Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My 1/6 jeep Rubi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My 1/6 jeep Rubi

So, i figured why not. I bought this TXT for 200 awhile back. It was almost completely stock. Hot glue diffs, super rooster. Thats about it. Got a gd600 and a novak fifty-five. Didn't like the cantlever set up. Started modding.... Came to be a decent rig, maxx shafts and shocks. Some homebrew functional, but ugly, axle mounted servo mount. Then i see the same guy i bought the TXT from has a 1:6 new bright body. I figure why not, then went and picked it up. Also got a hitec hs-805bb sterring servo. I have a few questions, but first pics.......
Sorry for their low quality. Taken with my phone. I will try and get some decent shots outside soon. Will be snow crawling, but its something.

What was left of the original TXT

Initial mock up adn chassis plates (1/4 inch aluminum)

Tranny and 1 crossmember in.

Axle in. Marking where to cut.

Close to final ride height.

Shocks in. Final height.

Steering.

Final and some poser pics.....

My main question is, is there a special way im supposed to wire that 1/4 scale servo? I read somewhere that it might fry my esc if wired wrong.

Recomendation on wheel/tire combo? I would like to keep either 2.8s, 30 series, or 3.2. I would also like to keep the OD of the tire about the same.

Any input is appreciated...

Last edited by plyr2k; 02-18-2009 at 01:55 AM.
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

It looks like those tires should give you some good flotation if you plan on running in snow. Good lookin' Jeep!
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default ..

looks good,

I like it... I just posted a Clod version of one myself,

Its a fun project and its cool to see such big rig on the rocks and in action

Maybe its not your preference but I think it would look better if you hack the rims and tires narrow and bring them in a bit.

Cool chassis too! How heavy overall and how's it do on the terrain?

Too bad you're not a wee bit closer ;) or we could hit up some terrain and video (a wide stance shafty vs the overweight clod pig)

Last edited by WRXronald; 02-18-2009 at 07:03 PM.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald View Post
looks good,

I like it... I just posted a Clod version of one myself,

Its a fun project and its cool to see such big rig on the rocks and in action

Maybe its not your preference but I think it would look better if you hack the rims and tires narrow and bring them in a bit.

Too bad you're not a wee bit closer ;) or we could hit up some terrain and video (a wide stance shafty vs the overweight clod pig)
The rims are most definitely going to get cut. Then probably, the tires. It's HEAVY. Don't know excatly how heavy, but its a pig.
I havent had out on any rocks yet, but its cool in the snow. The tires chatter/ hop and it does some cool stuff. Do they come with lights? I'm not sure because i bought this second hand.
And of course, thank you so much for the kind words...
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
looks good,

Comes in right over 15lbs. So it would be more like two fat heavy crazy huge rigs running around. Would be killer though. A run with another rig this big would be epic. Yours looks good I like the narrowed M2Ks..

In the snow, i ran it again, it likes to dig. Have a nice big pile and different hills, angles, and depth in front of my house. I dont have alot of wheel speed because i CANNOT stand any kind of stall under any circumstance. I would rather break something then stall out.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyr2k View Post
I dont have alot of wheel speed because i CANNOT stand any kind of stall under any circumstance. I would rather break something then stall out.
yep that's heavy, very similar to mine. How in the heck do these things get so freakin' portly? Where would you say all your weight is, aren't those plastic wheels or did you load them up?

My wheels are heavy aluminum plus i added weight to the fronts. Seems like just under 50% of the weight of my whole rig is in the wheels/tires. I guess that's not really a bad thing for crawling. The darn bodies are heavy at 3+ lbs, you want alot of weight in the bottom half to pin it down.

Far as wheelspeed goes, i think its over-rated. Mine was running on 55T's with 13t pinions in there and 2cell lipos. I completely agree i don't want any stalling going on. If your motors can't SHREAD your drivetrain on will, then they aren't a good match for your rig.

That said after being out on the rocks i will say i finally think twin 55t's on 2s don't hack it for me anymore. When the rig was a stick and considerably lighter -- it was fine for torque, no issues anywhere. But with the extra weight now of the chassis and body and wheelweight -- it seems too heavy and up the steep incline it seems to struggle.

I'm going to try out twin brushless outrunners and 3 or 4 cell lipos see if that helps, and i'm gearing down to 9t pinions. That should up the power and torque considerably i'm expecting.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
yep that's heavy, very similar to mine. How in the heck do these things get so freakin' portly? Where would you say all your weight is, aren't those plastic wheels or did you load them up?

My wheels are heavy aluminum plus i added weight to the fronts. Seems like just under 50% of the weight of my whole rig is in the wheels/tires. I guess that's not really a bad thing for crawling. The darn bodies are heavy at 3+ lbs, you want alot of weight in the bottom half to pin it down.

