Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Remaking the CK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Remaking the CK

So after an eye opener comp I decided to do some make over work on the crawler king. I already had the servo on axle and had changed the battery up to the front. What was really killing me (as it is every CK owner) was the high center of gravity. I also wanted to keep it with as many original parts as possible--I always find it funny when people call their vehicle this brand or that brand when all they have is the axles...So i clocked the motor..

I had to bend one link to get the motor in there..

Still left to do--extend the links to get my 12.5" wheelbase and maybe throw some bends in the back one. Also have to come with a really low battery mounting spot..
menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Look'n good, nice clock plate. Is that a bit of a cutting board used to widen the chassis ? Hows it preforming after the mods? You could use Nimb split cell C packs and attach them to your axles. It'd lower you C.G. a bit. Probably also help with crawling up and over rock fields.
uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yup that is the finest in space age walmart cutting board--easy to cut,drill and strong as hell! I haven't tested her out yet cause I was looking through my parts bin and find another axle servo plate so now it will be 4 wheel steering with a 12" wheelbase. Mounting the batteries is a pain in the ass--I have 7 cell NIMH's which I need for my other vehicles and I hate to make split packs just for the crawler--your right though it would certainly lower the COG--maybe I'll just make a few :P
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Whats your thoughts on the 4 wheel steering? Personally it caused me to upgrade in the transmitter/receiver department. Ended up getting a Futaba 4PK so I could control the little beast better . I do love the independent steering though. The ability to lock out, crab walk and 4 steer is AWESOME!

Man I sat down and took a look at my Wheely King. There's not much Wheely left in mine . Axles, one drive shaft and transmission (even it's got steel gears) is all that's left. But the best part is, my Ol King is pretty much one of a kind. Yep it's become a articulating, axle eating, 15 1/2" wheel base, voltage drunken MONSTER!!!!
Attached Images

uplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Bit of an update:

Widened the chassis, replaced side rails with alum ones, replaced the body and made it into a drag race style opening and added rear axle stear. Also upgraded the tires to some mud slingers which rock btw..

Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That looks like a good body for the WK axles. WK axle are so wide its hard to find a body to fit. Good job.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks--I'm really liking the rear wheel steer for this--it is a bit of a sacrifice scale wise but she turns on a dime now! I plan to throw in some leds and maybe a light bar up top with an equipment rack--dunno though, don't want to make it too cluttered. I know i'm going to be sad on my first roll over and those mirrors snap off but oh well she looks good now--and performs still!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #8

Menace, I really like your idea. I clocked my motor but only with the plate, not the whole transmission. Can you give a better explanation/pics of how you mounted the tranny and aluminum plate to the lower cutting-board plate?
joeltheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The motor plate is bent at 90 degrees on the bottom so it sits flat on the cutting board. Then, across the top I fabbed a 'Z' shaped piece of aluminum that secured the top of the transmission to the side rails. The water proof box then sets on the top. By doing this I could use pretty thin alum for the motor plate and still have lots of strength. I suppose if you used strong enough metal you could do away with the z-shaped piece along the top.

The side rails are also about 50% wider than stock which doesn't really impact anything but does give you more room to play under the hood rather than the skinny thing it was before...
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #10

Hey, menace! NICE bod on the scaler, yo! i've got one just like it, but i haven't put it to any use 'cause it's so dang heavy! ;P Thumbs up on the Mud Slingers!
CrazyHorseRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Time to blow the dust off this one. I ditched the wheely king side plates and cut some x-trail rails out of some high strength plastic and replaced the shocks with some spare TLT (i think) shocks I had around here. The idea was to get a little more scale frame under it. This will hold me over until I can get up the ambition to go into a tuber frame.

Got rid of the 4 wheel steer although I might put it back in and hook it up to my 3rd channel as a left-right-center thing, independent of the front steer. Body will be a lexan bushwacker painted up as "the king" of course