RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   noob droop question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/71967-noob-droop-question.html)

jason3114 05-16-2007 07:27 AM

noob droop question

Hey guys, noob here, so bare with me. Anyway, I have a WK 4x4 on a SW 2 currently. stock electronics, 65 T motor, pede tranny, soon to be WK tranny & clocked motor plate, 9/93 gearing, 12.5 inch wheel base, custom links, narrowed HPI stock rims, Mashers, BTA steering, custom rear axel plate to match front, and I have a tuber almost ready. I have done my homework and thanks to all those who have posted such great ideas and templates! "thumbsup" My Question is: How do you set up a shock for droop and how vertical should they be? I have read with the "search" feature and I understand why it works just not sure how to assemble the shock to preform this. I have stock WK shocks for now and was going to run SAE 30 motor oil instead of shock oil. What size and strength should the inner springs be and where do they go? any advise would be great and hopefully I will have pics soon! "thumbsup" :twisted:

Harley 05-16-2007 11:02 AM

I am working on my first full droop setup right now but this is what i "know":

Run the lightest springs you can find, put them in the shock body first then insert the piston. This will "compress" the shock at rest.

Or JIA used 1000wt diff oil ONLY in the King Bling WK Tuber. He seemed to like it, so that is another route for you to go.

On a side note, I would keep the pede tranny.

BJoe 05-16-2007 11:40 PM

I'm playing with Savage shocks on my stock wb truck as a drooper, I'll keep things up to date as I get the time.

pbfrk4life 05-17-2007 03:44 AM

Im working on a full droop rig now. What i have found is that the lights springs arent the best. With to light of springs the shock will unload easly under strain, side hills, and steep climbs. Im actuially running pretty heavy springs.

To setup droop on stock wk shocks you need to get springs that are about 1 3/4 tall and the same innrer diameter of your shocks. Then remove the shock shaft and piston and place the spring under that. That will keep the shock compressed. Reassemble wit no external spring. I reccomend 100 weight, or something a bit less.

Bananaclip 05-17-2007 06:00 AM

You better get some additional tips if you plan on hangin with the $. :shock:

Cole82 05-17-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbfrk4life (Post 706779)
Im working on a full droop rig now. What i have found is that the lights springs arent the best. With to light of springs the shock will unload easly under strain, side hills, and steep climbs. Im actuially running pretty heavy springs.

To setup droop on stock wk shocks you need to get springs that are about 1 3/4 tall and the same innrer diameter of your shocks. Then remove the shock shaft and piston and place the spring under that. That will keep the shock compressed. Reassemble wit no external spring. I reccomend 100 weight, or something a bit less.

You might have your links setup a little off.

I can run mine with out springs and it doesn't do to bad. With the lightest springs I can find the front is perfect. It's still a little stiff in the back though.

cotharyus 05-17-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJoe (Post 706720)
I'm playing with Savage shocks on my stock wb truck as a drooper, I'll keep things up to date as I get the time.

I'm running droop on my WK with hotbodies threaded savage shocks. Personally, I think it's pretty trick, but then I'm a total noob at this whole crawling thing, so I may find out how badly it sucks this weekend at Green River. Anyhow, I'm running 100 wt shock oil in mine, and no springs, I have seen it unload twice climbing and once sidehilling but all three times I felt like the whole works was on the verge of tumbling by the time I started to see any unloading. I think a little CG work would go a long way.

jason3114 05-17-2007 02:17 PM

thanks guys"thumbsup"

keep the advise coming, Im sure it helps others besides me who are trying to run droop "thumbsup"

im gonna do some work tonight and will let you know how it works out! 8)

BJoe 05-17-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotharyus (Post 706964)
I'm running droop on my WK with hotbodies threaded savage shocks. Personally, I think it's pretty trick, but then I'm a total noob at this whole crawling thing, so I may find out how badly it sucks this weekend at Green River. Anyhow, I'm running 100 wt shock oil in mine, and no springs, I have seen it unload twice climbing and once sidehilling but all three times I felt like the whole works was on the verge of tumbling by the time I started to see any unloading. I think a little CG work would go a long way.

I've found that too, I'm going to try VMG springs on the inside with the heaviest shock oil I can find at home and maybe Traxxas black springs on the outside so I have a little suspension compression when needed for where I run at. I'm working on pics of it as it sits and will post them after work tonight in a new thread.

BJoe 05-17-2007 10:26 PM

Here's a link to the pics I posted
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...523#post707523

Bananaclip 05-18-2007 05:38 AM

I found that if you put some pocket lint with a little sandpaper in the shock it helps a bunch. "thumbsup"

jason3114 05-18-2007 06:36 AM

:shock: :shock: Ummm... Ok.... Lets try that :lol: