Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King was it the correct choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Crawler King was it the correct choice?

Hi,
I bought myself a new HPI Crawler king and I am just doughfull I did the right choice.
I read many things about the Axial to be a superior crawler out of the box.
Now the price range was about the same the only thing that pushed me to buy the HPI is that it looked a bit more "scale" than the AX10. I didn't buy the SCX10 since I wanted something that was capable of crawling.
Did I choose wrong?
I know I have to upgrade the stearing servo on the HPI, but other than that how does it perform compared to the AX-10?
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Hi,
I bought myself a new HPI Crawler king and I am just doughfull I did the right choice.
I read many things about the Axial to be a superior crawler out of the box.
Now the price range was about the same the only thing that pushed me to buy the HPI is that it looked a bit more "scale" than the AX10. I didn't buy the SCX10 since I wanted something that was capable of crawling.
Did I choose wrong?
I know I have to upgrade the stearing servo on the HPI, but other than that how does it perform compared to the AX-10?
Both of my Wk rigs crawl great. If you wanted a more scale rig, the Crawler king is plenty capable.

As for a comp rig ,it takes a bit to make it competitive. I have a ton of work in mine and does quite well. I have placed very well in a few comps and even won one with my rig.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What mods can be done keeping the original chasis, that will gain crawling performance, and that wont be too costy.....
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The crawler king already has some of the mods that the wheely king needs to be a good crawler(flipped chassis, locked diffs,and stretched wheelbase), but there is one part they missed out on. Even though it has a lower turn motor to help torque, it uses the stock gear ratio, which is too high for a crawler. Switch the stock 90 tooth spur gear for a 96t and the 21t pinion for a 15t or 16t. Also I found that swapping the two front tires(so that the tread points backwards) helped out. I'm using my modded wheely king, though, so I don't know how much it helps the crawler king. Mounting the servo on the axle will help a LOT with steering slop. Changing out the gears only cost me about $10 from RC Planet and a axle servo mount will run you about $15. Just these two mods will help crawling considerately.
Good Luck,
Nate.

Last edited by the Mad Modder; 02-23-2010 at 06:47 PM.
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Mad Modder View Post
The crawler king already has some of the mods that the wheely king needs to be a good crawler(flipped chassis, locked diffs,and stretched wheelbase), but there is one part they missed out on. Even though it has a lower turn motor to help torque, it uses the stock gear ratio, which is too high for a crawler. Switch the stock 90 tooth spur gear for a 96t and the 21t pinion for a 15t or 16t. Also I found that swapping the two front tires(so that the tread points backwards) helped out. I'm using my modded wheely king, though, so I don't know how much it helps the crawler king. Mounting the servo on the axle will help a LOT with steering slop. Changing out the gears only cost me about $10 from RC Planet and a axle servo mount will run you about $15. Just these two mods will help crawling considerately.
Good Luck,
Nate.
Thanks for the heads up.... I really apreciate it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I have the CK package and I have done some mods that have helped tons. I did the servo on axle and highly recommend it. Some of the other upgrades are rear axle lockouts to get rid of the steering knuckles. Front axle c-hubs and steering knuckles and steering linkage kit. STRC makes all of the aluminum with the exception of the servo mount, I made it from templates obtained in the servo mount thread. I bought the STRC stuff from www.amainhobbies.com It is in the parts section under Wheely King. If you are looking for a servo mount and other things go to www.eastendmachining.com they have servo mounts and a few other goodies. I also have learned that proline 2.2 moabs are too small for the CK, they are only 4.95 inches and you need a tire that is 5.5 inches to do any good in a comp. Hope this all helps.
Modean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modean74 View Post
I also have learned that proline 2.2 moabs are too small for the CK, they are only 4.95 inches and you need a tire that is 5.5 inches to do any good in a comp.
I'm a bit skeptical of 1/2" extra of wheel diameter being the difference between being good or not in a competition. 1/2" extra diameter translate to only 1/4" extra clearance(since you ride on only half the diameter). It shouldn't make that much difference to a skilled crawler. Plus, if they are so bad, then why do so many people use them on their comp rigs?
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sorry if I sounded like I had any skill driving. I am going to keep the moabs, I just need to get better before I use them.
Modean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modean74 View Post
I have the CK package and I have done some mods that have helped tons. I did the servo on axle and highly recommend it. Some of the other upgrades are rear axle lockouts to get rid of the steering knuckles. Front axle c-hubs and steering knuckles and steering linkage kit. STRC makes all of the aluminum with the exception of the servo mount, I made it from templates obtained in the servo mount thread. I bought the STRC stuff from www.amainhobbies.com It is in the parts section under Wheely King. If you are looking for a servo mount and other things go to www.eastendmachining.com they have servo mounts and a few other goodies. I also have learned that proline 2.2 moabs are too small for the CK, they are only 4.95 inches and you need a tire that is 5.5 inches to do any good in a comp. Hope this all helps.
Does the rear axle lockouts really help??? Also I don't get one thing why the rear has the same axle as the front this truck wasn't designed to be 4WS.... or was it?????
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Does the rear axle lockouts really help??? Also I don't get one thing why the rear has the same axle as the front this truck wasn't designed to be 4WS.... or was it?????
It was designed to be cheap. If they use the same axles front and rear, it keeps them from having to make extra parts for a straight rear axle.

BTW, a lot of people use the WK like a monster truck. Those all have rear steer, so it would make sense if they make their WK with 4ws.
Sephis is offline   Reply With Quote