Far as wheelspeed goes, i think its over-rated. Mine was running on 55T's with 13t pinions in there and 2cell lipos. I completely agree i don't want any stalling going on. If your motors can't SHREAD your drivetrain on will, then they aren't a good match for your rig.

That said after being out on the rocks i will say i finally think twin 55t's on 2s don't hack it for me anymore. When the rig was a stick and considerably lighter -- it was fine for torque, no issues anywhere. But with the extra weight now of the chassis and body and wheelweight -- it seems too heavy and up the steep incline it seems to struggle.

I'm going to try out twin brushless outrunners and 3 or 4 cell lipos see if that helps, and i'm gearing down to 9t pinions. That should up the power and torque considerably i'm expecting.

Seems like you're going balls out. I have less then 300 into this entire rig... It was kinda like a budget build, with alot of my own material. My wheels are plastic, and empty. No weight added there. I would say most of my weight is the chassis itself, then i run a 7 cell sub-c pack. Thats not light either. Combine that with the TXT axles, TXT tranny, 1/4 scale servo, that adds up fast. I run a single novak fifty-five with a 106:1 gear reduction (i think). It might hit 2-3 miles an hour. I think i need to gear up, but there is no stall, and i wouldn't want it any other way.

I haven't really done much research, but the lipos kinda scare me. Im sure ill make the jump sometime, and then eventually brushless, or a puller...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default ...

yeah there's always the puller i've heard those are great.

i did go a bit all out here but i've had the clod base for quite some time so my today outlay was just the jeep body, and now the brushless motors (already have the esc).

The batts were easy for me since i already had a bunch from rc heli hobby. I don't blame you for being scared of the lipos, ALL of mine are stored in a fire-proof safe when not in use and I have to be very cautious with them.

I am sure there are some others around who may not take these measures, but they are are very serious fire hazards and not to be toyed with.

i crashed one in my heli once and banged it up good. Didn't know at the time that i slightly punctured it... well i knew to be careful with it and checked it next morn and poked it slightly (didn't want to handle it) and BLAM it went up in flames and I'll tell ya its SCARY!!! These things can and do burn white hot and FEROCIOUSLY if provoked...

if you care for them and are careful with them, they are safe. But it just takes one incident to be the last. I've heard the stories --- > the dog got ahold of it, i crashed and put it in the back seat of my car and forgot about it, or i left it in the car in the middle of the summer heat... nothing left of the car when its left.

Anyways, enough of my rant, i'm jackin' your thread, sorry.

The rig is great -- that you built it up for so little $ is all the more impressive. 1/6th stuff definitely adds up quick.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
yeah there's always the puller i've heard those are great.

i did go a bit all out here but i've had the clod base for quite some time so my today outlay was just the jeep body, and now the brushless motors (already have the esc).

The batts were easy for me since i already had a bunch from rc heli hobby. I don't blame you for being scared of the lipos, ALL of mine are stored in a fire-proof safe when not in use and I have to be very cautious with them.

I am sure there are some others around who may not take these measures, but they are are very serious fire hazards and not to be toyed with.

i crashed one in my heli once and banged it up good. Didn't know at the time that i slightly punctured it... well i knew to be careful with it and checked it next morn and poked it slightly (didn't want to handle it) and BLAM it went up in flames and I'll tell ya its SCARY!!! These things can and do burn white hot and FEROCIOUSLY if provoked...

if you care for them and are careful with them, they are safe. But it just takes one incident to be the last. I've heard the stories --- > the dog got ahold of it, i crashed and put it in the back seat of my car and forgot about it, or i left it in the car in the middle of the summer heat... nothing left of the car when its left.

Anyways, enough of my rant, i'm jackin' your thread, sorry.

The rig is great -- that you built it up for so little $ is all the more impressive. 1/6th stuff definitely adds up quick.

You aren't jakcin my thread. I brought up the topic, so you explaining it is not jacking anything. Its useful info, so its all good. Still scared.... You for sure didnt help any. Ill stick with Ni-Cd. Or Ni-Mh.. I need 4" shocks. Anybody recomend anything??
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

omg i built the same thing before look
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I got a question but before that, nice lookin rig!. I do agree that narrower tires would look more scale. Something like 37x12.5's.

How does that draglink hold up to the abuse? i noticed the angle is pretty steep. Do you get bumpsteer? I am considering mounting the steering box to the frame like yours (1:6 gladiator build in this forum) but it will have a steeper than normal angle and I was curious how it holds up or if there are any negative affects to it.

Thanks
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote