Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: swamp buggy.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default swamp buggy.....

Ok so ever sence I was a little kid I always thought swamp buggys were cool looking, I cant find to many pictures of them online. I used to see these things all the time by the bayou but that was when I was a kid,
The first picture is of an old one I took a photograph of in Alaska, I will be trying to copy it as best as i can but using other buggys and skidders for ideas to. im not sure what scale this is but the wheels are 3" tall so i figured i would put it here

heres what im starting with.

took the axles wheels and tires and junked everything elts.

locked both axles and trimmed the front axle and got rid of the cheepy steering box so I can put a servo up there

quick simple chassis

its a roller !

more later
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

uhh I thought when you said Swamp buggy it would be one of the those buggy racers, you know narrow front tires , narrow body a cross between a boat and a drag car, goes wealy fast through swamps
guess not

well have fun
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
uhh I thought when you said Swamp buggy it would be one of the those buggy racers, you know narrow front tires , narrow body a cross between a boat and a drag car, goes wealy fast through swamps
guess not

well have fun
haha that may be next on my lilst, this will be a mud /tow rig so ima have to build a fast mud car some day! I remeber the first time i saw thos mud drag race cars was when i was young at like 2am on espn haha those things are sweet
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ok so I need some opinions, I realize ultimately it is my desision but just wondernig witch way I should make this body??? Should I make it like style one like the first two pics of the red buggy or like style 2 like the yellow buggy in the 3rd pic. the will both be using the same front end, also i drew this to scale each square is 1 inch I derw the wheels and wb then drew the body to fit . lmk!!!!!!!! i kind of like style one more but still not sure...

both will have the muffler I just did not draw it on style 2 because you cannot see the angle in the windsheild .

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I vote for #2.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

have you seen the tv show on discovery..."Swamp Loggers"

Now those guys got some serious floatation

..may I suggest a log grappel hook and recess the lift beam into the body a little,
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Cool looking project.
Down here in Naples FL, we have a swamp buggy races. Some of the guys build them for hunting in the everglades, but the racing ones are amazing machines. Here are some links to take a look at and see what I mean.
http://www.swampbuggy.com/
http://www.naples-florida.com/swampbuggy/photo1.htm
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Gadge- ya i have see those shows theyr cool, i wouldent mind building a skidder one day but the way the back axle is on this radioshack truck it wouldent work with a rear grapple hook, i wouldent mind trying a project like that next though

caymin last, thanks man! thanks for those pics man!

i think im going with style 1 ill have more updates tonight ive shortaned and brought up the chassis a bit, made the driveshaft and am starting on steering wich once i finish it will move on its own power and i can start cutting styreen
Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would go with option 2. Looks like a good concept. Keep the updates coming!
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Those machines are called rolligons. They are used in areas that the EPA or FERC designates as "protected" or endangered. They are extremely high flotation rigs that are usually amphibious. The company rolligon was recently purchased by NOV. You can check out more specs and pictures at www.rolligon.com That should forward you to the NOV website. I was just thinking about making one of these with some clod wheels and tires and some kind of solid axles. There is no suspension on the full size rigs. All of the dampening comes from the tires. They also have articulated steering. Pretty cool stuff!
SteepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote