Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: could the stock wk chassis win a comp???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Smile could the stock wk chassis win a comp???

Hi, i have a question for all of you...
can a wheely king with all this mods, could ever win a real crawler competition???

I mean ...how important is the chassis of a crawler?
is the wk chassis ok? im not talking about resistance, Im talking about performance or CG... could it ever win in a national crawler comp?

This is my setup... do i need (really need) (really reaaaallly need) to change the chassis to have a good performance, or it is ok???
i have the integy alum chassis but i think that is the same that the plastic one but in aluminium...

Novak Rooster crawler brushed esc
Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 65T
Spur gear 96t
Robinson 13 pinion
Traxxas Toe Links
HPI Universal Shaft Set E-Savage
Integy Purple Alloy TVP
Integy Purple Alloy Steering Linkage
CVDs in the front
Axial 2.2 Rocksters Beadlock
Pro line Mashers 2k m3
Self adhesive lead weights in the front... 120 G. in each wheel
Battery in the front
Nimh battery 3300 mah
locked axels
Hitec 645MG servo over front axle

Thanks a lot... and feel free to make all your coments!
alanpineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

All that and running on a stock chassis. Whats keeping you from getting a different chassis? I would say that you should get a different chassis. I would recommend a Da Bull from Double J.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Wheres the pitchers post????
Ok yes you can win comps with a stock chassised WK...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I dont know about a national but you should be able to win at a local comp with the stock chassis. but I would upgrade it myself the lower link mounts are kinda crappy a hard roll they are broke CG is high on the stock chassis. just bite the bullet get a good chassis.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
All that and running on a stock chassis. Whats keeping you from getting a different chassis? I would say that you should get a different chassis. I would recommend a Da Bull from Double J.

OK, but why???
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

this is my Rig...i bought this chassis, its made from aluminium...and it looks cool... but i want to know if its worth it to buy another one... and why?

is there such a big, big difference between this chassis made from integy or another one... talking about performance?

thanks a lot.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Adilynsdad too!

I beleive with the right driver and enough time and dedication to learn its strenghts and

weakness in every situation yes, a stock wk could win a comp...

An after market chassis is a good investment simply because the inventors/manufactors take most of the

guess work out of tunning.

They have already spent the time tweaking and tuning suspension link lengths and placement as

well as shock mount locations.

This makes it easy for the rest of us to be lazy bolt it up as per the manufactors directions/specs and

go crawl...

It has always been my thought that the best drivers take the extra time to know how their rig

performs in every possible situation...

Most of us will never take the time to do the same.

Have you ever watched any of the top drivers before their run?

They basicly run the course in their head before their actual run.

They know exactly the line they are going to take and what their rig will do in that particullar

situation.

For what it's worth, just my 2 cents

Last edited by braceysdad; 12-13-2007 at 09:28 PM.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I've only been to one comp but from what I saw, with the mods you suggest, it's not very likely.

For each comp, there may be a course or two you might do well on, but you would be competing againt very tuned rigs with very low COGs ... and some are gonna have dig setups.

I had the equivalent of what you mentioned minus the crawler ESC and didn't "finish" a course last time. Some spots I kept up with the highly modified tuber guys but I lost tons of points in some places for not having a brake (which you covered with the novak), but even more points for having to backup to make turns. I suppose on some courses it wouldn't make much difference but if you are competing on any sort of tight course and anyone else can do a dig, you are in trouble.

The stock chassis has a pretty high COG too. Other than that, it's pretty light weight and seems durable enough. I think I've gone about as far as I can with the stock chassis and I wish there were special classes for guys with stock chassis because it seems more like 1:1 to me. Most of the guys I see on a 1:1 trail ride don't have custom frames and even WEROCK has a stock modified class where you have to retain the stock chassis. Oh well. I didn't get mine to compete seriously, just to have fun
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpineapple View Post
this is my Rig...i bought this chassis, its made from aluminium...and it looks cool... but i want to know if its worth it to buy another one... and why?

is there such a big, big difference between this chassis made from integy or another one... talking about performance?

thanks a lot.

