Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Axle mounted battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Default Axle mounted battery

Hello everyone. I just purchased a used HPI Crawler King at the LHS. I got everything but the body for $60. I thought I got a steal until I started some teardown 2 weeks later. The tires are junk (falling apart) and the ESC doesnt work at all. everything else SEAMS to be good. I want to start making some mods after the holidays (need some gift money!! HA HA) and one of the mods I am a bit unsure how to do is moving my battery to the axle. (front or rear is ok, but I would prefer the front) I know the front may be difficult since I also want my servo mounted there. Does anybody have any advice or have you done something similar and can share your experience?

Thanks!!!!!
DADSanRCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axle mounted battery

You may have to make something. I think C. K. R. C. Still has a upper link battery mount. But parts are kinda hard to find.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought I would probably have to make something after shopping around for some inspiration and finding nothing. I had hoped someone here had done something similar and would share pictures.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

You might try looking the the WK picture thread. It will take a while but will be very enjoyable. I would think you could build an offset servo mount to move the servo right or left and mount a small plate on the other side of the axle with one of the small lipo's that are available now.I have mounted my wk servo in the center with no clearance issues and my frame has been tummy tucked and i'm running a droop suspension. I have now moved the servo to the pass side and still have no clearance problems. I removed the battery box and have the batt velcroed to the front upper links. I make all my patterns from thin cardboard and then alum plate. Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Thanks Hank.
That's actually what I have been doing. There are some great looking rigs in that thread. I can't wait to try and make a servo mount and I would like to try mounting my 2cell lipo on top of the servo mount. I saw a few pictures of a 6cell nimh mounted that way and it looked like a good way to get as much weight up front as possible. I saw some pics of a nice rear axle mounted tray and thought that would be a great place for my esc and receiver. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Sounds good. I mountedmy electronics on top of the rear upper links, just used a pc of thin vinyl and zip tied it to the links. I have some pics in the thread R2 trans in a ck. older pics but they show the links and battery and elctronics mounted. I have seen full size batts mounted across the front axle. I have always wondered what some of the really small lipo's would do in run time. Mounting would work out great, some of those are really small.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the small Lipos. I have been a traxxas rustler/stampede/slash guy up to now and thought about the lipos they use in the mini e revo.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I think I saw on ckrc's site some really small soft lipo's, but they were like 750 milliamp. I think they are used in comp crawlers for a specific section of the comp so runtime is not much of a factor, unlike trailing or play crawling. Also being that small it wouldn't help with forward weight bias as much as a hard case lipo or nimh battery would. Like you said tho the smaller 1/16 or 1/18 sized lipo would work ut really well. I am trying to make my nimh's and lipo's do double duty between my old school stampede w/ brushless power and my crawler king.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

I've always found these to be a good battery for axle mounting...

Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 2S 25~50C Lipo Pack

Last edited by heinz357; 12-30-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add pic
heinz357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Thanks heinz357, I have been looking at packs similar to that and that one is priced really well.

Axle mounted battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle mounted battery options cytogen G-Made Crawlers 3 02-11-2013 01:29 AM
Battery mounted on rear axle Smokem Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 12-31-2011 01:05 AM
axle mounted battery wheelytuber55 Newbie General 4 12-27-2009 10:51 AM
Axle mounted battery dpim Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 10-15-2005 01:26 PM
Axle mounted battery? MUD4FUN General Crawlers 7 10-28-2004 08:35 AM