Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Twin Force Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Twin Force Help

Thanks for reading guys.... Here is the question... I am in the process of building a Tube Crawler.... I am using Twin force Axles... My question is.... What am I going to need to Hop up the Axles.... Like Aluminum Hubs , Servo mounts, Etc... If you guys could list some stuff that would be great.....Are there any other items you guys use to make the Drive axles stronger ?
ap714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #2

The stock axle tubes proved strong on the twin before I cut it up and haven't finished my crawler yet.. but anyway, The only real flaw with the stock axles is how to mount the servo to them.. there are a few designs if you search around. I have mine mounted directly on top of the axle with some aluminum mounts and a cross beam I made from angle iron aluminum (its aluminum but they call it "angle iron" because of the shape - available for like 5 bucks a rod at homedepot). It looks like its going to be sweet.

The stock axles also have 14mm hubs hidden under the 19mm plastic hex's as alot of people on this forum have pointed out (not trying to take credit) I have noted that the drive shafts bind up if you turn the hubs all the way out, but with a steering linkage attached, it is impossible to turn the hubs out that far, so its kind of a moot point.

Yeah from looking around on here I kind of wish I had kept the stock chassis and tranny and used that as a base, but I guess I'm stoked on my own design , and you said you were building a tuber anyway

Good luck

I hate to namedrop, but from my experiences here so far, Johnrobholmes knows a ton about these axles, and is always nice, and Raptroman37 (or some other number) has been running them a while too. Both guys are happy to answer questions

_bR3T7
clodbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

With a lot of power/torque, you may look at upgrading the dogbones. Had to weld all four of mine after I twisted the ends off. That was locked up, geared down and a brushless on 12 cells. The front ring and pinion that come in the kit should be aluminum. These appear not to last if not shimmed properly. They can be replace with the steel ones when of if they shell out.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Axle case is Ok.
Stock hubs are aluminium.
Some people had the stock wheel shafts to break at the end of the threaded portion, but (sgrat sgrat) I've had no problem with them. Maybe there were different versions of them produced.
Anyway Savage ones fit perfectly as well.
Stock ring and pinion are soft alu alloy (actually it should be Zama) and are prone to self destruct easily. Some guy had them live longer shimming them properly.
Steel ones, from Mad RTR version (helical cut) or from MP7.5 (straight cut, more expensive) are definitely an upgrade.
I have a solid one-piece tie rod connecting the steering hubs, and this prevents any excessive potentially binding steering.
I kept stock shafts at front, but upgraded the rear ones to 8mm 304 Stainless steel from RCAlloy, who produces a nice solid spool also. See link.
When upgraded with Savage wheel-shafts, RCAlloy shafts and spool, MP7.5 ring and pinion, this axle is for me the most bulletproof axle you can find for RC use.
Placing steering servo and linkages has always been a homemade affair, as no direct fit parts are on sale for it, but see on this same forum what others have made.

Rockspider
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

I've upgraded to the steel helical cut ring and pinion. In my honest opinion,they are the way to go. Hands down they are stronger smoother operating(sp) and cheaper to buy than the straight cut gears. I've been locked solid and running 8 1/2" tall tires since the day my crawler was completed. I've yet to break a single thing.

On my sons crawler(Twin axles also) we just shimed the aluminum gears up tighter. I'd guess it's been about a year of beating on both. My son,which has a full throtle....show no mercy type of driving has yet to strip his gears.

I'd just shim your stock gears up and run em as long as you can. I';; agree that mounting a servo is tricky on Twin axles. Theres several ways,serch around and you will see. The first time I built my Twin(it's been tore down and rebuilt probly15-20 times modding things as I go ) I used the stock 2 link arms and made servo mounts out of them. Doing that kinda makes mounting your links ticky but you could buy a extra set of 2 link arms and use them for your servo.

I got tired of running whimpy servo's on the axle. I'm now running a single 1/4 scale mounted in the chassis with bellcranks on each axle for 4 wheel steering

IMHO,the Twin axles do require a bit more work but it's worth it. They are VERY stout as well as the tranny.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote