Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK Sporting a Rockwerks body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

Smile WK Sporting a Rockwerks body!

Hey guys! So Ive got me a Wheely King modified to more of a rock crawler.
Locked Diffs, Stretched a bit in front and back...still planning on reversing the chassis to get my battery in front, however a new day has risen and my shiny new acrylic 80's style Toyota body from Rockwerks in Flaggstaff Arizona arrived!

http://www.rockwerks.com/index.html

Heres my inspiration

Here are some pictures i took while preparing and painting

REAMING - Cuttn holes in my precious

REAMING - The Holes fit...i can go on living

PAINT - So i spent waay too long taping the inside around the roll bars and guess what my chrome paint bled and looked like crap, so i rubbed some off and decided to just spray the brown primer over it, then later touch it up from the outside

PAINT - After the primer i did several coats of flat black

PAINT - 3 Coats of red on the outside - Without thinking tho I should have left and cut out some of the plastic coating on the outside better so to make it easier to make my own headlights and whatnot, I only did this around the roll bars - oh well next time - or more work for later :P

PAINT - After taping off, I added flat black to the bed and front bumper

PAINT REVEAL - I got ancy and pulled off the tape too soon like a chump and the tape stuck to the paint on the front bumper , oops! But thats why i used a brown primer, to make it look rusty! So ill work around it or clean it up later!

PAINT REVEAL - Tearing away the film i intentionally left on the Roll Bars to expose the inside paint job (and cover up with metalic sharpie).

WINDOW REVEAL - Pulling off the window stickers! This is when i began to chub up!

TRIMMING - Did a rough trim to get rid of the excess, left some around the wheel wells for later.

MODELING - Mounted and beautiful! I also used the same metallic sharpie to color the axels (which look waaaay better now) and to add trim around the windows (im thinking of using the black sharpie to cover up the metallic around the rear window). Full chub and possibly greased my underwear!

Thats all for now, I still want to finish the front bumper, paint me on a grill and possibly build working headlamps for it.
I need to paint the rear bumper and add some other details to just officially make it more baddass, it still needs Toyota written all over it!

The weekend is nearing! Ill have some sweet pics of this badass crawling in the Arizona jungle!
Cowflab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #2

Default New Pics

Took the trucks out on the trail yesterday (yea this is phoenix, it rained a bunch and all this green stuff showed up). My buddy had his Toyota Hilux (and yes im jealous).

Today im adding more paint to the truck, putting some black on the front windshield, and gonna paint on a rear bumper. I still need to finish the front bumper as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Man looks good. I'v never painted the outside. It would make it alot easier. Does the paint get skuft up?
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
Man looks good. I'v never painted the outside. It would make it alot easier. Does the paint get skuft up?
Absolutly and that is the point.

As it scratches it looks like rust under the paint and gives it a trail truck look.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #5

Cool More Details

I spent the day painting on the black trim in the front windshield, and across the top of the hood (gives it a little more detail) then touched it up with a metallic sharpie....oh and I also did the rear bumper, not much detail yet but it looks better than all red (im planning on drawing in the tailgate and latchs)

...and after that I got a wild hair up my ass and moved my radio from stock postion to being perpendicular with the gears and tucked under the truck a bit more, basically where a tranny would be. Then slapped my battery up front to correct the weight from stock, easier than reversing the entire chassis.

....then i got another wild hair up my ass and drew in the front grill and reamed out a couple of head lite holes, so now i have to build some tiny LED boxes and battery rigging!

(((notice the trail damage on that left rear wheel well - exactly why i painted the inside brown and then the outside red, its a crawler its got to have some body damage)))

that should hold me over for then night, tomorrow ill continue my quest for more detail. More to come!