Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My WK Rock Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My WK Rock Racer

My goal for this truck was to have a RC that could crawl if needed and be able to get the wheel speed up on climbs and also to bump over stuff. From the testing that I have done the concept seems to work great, a few minor modifications and it should be good (bend the front links slightly as it tends to get a bit hung up there, rear steering lockouts, convert 3 link to 4 link, adjust shock/ride height)

45T Integy Motor
Novak Rooster ESC
4200MaH Battery @ 7.2v
HiTec 645 Steering servo (Axle mount)
8/32 Steering rods w/ Traxxas (Large) Rod Ends
8/32 Front links (3 link)
8/32 Rear links (3 link)
Chassis flip
Losi Claws on 2.2 Axial Gunmetal Beadlocks (Weight and foams in front, foams in rear)
12.5" WB

EHeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Action shot from last night

New rear lockout, just need to trim it down

And a little movie, giving it a bit of go juice to get off the wall

Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #3

very nice
bigredneck61088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I am going to be working on a 1Link w/ Panhard tonight (alright maybe tomorrow, Canucks play tonight ). I will post pictures when I start working on it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I wanted to build one that can crawl and bash. I did the same thing u did except the servo mount, I kept it stock.

I used 85t and stock gear and it is very slow. It would be much better if I used a 45t like urs and gear it down a bit. I have to warn you though, the first time I bashed by streched WK, I bent 3 shocks out of 4. The reason I think it's because the shocks are slanted after streching. Not totally sure, but just want to give you my expierence.
jayliu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu1984 View Post
I wanted to build one that can crawl and bash. I did the same thing u did except the servo mount, I kept it stock.

I used 85t and stock gear and it is very slow. It would be much better if I used a 45t like urs and gear it down a bit. I have to warn you though, the first time I bashed by streched WK, I bent 3 shocks out of 4. The reason I think it's because the shocks are slanted after streching. Not totally sure, but just want to give you my expierence.
The shocks are also pretty junky...I never bent mine, and I still couldn't get them to hold oil. Literally, I ran 2 packs through the truck in stock form and the shocks all leaked. Just hold on to the stock springs, they're nice and soft. I like them better than losi whites.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Doing some testing on my new 4-Link front end w/ J-Arms. New metal lower links on the rear 3-Link, removed the lead weight from inside the tires and put half as much on the diffs, equal both sides. Fixed my one tire that was backwards, running fronts normal and rears reverse. A little more body trimming.
Playing in my new play area, front yard.

After I ran the battery dry and found some weak links in my front 4-Link, I added a 15/96 gear set, removed some excess weight in the rear, new antenna with flex tubing and re-positioned the body a bit.

Flexy flexy on the 1:1

From the quick burn around with the 15/96 gears it didnt really seem to lose any top end which is awesome. And I climbed a wall and it seemed to really bite now, motor didnt seem like it was slipping. Very happy camper.