Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: I let the smoke out!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #1

Default I let the smoke out!!!

While working on my rear wheel steering last night my WK tried to make a break for it off of the work bench. I grabbed it and while I was trying to grab the radio to make it stop pulling the Jolt ESC went up in smoke. I do not know if it was due overload when I grabbed it and stopped the wheels from turning or the fact that I was tinkering with the steering servo wiring. Anyway the prettiest blue foul smelling smoke came forth from the esc and she is deader than a door nail.

I have three questions:
1. Has anyone else ran into this problem. (specifically test wiring servos in parallel? (no fuses were burned in the process)

2. Does anyone know how to put the pretty blue smoke back in that infernal little black box so it will work again?

3. Are Novak Roosters as good as they say they are?
rcmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

better get that smoke back in there. Once you let it out, things never seem to work again.

i have the rooster crawler and love it.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i have one as well and wouldn't trade it for anything
hijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I just got a Duratrax Intellispeed when mine blew. So far I love it.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

This must be the month of the ESC doom. Mine just died as well.
I was looking into the moped "Shipped for $30" in the vendor section. It seems to me that some people hate the moped, while other claim to have used them at nationals. For $30 I figured I would give it a try.
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #6

I am still new at this but my favorite esc for brushed motors has got to be the Pro-boat ESC it is completely waterproof has a 15t limit and there is no delay from forward to reverse. For only $40 you can't go wrong. the only bad thing about it is it only has 50% reverse power, but your not supposed to back up anyway right?
RCminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ive used a Moped and a Rooster, both work GREAT, I liked the moped because i could fit it in a project box with the rx and seal the box up for waterproofing
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have used the moped and didn't really like it for comp, no drag brake. so I switched to the Mamba Max and wouldn't use anything else, any turn motor, brushed or brushless and up to 12 cells no problem. I would call it industrial grade esc!!
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I just swapped in a Novak XRS when I wired the motor wrong, took it out of my Bandit since that is going to get a Velineon...eventually.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #10

this is from a sweedish 4x4 magasin:
aparently elctrical components is driwen by smoke, becuase when the smoke kommes out the component stops working
suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm bout to build a wheely king and i'm either gonna use a L.R.P. Quantum Runner Reverse 18T or the Mtroniks Viper RV15 - 15 T Reversible Waterproof ESC. Anybody know if the the Mtroniks is good. I already know pretty much everything about the lrp.
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCminded View Post
I am still new at this but my favorite esc for brushed motors has got to be the Pro-boat ESC it is completely waterproof has a 15t limit and there is no delay from forward to reverse. For only $40 you can't go wrong. the only bad thing about it is it only has 50% reverse power, but your not supposed to back up anyway right?
When you say it has a 15t limit is that the max. or min.?
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

He probably means 15T min.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Wheely King ESC

Does the ESC smoke easily? I was going to get a wheely king to fool around on a track I built but..........
hpi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #15

It think mine smoked due to my tinkering. The BEC circuit does not appear to take tinkering too well due to its limited capacity. Just my opinion.
When I was running it, it seemed to not like slow speed. It was not precise or maybe I was expecting too much. My hope is that the Novak Rooster will provide presision contol,instant reverse and the ability take high torque servos under a strain.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpi123 View Post
Does the ESC smoke easily? I was going to get a wheely king to fool around on a track I built but..........

Mine took alot of abuse until I put on the Trinity motor wires both on the positive side of the motor No magic smoke or nothing, but there was a slight smell of charcoaled circitboard and it refused to work for me from then on............;)
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpi123 View Post
Mine still works fine......Just gotta be careful (as with any electrical component) and not let any wires touch. Perfect little beater ESCs
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #18

Default A rooster is in the King!!!!

I installed a new Novak Rooster Crawler in my WK this evening and there is no,nada,nohow,noway comparison to the stock ESC. After reading several posts I had begun to believe that the stock ESC was workable and would make due but after trying the Rooster I can definatly see what the fuss was about. The power delivery is extremely precise and the drag brake makes it stick like glue (it takes some getting used to/no coast/no hesitation/ just stops)

Sum up= Remember the difference in how the lockers made your truck perform, now double that ability when the Rooster takes over with power distribution.

Just my 2 cents and a buck fifty to spare and no offense to those who run the stock ESC, if that is what you are comfortable with or money is a concern then great, just run it until it smokes. But if you decide to replace it try the Rooster.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #19

LOL!!! I smoked mine the 2nd time i run it. i was broke and got a dynamite tazer 15t esc from my lhs, so far so good! really cant beat it for $29.99 LOL!!!
WKer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #20

I put a Novak Crawler in my WK after the Jolt spit out blue smoke. I Over heated mine too much battery and and too slow of speed made it overheat. The Novak is very nice glad I bought it.
LosiDvr is offline   Reply With Quote