Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: RCGUY axle servo mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

Default RCGUY axle servo mount

I have just ordered an axle servo mount from rc guy. What is the size of the nut/bolt that connects the rod ends from the servo and right axle to the left axle? I saw on some threads that it's a long bolt and lock nut. I will be using all-threads and aluminum tubing for the links. Please provide Tower links.
Is there anything else I need to complete the install (nut/bolt for shock mounting, etc)? I know that I need to rotate the shock mounts horizontally.
Thank you very much.
clowkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2

I was just doing this myself. I am using 8-32 all thread and Revo rod ends since it was cheaper to do everything 8-32/Revo than to buy 4-40 just for steering, but I think 4-40 works as well. I went to the LHS and bought a variety of 3mm machine screws (Duratrax 2 packages of each: 10, 15, 18, one package of 20, and 30mm). They only had hex head, but I suppose you could use others from the hardware store. I think I used 15mm for the servo horn, 15mm for the side with a single rod end and 20 mm for the end with two rod ends. However the side with two rod ends needs to be longer ... maybe 24mm or 26mm. The machine screw just peeks out of the end so I need enough room to put a lock nut on there.

If you search Tower for "3mm machine screw" you should find a bunch of choices:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...crew&search=Go

I haven't seen any use for anything less than 10mm yet, but I could see going up to 30 (I obviously need to get some 24 or 26). Duratraxx has some nice combo packages with different sizes.

I honestly do not have it put together yet, but I think I am going to use the 20mm or 30mm to mount the shocks and lower links, but you could probably use the stock bolts with e-clips. Also, rotating the mounts extends the wheel base too much for the stock shafts so those need to be extended to, so you may as well extend the wheelbase. I got these to extend the shafts:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP55 but I have not tried it yet since I want to get links extended before I try the shafts since they may have to be cut to fit.

I kind of thought I could just install the servo mount, rotate the shocks and drive a bit, but it snowballs into a bigger project. But it is fun. Just frustrating waiting for parts.
kelly_and_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your very informative response. I will be using 4-40 all threads and some hpi rod ends.
I am already done extending my wheelbase using STRC kit but I found out that the lower links are too short (<12") so I ended up using only the upper links and made all-thread/aluminum for the lower links.
One advice, if you use the traxxas 4951x shafts, use the 4928x yokes. They're perfect match and much more durable.
clowkoy is offline   Reply With Quote