Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK not responding ; what fried ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #1

Default WK not responding ; what fried ?

Hi all , I've been lurking here for a while and the fun you guys are having convinced me to get a WK , I locked both axles with epoxy and I must say I was impressed by the little truck , except for the ESC that overheats even at freezing temperature = yes I am in Canada

it crawls pretty good in almost stock form , can't wait to stretch it and get a torquier motor .

here's my problem

ran around in the first snow of the season and after drying ,my WK stopped responding to commands , it beeps and wheels engage every second without any input from me , I probably got snow/water somewhere I shouldn't have .

I would like to know how to troubleshoot the thing so I can buy replacement parts to go break it again ;)

thanks in advance

Laurentides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

You can check the motor first by connecting it directly to the battery. If that works out... check the esc it's most likely this that got damaged from the melting snow.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
You can check the motor first by connecting it directly to the battery. If that works out... check the esc it's most likely this that got damaged from the melting snow.
thanks 4u2nv , but yes motor works since wheels engage in an out of control way .

how do I test the esc ?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentides View Post
thanks 4u2nv , but yes motor works since wheels engage in an out of control way .

how do I test the esc ?
I'm not quite sure how to test it... I would switch it with another and see of that does it. Do you have a spare? Make sure the crystal isn't loose in the receiver also.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Give it a chance to dry out completely before you turn it on again. You may get lucky and it work correctly once it's dry.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #6

thanks karlos , I dried it well I think with a blowdryer .

I'll try to be more precise about what it does now ,

I turn on the remote only and even if WK's switch is off I hear a constant chirping from (I think) motor area .

if I turn WK ON , then beeping and turning of wheels in a once every second tempo , beep beep / 1 sec /beep beep

no response from remote .

if I disconnect either one of the motor wires , chirping stops .
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Have you tried fresh batteries in your radio? When I first got my Wheely King I actually had a problem with the radio itself. It was doing wierd glitchy stuff like you are describing. I borrowed a buddy's radio and switched out the cristals to verify that it was the radio. Once I replaced the radio I didn't have any more problems. If you can, try a different radio. It may help you eliminate any radio problems. If the same problems occur it's probably time to get a better ESC.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

if you want to waste your time and check the esc you can take a volt meter and put the leads on motor connections and give it throttle if you get voltage then it should be just fine. if you don't your fried. ide recommend just getting a new better esc
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #9

I am far from an rc expert, but that sounds like a problem with the transmitter or reciever to me. Mostly the receiver since you say it got wet or frozen. Check the connections and cristal on the reciever.
Does it attempt to steer when powered on and ypu turn the wheel on the transmitter?
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #10

thanks edman87k5 I checked the connections on the receiver , seems OK , how can I tell if the cristal is still good ?

I did like cjkranwinkle@cableone.net said and put a volt meter to the ESC

don't know much about electronics or volt meters but it acted weird , didn't take any input from transmitter and peaked up and down .

so the ESC was crap anyway , what should I put in that would give my WK some precision and maybe better braking ?

as long as I will be driving down to my lhs might as well get a motor too , was thinking a 55 T for crawling .

any input apreciated
Old 11-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Mamba max, from Holmes Hobbies. And a Dominator motor. Or if money is no object, the colbalt motor.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #12

thanks for the advice

that Mamba Max looks good but kinda pricey, is there any ESC that would be precise and have good braking for less $$ ?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The WK stock ESC will beep beep (pause) beep beep (pause) when it is not receiving a signal from the transmitter
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Smile

A few weeks ago I posted a similar thread pertaining to the beep beep of the motor. Turned out to be the ESC had bit the dust. I went to the "vendors" section of the site and found a guy selling a pretty good ESC $30 shipped. It is a Moped 16...something. Here is a link to his thread if you are interested.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58265
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #15

thanks SeanD , it does that ; beep beep (pause) beep beep (pause) and also engages the motor for some reason .

thanks for the tip for that budget ESC duleonar , I'll look it up .

still unsure if it's my ESC , receiver or both that fried .

I would like to test if the receiver is getting my transmitter , so I guess I need to

power the receiver = question - can it handle direct current from the 7.2 volts battery or is the ESC sending less voltage/amps the way of the receiver and I'm just going to fry it connecting it direct to the battery ?

because right now the receiver is getting power through the ESC and if that is busted than I won't know for sure if the receiver is working . I did some testing using the plug on the receiver that goes to the steering servo with my volt meter and I get no difference in voltage when switching on or using the transmitter for turning the wheels .

I'm thinking if the receiver is working than it must be the ESC right ?

so my question is how do I test the receiver without having it connected to the ESC .

thanks in advance

Mike in Canada
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

One option is to take it the the LHS, and see if they will let you hook it up to working equipment for a quick test. They may also know of other ways to test them, or have equipment for that sort of thing.
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #17

of course the lhs could help ($$) but the idea is for me to learn and be able to diagnose/fix things on my own
Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

My recommendation would be to take the case off of both the esc and the receiver and wash them with some electrical cleaner to get any residue off of them. Then rig up a 4.5-6v power source (4AA's in a holder). Unplug the esc from the receiver and plug the power source into the battery slot on the receiver. If you have steering then your receiver is probably fine and the esc is the culprit.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #19

thanks John82601 , it was the ESC allright , thanks all for helping

got a tazer 15T , that's all the lhs had , it's weak on the servo , going to have to order another anyway , at least I can run it now in the meantime

they had a brushless combo novac goat or some such but they were asking 215$ plus tax I better buy online it's going to be much cheaper

I also bought rod ends and went to the hardware store to get me some allthread to stretch it , can't wait .

on a side note I'm a sucker for cute little trucks and they had the Micro Desert truck in stock , couldn't resist , 90$ + taxes , little sucker is a lot of fun indoors , runs well and fast as hell , works for like 8 minutes , here's a few pics .