. On one hand it's disappointing, on the other it's good to hear from someone who knows how to solve problems that, well, the problems can be solved.

Great name, "Light Wallet" Makes me wonder what else is in store. I know what you mean, my dream build is a 6x6 with Blackwells (either a Unimog or something resembling a hacked-up Deuce and a Half) but at $550 for axles alone, that's all it is is a dream.

How are you mounting shocks and links and stuff? They have all that stuff listed on the Blackwell page, but with no part numbers, and you can't find them anywhere else on the site...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsimi View Post
he said it is the closest thing to a comp rig that HE has why don't you read first before you do your wtf comment ,why are people jumping on somebody's azz first chance they get?
Just ignore him. All that cat is good at is talkin S and starting problems.

Nice write up tho. I was going to try and find a set of these, but not sure if I want to deal with them now. To expensive to have to fix before installing. Lol.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

After reading this and from some of my own experiences I wonder why these companies charge so much for a " heavy duty or precison " part when in reallity it's just slap together mass produced and needs modification prior to even running. we buy them beacause we either cant or dont want to fabricate it ourselves but if we end up modifying it whats the point?

I know we have to take into consideration that super tiny parts are generally going to be weaker but I would sill like some more bang for the buck...

Don't get me wrong guy's love the detail and I appreciate all the hard work that goes into all the products out there for us.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
LR3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlmaster18 View Post
WTF are you kidding the summit is not at all a comp rig its a basher here is a pic of a comp truck
Like it was said above, read
Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
How are you mounting shocks and links and stuff? They have all that stuff listed on the Blackwell page, but with no part numbers, and you can't find them anywhere else on the site...
They have an option 4 link mounting kit which is pretty nice. I am thinking about modding the link/shock mount that comes with the kit and mounting the shock directly to the axle tube and just keeping the stock clamp on link mount. When I get it all put together I will take some extensive photos.

The entirety of the sloppiness comes from the knuckles on out. I would imagine the rear axle is bomb proof. The changes I made took roughly 20 minutes and less than $15 in parts (I got the SCX10 hexes used). To me, for such a realistic scale looking axle it is worth it. That is assuming the perform well and after tearing them apart recently I doubt they will let me down.

-Andrew Miller
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i know what it said im saying he stole 2 other pics so why not find a real pic of a comp truck to show the newbie
Quote:
Like it was said above, read
crawlmaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
LR3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlmaster18 View Post
i know what it said im saying he stole 2 other pics so why not find a real pic of a comp truck to show the newbie
cause i had those saved in my photobucket already
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millrtme View Post

The entirety of the sloppiness comes from the knuckles on out. -Andrew Miller
All we need are XVD's ... and that will make these, The Ultimate Scale of RC4WD!
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #17

Default Re: RC4WD Blackwell Mod Thread

Hey Guys...So getting back to the Blackwell axles... I'm a few years into a Tamiya 350 High lift....( life gets in the way)... Just stumbled onto another one already built ... Price was right and now I have two ..lol.... So I'm wondering if the Blackwell axle would be the correct dimension's to fit under the Tamiya H/L for an old skool style monster truck...also If I went single speed, and geared for high torque with brushless? do you think those axles would hold together??? or shred?? I kinda want to do a truck/trailer hauling a monster truck..

Thoughts??
Rygar is offline   Reply With Quote