Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Starved Rock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Starved Rock

Well guys the wife wants to take a trip to starved rock. Is there any good crawling there?? anybody ever been ??
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Park is to over protected. They don't even let you walk on the rocks. Let alone crawl them with the crawler. Expect to walk on wood decking.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yea might as well leave the crawler at home. Don't leave the path. They are waaaayyyy over protective there. Sucks cause. There are some killer scale revives there that'd be fun as hell!
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

There are a ton of park rangers there, but if you happen over to Buffalo Rock state park which is about 10 miles away I think you may have a shot at some cool crawling.
Cajunbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Yeah that park is crowded. I thought it was going to me and nature with interesting rock formations. Turned out I was fighting for a parking spot. Once I got on the trail it was like being at the mall loud people everywhere. Not a place if your looking to connect with nature. In all honesty I wasn't all that impressed with the rock formations either. I've seen much more amazing formations in Iowa and Wisconsin that you could just walk and climb on as you pleased. Guess that's Chicago for you though.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Buffalo rock is less populated but just as crazy protected. I asked a couple years ago about having a comp there and you would have thought I was talking about dynamiting the area.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Yeah that park is crowded. I thought it was going to me and nature with interesting rock formations. Turned out I was fighting for a parking spot. Once I got on the trail it was like being at the mall loud people everywhere. Not a place if your looking to connect with nature. In all honesty I wasn't all that impressed with the rock formations either. I've seen much more amazing formations in Iowa and Wisconsin that you could just walk and climb on as you pleased. Guess that's Chicago for you though.

Hey bro where abouts in Iowa? My step son is going to school in Iowa City. I see somebody elese talking about Devils Lake in WI, are there any other places I should know about ?? Sorry guys I'm originally from OH and really don't know the sites and parks outside of the northern berbs all that well.... I'm looking for a place I can take the family for a little get away and that I can crawl at LOL If they are gonna be happy I should be too LOL

Last edited by WarTrader; 03-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #8

I never knew Starved Rock was so strict, I grew up in Ottawa just down the road from there. When I was a kid we used to run around all over there.
scouperacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouperacer View Post
I never knew Starved Rock was so strict, I grew up in Ottawa just down the road from there. When I was a kid we used to run around all over there.
yes, I was told I;d have to leave if I kicked another stone off the path. I was disrupting the preserve. lmao
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Buffalo rock is less populated but just as crazy protected. I asked a couple years ago about having a comp there and you would have thought I was talking about dynamiting the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
yes, I was told I;d have to leave if I kicked another stone off the path. I was disrupting the preserve. lmao

You guys are to funny.... dynamiting the area,,,,kicked a stone off the path
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Hey bro where abouts in Iowa? My step son is going to school in Iowa City. I see somebody elese talking about Devils Lake in WI, are there any other places I should know about ?? Sorry guys I'm originally from OH and really don't know the sites and parks outside of the northern berbs all that well.... I'm looking for a place I can take the family for a little get away and that I can crawl at LOL If they are gonna be happy I should be too LOL

Maquoketa caves is a cool place.
Mwrca

Mcbride Spillway isn't bad either.
Iowa Mwrca

Coralville dam has a huge rock gorge.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info appreciate it
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouperacer View Post
I remember that it was pretty open in the early 70s but started to gain in popularity. Too bad because it was a nice camping/hiking area back then. They had the wooden path then also but only in certain areas for safety I guess.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote