Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My new WK project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My new WK project

well i decided that bigger wasnt better so completely scraped my 16inch WK and started from scratch. as it sits now i have a custom frame made from some 1/16" thick scrap metal i found at work (not to sure what it is but its pretty strong) WK axles, WK transmission with custom clocked motor plate, WK shocks, Revo Driveshafts modded a little, Custom 3 link made from a chunk of aluminium and 4/40 allthread with stainless steel tubes covering it for the upper and some spare axial lower links, integy 55t motor and an HS-645MG Steering servo on a customaxle mount.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

pics kinda suck ill try and get some better ones of the completed thing tonight
Tonelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Nope..

I bet those red X's crawl great.... Sounds cool, fix your pix so we can see it.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

lol yah i was wondering if it was just my computer that wouldnt show them, guess ill have to reload them onto PhotoBucket and try again tonight, thx for lettin me know
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ok lets try this again

Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good What is your wheelbase at?
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Nope..

Looks like a little too much flex to me.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

lol wow did i mess up, i just took it out for its first crawl and the motor is on the wrond side so i have severe torque twist and the shocks are fairly weak so that doesnt help things but ill be putting some spacers on the inside of the shocks to limit the flex. Guess ill have to try and flip the tranny or just wait till my axial tranny shows up, oh and the wheelbase is about 13 inches and i also need to replace the front upper link as you can see the amount of flex in the plastic

Last edited by Tonelock; 09-10-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #8

Default Simular but different

Looks good.

I hope to debut my new WK based chassis soon. Yours reminds me of mine a bit.

I noticed you clocked the motor using the stock plate and rotated the tranny 90 deg. Is the tranny mounted to the bottom cross-member with the 3 stock screw locations only? If so, does it stay put when there is alot of torque? I decided not to rotate the tranny because of this concern.

I'm not sure that rotating the motor will effect tourque twist other than transfer it to the other side of the vehicle.

Angling the shocks toward the middle of the vehicle increases articulation dramatically. The stock WK shocks are too long for that angle.

Your ride height seems pretty high. When climbing does your rear end shoot straight up? I had this problem with my stock chassis and am going to raise the back end of the rear upper links which should prevent the torque at the rear wheels from trying to drive under the truck.
Brip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, but I agree, too much flex. You'll soon realize too much flex will just get you stuck on holes etc... LImit the travel and the wheels will "float" over holes instead of dropping inside them.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

allright so i figured it out, i flipped the axles, reversed the motor so it would now go forward instead of backwards from the axle flip and put about half an inch of fuel tubing inside the shocks to lower it and give it less flex(it has about 80 degrees now instead of 100) and stiffen up the shocks. So now theres almost no torque twist and it sits a little lower lowersing the CG, i was about to scrap it and start fresh but now it runs like a dream, ill try and get a vid up ASAP.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

allright heres a couple of pics of the finished thing no vid tho the wife didnt want to be the camera man.