Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: getting my bro in law a bday present

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default getting my bro in law a bday present

i bought myself a rccrawler a few month's ago and my brother in law (turning 9 in feb) drove it and wanted one but wanted more of a 4x4 basher he picked the crawler king. its going to be his first real rc car. im going to be buying it soon here and ive got a few questions.

i know its going to need a battery and charger? any recommendations?

any thing that's known to brake within the first few days i should buy a spare of to have it ready?

what should i do to prepare the truck for its new owner?

anything i should think of that i havent? im 23 so i havent been 9 in a long time and dont really remember what i was like then. your help is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
chad
desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Its a good truck, pretty tough all around, if hes 9 I wouldnt worry about adding the front servo mount but I would probably upgrade the stock servo in its location to a more powerful servo. Maybe grab a spare spur gear incase he gets a little jumpy with the throttle. I run venom 5000 mah 7 cells and I swapped to deans connectors but thats personal preference. I use a duratrax onyx charger, programmable for my different nimh batts, has a trickle charger, and ac/dc input.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #3

i havent messed with the crawler king at all. But i do know its not going to be to impressive when it comes to bashing. Yea he will be able to jump off curbs and stuff like that. and crawl back up it. But i have a 35 turn motor in my king right now, and it gose about 15 mph. i dont know what the crawler king will go with a 55t motor in it. What running equement are u running in your king?
sobe164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

This will be a good 1st RC. I have ran the crap out of mine with no breakage. It is pretty tough. Just go the Radio Shack and Pick up a New 3300 MAH Stick Pack for $25.00, He will be able to run for over 30 minutes at full speed. You can pick up a cheap Dynamite peak charger from your local hobby shop. That will be fine and with that battery you can drop in a cheap 27 turn motor for more bashing speed. Yeah a couple spur gears might not hurt but I have not stripped mine yet.
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

thats good to hear he picked it out! i think he picked it out i think he picked it out because its a jeep haha! i hear its not gonna crawl as good as my rtc but i think he would get board with only crawling!

thanks guys im sure hes not going to be fixing his own rig just yet so i will be asking questions as he breaks things!
desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe164 View Post
i havent messed with the crawler king at all. But i do know its not going to be to impressive when it comes to bashing. Yea he will be able to jump off curbs and stuff like that. and crawl back up it. But i have a 35 turn motor in my king right now, and it gose about 15 mph. i dont know what the crawler king will go with a 55t motor in it. What running equement are u running in your king?

Depends on your definition of bashing. Alot of us consider non competition running as bashing, as your just bashin around to see what you can climb. If your referring to the Traxxas RC enthusiast definition of a tmaxx "bashing" around then ofc the wk is not made for this. However for a 9 year old I believe the motor that comes in it will more then suffice. Just my personal opinion though.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #7

stock there pretty slow but ive had mine for 4 months now and hasnt broken
dbking321 is offline   Reply With Quote