RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   Let the flooding of the scale market begin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/593542-let-flooding-scale-market-begin.html)

Brake Weight 01-02-2018 11:15 PM

Re: Let the flooding of the scale market begin

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsone (Post 5782695)
check out that internal spur gear on the 3racing rig... no thanks

Spotted that a little while ago. Interesting idea to keep the profile tighter. That 3R really is a decently thought out rig. Quality...who knows. I wouldn稚 mind a retrofit of that spur on my scx10. Even cooler if it was clockable like the RC4WD divorced tranny.

Hydrocarbon92 01-02-2018 11:56 PM

One thing about cheap beginner kits, they tend to get a new wave hooked & many of them upgrade. Price is usually the most common barrier to entry with most hobbies.

Another thing is when they aren't just carbon-copies of existing kits but instead add in some unique features, it tends to jolt the bigger names out of complacency. After replacing the worn-out PLASTIC end link balls & $10 can motor on my used Wraith, it amazed me that people paid $400 for a kit - and that it's been that price for ages. I'm not saying Axial is junk, but SCT's and buggies get refreshed almost yearly.

Jim85IROC 01-03-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM74 (Post 5782551)
This is so weird. Solid front axle with 0-20* of camber adjustment? I mean, I guess it could be useful. I'm not sure if anybody has ever tried this.

If you're going to run a course that has a lot of side-hilling, that camber adjustment could be real helpful. Aside from that, I'm at a loss. It's definitely out of place on a scaler.

svt923 01-03-2018 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDER PRO (Post 5782692)
Hobao is the controlling company of another later born, maybe more recognizable name OFNA which has alot of experiance in doing fairly well in 1/8 scale off road. They had some really wild monster trucks and one of the first nitro monster trucks even before the tmaxx. Does anybody remember the titan? Not the football team or the movie, it was a dual engine big block monster truck that when tuned right made a tmaxx look like a Wal-Mart toy. The pirate was a one of the early nitro monster trucks which eventually spured on 1/8 truggy racing becuase it was based of of a 1/8 nitro buggy with monster truck tires. If you think Traxxas recycled parts and ideas to extend the profitability of a part OFNA wrote the book and Traxxas learned from them. The first crawler from Hobao....ehhhh.... But Hobao and OFNA as a company definitely are players in other rc.

Ofna was just an importer and distributor that is now out of business. HoBao (or Hong Nor) always made the cars, Ofna was just the company that made them available in the US (and they did a very good job at it). I don't have faith in anything HoBao since Ofna closed up.

JatoTheRipper 01-03-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhugger (Post 5782570)
They clearly don't get it.

What don't "they" get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank211 (Post 5782578)

Pivot balls on a crawler is beyond odd. Odd and/or different isn't always bad. You can't find new things that work without trying.

The scaler market is already flooded. Bring on the flood. Anything that forces the big players to stay on their toes is a good thing.

spectre 01-03-2018 10:58 AM

I can't care less about brand licensing for bodies, tires, etc. I'd rather pay less for the model. Just needs to look scale and that's the fun part for me to figure out those little details. If I want a jeep or toyota or whatever licensed body, plenty of them on the market to me to buy later.

Frank211 01-03-2018 05:14 PM

The hobao in depth (not really tho)
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180104/nmxm3nuj.png
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180104/6tf79jql.png
http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180104/zv8zr93y.png

hillbillyrc 01-03-2018 06:10 PM

First mod to axles flip the link mount screws and use button heads or maybe even a countersunk .

EZCompany 01-03-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyrc (Post 5783090)
First mod to axles flip the link mount screws and use button heads or maybe even a countersunk .

That was my first thought. I think countersunk would be the best bet so there's nothing protruding down.

JatoTheRipper 01-03-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyrc (Post 5783090)

Yeah anyway. That's a big WTF on their part. What were they thinking?

Brake Weight 01-05-2018 05:57 AM

I値l leave this here.

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-kitexr...cPath=420_1187

TooOldForThis 01-05-2018 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5783745)

Nice price for a kit with a 2 speed.

I have a drift car from the same brand. The quality isn't flawless, but it's better than I expected for the price. I wouldn't steer anyone away from the brand.

JatoTheRipper 01-05-2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Wow that's way cheaper than I expected! I like it because it's a different design. They are taking a chance on something different. That has to be done or the scale market will get stale.

OSRC 01-05-2018 07:27 AM

Aluminum M7 (!) links, 2 speed, steel gears, hidden body mounts, CVD's, motor up front and CMS out of the box. Seems like that was pretty much everyone's wish list for an out of the box kit not too long ago.

If the quality is there, very impressive. I've built a 3Racing kit, and used a lot of their parts - never had any issues.

I like the adjustable camber...interesting idea. I've messed with it on my IFS rigs and it seems to make a difference. IIRC the CFX-W has a few degrees of negative camber baked in as well. I'm not sure how much steering you can get out of pivot balls though.

smog 01-05-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

If it came with the Land Rover body that is shown in the ad I think I would have already ordered one.

JDM74 01-05-2018 09:14 AM

Wow, at that price I might be in if nothing else to see what its all about.

Frank211 01-05-2018 02:31 PM

At least its not $799.99 with $199.99 shipping price...like some other truck that's coming out.....lol !

JDM74 01-05-2018 02:57 PM

Whoa, what is that?

StomperCrawler 01-06-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

I see CMS but no panhard bar?

I like that they're including beadlocks, but those hubs stick out too far, and gold bolts... REALLY?

makya 01-06-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomperCrawler (Post 5784123)
I see CMS but no panhard bar?

I like that they're including beadlocks, but those hubs stick out too far, and gold bolts... REALLY?

at $160 US, you can afford some black paint and a different set of hubs 8) the 4 link with cms is a head scratcher though, but I can't see the pics well enough to see the suspension/steering setup myself.