Proline Chisels 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Illinois tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Illinois tire question

Ok guys,
I know all 4 of these tires work well. But If you only had the cash to get 1 set which would it be. I'm leaning towards the comp claws but the rovers keep trying t pull me in. Also the panthers are just proven period. Then there's the chisels...Jeff likes them lol
Like I said. Moneys tight and my claws have served me very well and will go to a second crawler project down the road but I think busse has started to take it's toll on them lol.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I do like my chisels but, for the money the comp claws look realy good. Also, the comp claws are slightly shorter and for a non-moa rig, that can mean allot.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

id get the comp claws they are a lil taller than the orig claw and the lugs are off set witch will make them work better and they come with foams that i use in my carvers with a lil bit done to them and weight they rock!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

RPP has the comps in stock for 36 for 4 with foams. Seems likea sweet deal. I'm already leaning. It's hard to stray from an improvided tire that worked before lol. I just wanted to get some Illinois opinions. Crawling surface is diffrent here than elsewhere.

The only thing else I was thinking was that maybe like the rovers or panthers or chisels would work awesome on stuff the claws are not as great on? Then if needed I could toss on my existing claws for a comp and serve 2 diffrent tire purposes. Seems though that These new tires are very multi purpose.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I got a set of chisels few days ago and went out to busse a couple days after that. I was running the same lines from the the GTG on the 21st and I was able climb almost all the tall inclines that I could not get with my rock lizards including the gate that almost everyone had the stradle the gate on. I also use less weight in the chisels than the lizards. The are a great tire.
j182j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
MWRCA'er

Honestly, just about anything works.

I have the Panthers and they are a awesome tire. However, the down side is they require lots of foam tuning to get them to perform as they should. The carcass likes to roll under the truck as they have minimal sidewall stiffness. The compound just can't be beat, the height is good as long as you are watching your line. The sidewalls are just how I like them bare, You don't get them snagged in crevices.

I'm still not a big fan of the Chisels, far to chunky deep tread for me to consider them. Chunky tread is easier to snag in rocks. Also the tread like that doesn't seem to pawl as smoothly or as predictable into slick surfaces as a tire with more lugs. You often get a hop or snatch effect while the tire is struggling for traction. I've never had a set, just talking through past tire making experience here. Though people love them.

Rovers, not a huge fan of the rounded carcass. Square carcass tires seem to provide better forward traction. I prefer the Square type sidewalls as the rig seems to lock on to horizontal ledges and side hills better. The height still seems a bit much for me. I've had prior experience with larger tires around the 6" mark that were very very unstable on 2.2 comp rig. Though I really have no MOA experience with these tires and Ced seems to do great with them.

Losi's? No one knows it's all speculation. But, I feel they are the next best tire. Everything about the tire seems right to me. Maybe some of the tread is a bit tight and but it's nothing a little tuning with the dremel couldn't fix. Having tested some of the blue compound Losi 1.9 tires at Moab I can say the compound is amazingly good while still having good control.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I currently own three sets of Panthers, a set of Rovers, a set and a half of Chisels, an old set of Claws, a set of Badlands and several sets of Comp Claws on the way... Here's my take on what I've tested:

1. Rovers
2. Panthers
3. Chisels

The Rovers have good sidewall support and good tread contact patch, easy to tune when it comes to foams if you ask me, awesome traction overall too, good height obviously.

The Panthers have GREAT traction overall, seems that the rubber material of the Panthers is superior in comparison to the other tires, IMO. My only complaint is the weak sidewalls, makes it difficult to tune the foams. I like a softer foam to allow the contact patch of the tread to spread out, but if your foam is soft to allow this, with Panthers you suffer with sidewalls folding over etc.

So far with testing the Chisels it seems that the tread design and compound is lacking something, not sure how to explain it but overall I feel that the Panthers and Rovers outperform the Chisels when it comes to traction. Chisels have great height and sidewall support and they don't seem too difficult for foam tuning.

I believe that all three of these tires can be successful, but personally I would chose the Rovers, then Panthers then Chisels, Comp Claws to be tested soon.

Just my $.02
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I might have to save more money lol