RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   General Scale Talk (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/)
-   -   New Axial UTV (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/606531-new-axial-utv.html)

FordSpeed 02-19-2019 04:36 PM

New Axial UTV

Looks like Axial put a new body on the Yeti-Jr maybe. Can-Am X3. Spotted this on a facebook page and if you look, you see the Axial logo on the bottom left. Will UTV be the next big RC thing?

https://perksrcworks.files.wordpress...0620276969.jpg

lonleycreeper 02-19-2019 05:37 PM

Re: New Axial UTV

Ok thats cool... The guys at the hobby shop measured a Yeti Jr a while back, and its dimensions work out to be a scale utv.... just saying.

jokersinsanity 02-19-2019 05:50 PM

https://youtu.be/xKn9ufPSsok

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

Joshs4x4toyz 02-19-2019 08:02 PM

I built a few rc side by sides and just picked up the big New Bright RZR 1000 over Christmas to build. I sure hope they did not waste the opportunity by putting it on the yeti jr lol, I would grab the Jconcepts "truth" and put it on something better. Still looks cool though!

I have one the WLtoyz RZR's (knockoff twin hammers) and for $80 its pretty cool. I am big into SXS scene so I really dig em. Hopefully this is cool.

Shinchu 02-20-2019 09:53 AM

any of them, axial or otherwise, would look AWESOME towed on a scale trailer behind your rig. i dig them for that factor alone, but not exclusively. would i buy one though? ehh… doubtful.

hairyguy4 02-20-2019 10:31 AM

That is seriously cool looking!

DukeMinnix 02-20-2019 10:57 AM

theyre doing a 3 clues every few hours thing on facebook today. I don't see much interest in this unfortunately

lonleycreeper 02-20-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5911851)
theyre doing a 3 clues every few hours thing on facebook today. I don't see much interest in this unfortunately

That suprises me. As popular as side by sides are.

DukeMinnix 02-20-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 5911866)
That suprises me. As popular as side by sides are.

looking to me to be what some guys were doing and putting the new bright UTV body on the yeti jr. Maybe it'll sell better than the yeti jr. Maybe not. I don't know. But they mentioned scalers liking it as an "accessory". All fine and good I guess but I don't know. Maybe it'll spark like wildfire and I don't know anything

tuanies 02-20-2019 03:00 PM

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e7&oe=5CEC2D10

Revealed on Hemistorm's Facebook page

Ditchrat 02-20-2019 03:17 PM

Look it's one of the bright ideas that put hobbico out of business.

They couldn't give yeti JRs away, so why not let's toss some more money at it and see if it can be a failed product twice.

GrimmTheTourist 02-20-2019 03:37 PM

I don't get this thing.. but I also have zero to none contact with any of these big quads so maybe thats why

They should take a look at that IFS project going on in the 1.9 scaler thread :mrgreen:

Brake Weight 02-20-2019 04:08 PM

Most all SxS are indy front and rear.

FordSpeed 02-20-2019 04:32 PM

They've been saying in the comments on their FB page that the Jrs have been completely re-tooled and updated with better designs. It may never be SCX popular, but I wouldn't mind picking one up for my 3yr old. Then I can haul it around on my trailer just for fun. My truck/trailer build thread here. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...k-trailer.html

I guess it supposed to sell in all the Can-Am dealers plus hobby shops, so I'm sure they will move plenty of them.

smog 02-20-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 5911818)
any of them, axial or otherwise, would look AWESOME towed on a scale trailer behind your rig. i dig them for that factor alone, but not exclusively. would i buy one though? ehh… doubtful.

:ror:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditchrat (Post 5911929)
Look it's one of the bright ideas that put hobbico out of business.

They couldn't give yeti JRs away, so why not let's toss some more money at it and see if it can be a failed product twice.

:lmao:

tuanies 02-20-2019 04:47 PM

If only they made a kei truck version, so I can have one that matches mine :D

Ditchrat 02-20-2019 05:30 PM

So I read that they are marketing as a scale accessory. With a 8 inch wheel base, I guess thats close enough to 1/10 of a 90inch wheel base.:lmao:

But folks that will put this in a trailer, might take issues with the solid rear axle.

I don't know if this is a real thought, or facebook scuttlebutt either way its either a great idea or a horrible after though.

smog 02-20-2019 05:48 PM

Park the truck, flip the switch, drive RC accessory onto trailer. It would be pretty killer if that thing could shred the mud like a pig, but I am not seeing it.

ferp420 02-21-2019 07:41 AM

Cool rig but most of axials rigs are closer to 1/8 scale so this would look small next to them i think the wltoys rzr looks way better and closer to the scale size of axials other rigs that one looks like a polaris with can am badging kinda funny in my opinion

01tj 02-21-2019 08:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbt...je6zrCti3XNJ_A

durok 02-21-2019 11:56 AM

Funny, they stuck a Dynamite-branded motor and Spectrum-branded radio in the release of this thing. Horizon has begun changing things up a bit...

jokersinsanity 02-21-2019 12:30 PM

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi90069

Sent from my LG-M703 using Tapatalk

Ditchrat 02-21-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5912160)
Funny, they stuck a Dynamite-branded motor and Spectrum-branded radio in the release of this thing. Horizon has begun changing things up a bit...

Quote:

SPEKTRUM ESC/RECEIVER COMBO
The Spektrum ESC/receiver is an all in one unit featuring an EC3 battery connector, a convenient on–off switch and it’s water resistant for peace of mind when water splashes on your electronics.
WARNING: This product is only compatible with NiMH batteries. Do not use a LiPo battery or fire causing serious injury or damage to property may occur.

That can't be right in 2019.........

Are they daft.

Shinchu 02-21-2019 01:12 PM

yeah even my barrage can run a 2S lipo.

daft indeed.

rkj__ 02-21-2019 02:49 PM

I'd say the solid rear axle is a definite strike against this product. You don't have to be a scale freak to notice, hey, that's not like my 1:1 Can-Am.

If it's cheap enough, some people will buy it, but I can't see it being a home-run.

Jim85IROC 02-21-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkj__ (Post 5912210)
I'd say the solid rear axle is a definite strike against this product. You don't have to be a scale freak to notice, hey, that's not like my 1:1 Can-Am.

If it's cheap enough, some people will buy it, but I can't see it being a home-run.

Half of the bodies that we put on our crawlers don't have a solid front axle on the 1:1 versions, and we all accept it for what it is, but suddenly a solid axle instead of an IRS is a deal breaker?

Brake Weight 02-21-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5912258)
Half of the bodies that we put on our crawlers don't have a solid front axle on the 1:1 versions, and we all accept it for what it is, but suddenly a solid axle instead of an IRS is a deal breaker?

Yes. Nobody does a SAS to a side by side. They most definitely do them to trucks.

Ditchrat 02-22-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5912275)
Yes. Nobody does a SAS to a side by side. They most definitely do them to trucks.

Absolutely dead on. If you're going to make a 1:1 crawler out of your truck, a solid axle swap is one of the first things you have to do. People even body swap things like Corvette bodies on to 4x4 chassis.

That make a lot of the liberties builders take believable. Solid axle on that utv is a stretch.

Jim85IROC 02-22-2019 07:15 AM

You guys are taking your scale realism a little too seriously.;-) for all the flaws that this vehicle has, I don't see the solid axle as one of the biggest.

chevy4life 02-22-2019 07:53 AM

It's A frigin toy guys. In a perfect world every r/c would be an exact replica but this however is just like axial said. simply a scale accessory that just happens to be drive able.

tuanies 02-22-2019 08:12 AM

A lot of people use kei mini trucks as a side by side and they are rear axle and IFS. Now someone just needs to make a body for one...

Ditchrat 02-22-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy4life (Post 5912376)
It's A frigin toy guys. In a perfect world every r/c would be an exact replica but this however is just like axial said. simply a scale accessory that just happens to be drive able.

You get to like what you like and others get to like what they like. If people don't like it enough to purchase it then to fails.

If I was to buy it for a scale accessory at that price point it is going to be a proper scale accessory. I am not saying that it has to be that way or its wrong. However there are many people that feel the same way, if there wasn't then comp crawlers would be much more popular then they are currently.

I don't think anybody who would buy this as a toy would not buy it with an independent rear, but on the flip side I do think as a scale accessory people would not buy it because of the independent rear. It seems as a marketing tactic you would want to capture as much of the market as possible.

And let be honest who is going to spend the most money here? A scale nerd looking for something or the average scaler?

Really none of us know WTF we are talking about, we are all just guessing and offering opinions. Eventually the market will show us what the demand is, either this will be an addition to the axial line up, or it will be discontinued after they sell off the initial batch. In a year or two if it gets discontinued I guess we can revisit this post and see who was correct. Until then we have soemthing to talk about. Im sure in a week someone will post a thread begging for a UTV only section.

Any chance a mod would merge the two UTV threads?

svt923 02-22-2019 08:50 AM

I can't believe anyone would buy a realistic looking truck with the wrong type of suspension!

Sincerely,

People who complained there should have been a solid axle on the Slash before Traxxas went and sold millions of them

odomandr 02-22-2019 09:54 AM

I wish everyone was more open minded to the idea of having fun.....

JDM74 02-22-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5912258)

Speak for yourself. Every one of my RC crawlers came with a solid front axle in its 1:1 counterpart. I'm a scale nerd. Every sticker on my bomber or UDR is a legit sponsor of the 1:1. I went so far as to research the 1:1's to see what sponsors they run. I even researched SSD's rock racer wheels to see which 1:1's they are a copy of so I could put the appropriate sponsor sticker on my bomber.

So my point, yeah, if I even liked side by sides, the solid axle rear is a deal breaker. I'm sure there are others like me.

Ditchrat 02-22-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odomandr (Post 5912420)
I wish everyone was more open minded to the idea of having fun.....

You understand that building, modding and maintaining is the fun part of this hobby for some people. Actually running them is just something else we do.

goobs 02-22-2019 10:40 AM

anybody else notice the upper rear is a wishbone...its not individual links, that dont flex.

Col_Sanders 02-22-2019 05:46 PM

I'll get one. I need something to chase the kids around with and I have a Mamba Micro X esc sitting here that needs a good home.

Brake Weight 02-22-2019 07:32 PM

I’ve got a 1st release and it was a POS back then. I’d imagine nothing has changed. All electronics should get ripped out before a battery is ever plugged in. Motor and/or pinion options are slim to none. Meshing the pinion-spur is a crap shoot at best. Hardware is junk at best. Everything is plastic...even the axle shafts.

There’s several threads in the Yeti sub forum for the Jr. Have a look see.

Col_Sanders 02-22-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake Weight (Post 5912538)
I’ve got a 1st release and it was a POS back then. I’d imagine nothing has changed. All electronics should get ripped out before a battery is ever plugged in. Motor and/or pinion options are slim to none. Meshing the pinion-spur is a crap shoot at best. Hardware is junk at best. Everything is plastic...even the axle shafts.

There’s several threads in the Yeti sub forum for the Jr. Have a look see.

You'd imagine wrong...Axle shafts and the gears/lockers are aluminum and it has Spektrum electronics now. It SHOULD be a good bit more durable than the first generation version.

I get a little bit of hope out of this release because it shows that Horizon can address weak points and make worthwhile changes to a platform. I hope it takes off and opens the door for a good 1/18 scaler.