wow!rig looks nice.would it help to stretch it?
pickup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Talking

my Rig with the body on

Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
RCC Addict

That's a really nice rig. I suspect that winning a comp, particularly a national, comes down to driving skill and tuning more than any other thing. Your chassis doesn't have many options for link placement adjustment, but since it's aluminum you can drill holes, which helps. I would say you're off to a great start, but the only way to know if it can be really capable is to try. I say, run the crap out of it. Drive it as much as possible, monkey different springs, different shock oil, perhaps drill some new upper link mounting holes and try different geometry. Drill different upper shock mounting holes and try it. Tuning just takes time with any chassis. If you find it is a little too prone to roll over, try relocating the battery, try mounting the servo on the axle, try every different thing you can. When you get close to having the skill to win a national, you'll be able to answer your own question. Dig is the only other thing I would advise. It seems to be a must for comp use.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I would say you're off to a great start
i dont understand this... when you say that im off to a great start is than im doing ok, or the oposite?... im from mexico city... my english is not that good.

thanks...
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
... and some are gonna have dig setups.
im newbie, what is a DIG setup?

thanks a lot...
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

a dig basically locks your rear axle while allowing the front to spin freely, allowing your front to slide around and make a very sharp turn. I agree your off to a good start (meaning that you have a lot of good stuff, but it needs a bit more work). the biggest problem i see is your center of gravity. With a different chassis you can lower you COG and get a much better performing rig
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj05nismo View Post
a dig basically locks your rear axle while allowing the front to spin freely, allowing your front to slide around and make a very sharp turn. I agree your off to a good start (meaning that you have a lot of good stuff, but it needs a bit more work). the biggest problem i see is your center of gravity. With a different chassis you can lower you COG and get a much better performing rig

OK, thanks a lot!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I pretty much took the stock WK chassis and ran it for all it's worth. It works great, and even better once you get the COG down, but the thing that RELLY hurts the WK is the clearance under the center of the thing. I was CONSTANTLY getting high-centered.

So I went with a Double-J trailbeater
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
i dont understand this... when you say that im off to a great start is than im doing ok, or the oposite?... im from mexico city... my english is not that good.

thanks...
Means you're doing good. Also, your english is better than many of the americans I know, so don't feel bad.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Bracey'sDad pretty much summed it all up. You're doing well so far, but will need a different chassis with lower cog sooner or later. Your WK looks like a nice trail runner kinda scale Jeep. Have you been to a comp yet or at least gone and watched? Try running what you have a couple times and see how you do...you can always upgrade later.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Bracey'sDad pretty much summed it all up. You're doing well so far, but will need a different chassis with lower cog sooner or later. Your WK looks like a nice trail runner kinda scale Jeep. Have you been to a comp yet or at least gone and watched? Try running what you have a couple times and see how you do...you can always upgrade later.

Hi, Natedog
im sad to tell you this... i live in mexico city, and this hobby here is totally unknowed... i do not know a single person in here who have a rc crawler... no one!!!

all the equipment , all the transformation, and all the improvement in my rig,
its from reading from you guys...Thanks a lot !!!
i dont have anybody to ask in here about rc crawling... im alone!!!

you asked if i have beeing in a comp... the only comp that i have seen, is in youtube , but it only lasted 8 minutes...
(this is the moment when i cry ... lol )

i dont have no one to play here, but i like to do the right thing... thats why im asking about the chassis and other issues.

thanks for your reply ...
and again... thanks to all of you!

Alan piña

Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hi, Natedog
im sad to tell you this... i live in mexico city, and this hobby here is totally unknowed... i do not know a single person in here who have a rc crawler... no one!!!

all the equipment , all the transformation, and all the improvement in my rig,
its from reading from you guys...Thanks a lot !!!
i dont have anybody to ask in here about rc crawling... im alone!!!

i dont have no one to play here, but i like to do the right thing... thats why im asking about the chassis and other issues.

thanks to all of you!

Alan piña

that made me sad right there...:-( but happy I spent the money to support this site. Kinda reminds of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jhdZoPW1Q

I would say get some rocks from somewhere and try to duplicate what you see in the videos you watch... this way you can test your changes and dial your crawler in. The first thing you will see is that a Low Center of Gravity is the ruler of the rocks. Your jeep looks good and scale but would not compete on a national level, but could due well on courses that didn't have a lot of side hilling or breakover obstacles ( the belly would drag ). I have seen the guys of the BPRCA do well with a modified stock WK. I would try to figure out what you really want it to do, and continue building from there.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote