Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Stripped metal trans gears!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Stripped metal trans gears!

Ok, so.... knowing that the plastic gears in the trans would be an issue for the truck I was building, I bought and fitted uprated metal ones, but after about 7 or 8 battery packs..... well look:

The truck runs 2.2's, a 35t motor and a regular 6 cell battery... so its not like I'm over powering them! I let my girlfriends Dad, who's an engineer and machinist, take a look at them and he said the metal itself was junk.

Heres the thing, I bought the gears ages ago (truck got put on the shelf while I dealt with real life lol) and cant remember where I got them from. I kinda hope its not RC4WD as their gears are labelled as "hardened steel" and the gears I have are alloy, which is strange as I didnt buy the cheapest ones I could find or anything like that.

Does anyone out there know which gears I've bought?
And does anyone know for sure that the RC4WD ones are actually steel, not alloy?

Cheers
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't remember the company either, but someone was selling aluminum gears a while back. My bet is those are the gears you have there.
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Nope..

My RC4wd ones are on their way to looking like that. But my truck is waay nastier than your setup. They look like they coulda used some grease.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Metal gears can handle more torque, but wear faster than plastic gears. Are you sure you needed metal gears from the beginning? I have made several WK crawlers with the stock trans, and have had to lock the slipper, but never had any gear issues with stock gears.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Stolps: Cheers mate.

Rambuller84: What setup do you run? The gears and casing were covered in grease, hence the swarf sticking to everything (including me lol)

NFA: You think use the stock gears? I was trying to build it tough, as I hate getting out there and having stuff break. But of the stock ones will work I'll stick them back in.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #6

yeah that's cheap metal for sure true hardened steel would either snap the whole tooth off or ware like a powder where them picks you got chips shavings chunks almost has a cast look and you may want some new bearings after that also.
northerngames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The slipper mod would add a little protection.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Metal gears can handle more torque, but wear faster than plastic gears. Are you sure you needed metal gears from the beginning? I have made several WK crawlers with the stock trans, and have had to lock the slipper, but never had any gear issues with stock gears.
if you run good grease then wear shouldnt be a problem.

It looks like the op wasnt running any grease and overheated the gears (easy to do with aluminum)

I ran al gears for 3 years before I parted my truck (still have trans, gears look fine)
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

cheap metal or not. they are dry no grease, That equals failure..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

TBItoy/Sloppy: The gears were well coated on grease, you can clearly see the swarf sticking to everything because of it. First pic, see it sticking to the case, because of the grease. Second pic, see it sticking to the gears and general gunkyness of the gears, because of the grease...

The gears are a very bright silver when clean, but if you look in the pics they are dull grey... why? Because they are covered in, grease. I put it together so I know full well I put plenty of it in there.

They are just junk metal, going back to plastic with an epoxy'ed slipper gear and see how it lasts.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Those are probably CKRC aluminum gears.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

hawnmt: Thats the ones! Cheers dude!