Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wow Great Deal on Defender 90 Crawler King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Wow Great Deal on Defender 90 Crawler King

My LHS for some odd reason got in a Defender 90 Crawler King. They never have any crawler stuff. Usually I have to order them online.

I am a comp crawler and I have built 2 SCX10s as a 2.2 TT and a 1.9TT...along with a Highlift Tundra show truck.

My comp crawler is still a WIP but I noticed the Defender 90 is so cheap at $160. I guess they are discontinuing that body style for the RTR package.

I am not looking to do any mods to this rig if I decide to get it for my girl so she can get into crawling. This rig no matter what you do will still be too top heavy and for it to be comp capable it is just not worth it.

I am keeping it as bone stock as possible...most likely just waterproof the servo myself and waterproof the ESC and RX so she can drive it in mud and water. Of course pack the axles and diffs as well.

Not a big fan of the plastic but I don't think she'll be breaking anything too much. Any other opinions?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
This rig no matter what you do will still be too top heavy and for it to be comp capable it is just not worth it.
Anything? what about:
AKcrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
Sometimes, I make things.

I would like to think that w/ the proper mods it could easily be a comp crawler. A good TVP chassis and a clocked motor mount and OTA steering would transform the CK from a top heavy clumbsy machine into a pretty sweet crawler. I am leaving mine mostly stock for now as it is my submarine crawler (waterproof xl5 esc, Novak 55, rubbered rx and traxxas2075 servo, swims like a fish) when I finish a couple other crawlers I am building I will likely set up the CK better, but how it sits now it is a lot of fun. It is getting me some valuable wheeltime until I get my comp worthy crawlers finished. I picked up one from Tower for $120 a few weeks ago and have been beating the crap out of it. It has its problems but nothing that can't be easily fixed. This thing will stay waterproof tho, it is just too much fun to bash thru streams.

Nicde looking rig above, I bet it is an animal compared to stock. I need to do OTA steering next on mine, the weak 40oz stock servo and flexy linkage doesn't make for any steering at all sometimes...
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I agree, with the proper set up this could be a very capable comp crawler, lots of guys have done it, check out some of the thread on here some guys are able to mount the tranny on sideways to lower CG.

and I think that your LHS is selling it for too much still, you can get them for $119 i believe at towerhobbies.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Tower sold out of them @ that price in like 2 days. I was talking to my LHS and they said their cost to get the CK is $180, retail is $240 so $160 is still a good price.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ok. my bad, I guess I got a good deal then for $129.00
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

CK On sale at tower..119...

$119

I got two!

lol
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #8

I jumped all over that deal too, couldnt say no, it is my first complete crawler, i have a few other projects i have been working on for quite a while (procrastination and other things needing $ spent on em)

Already thrashed it pretty good, upgraded some stuff and waterproofed it, its a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

WTF, I miss the best deals. Tower and ckrc both sold out.
crcoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

I got my CK to my door for $114.93.
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote