Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Suspension and tires help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Default Suspension and tires help

I am into 1/6 scale rc paintball tank battles. Part of the hobby includes use of supply vehicles. I have converted a 21st Century Humvee to haul supplies. The electronics were converted to a Sabertooth 2x25esc and a Hobby King 2.4ghz wheel radio.
Now I would like to make a better suspension for the rough desert terrain. This board has a lot of builds I have admired and would like any suggestions you all may have.

Thank you.
showa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suspension and tires help

Welcome! I think it's really cool that you can use support vehicles for the tanks! There's a few of those 1:6 scale HummV conversions on scale4x4rc.org, it seems that they like to use Slash 4x4 platforms for the conversions. Post up some big pics of the tank, I'd love to see it.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

Thank you BigSki.. If you are in MD, then your right at the founding fathers area of these tanks.

Kurt
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Here is a link to scale Hummer beadlock wheels...
Humvee 2.2 Internal Beadlock Wheel

And here is a link for scale off-road tires..
2.2 Tires
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Thank you for the wheels and tire links. Those are great looking wheels.

Do you guys think that replacing the mono springs with actual momo coil over shocks would make a big difference in the handling of the stock suspension ?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by showa View Post
Thank you for the wheels and tire links. Those are great looking wheels.

Do you guys think that replacing the mono springs with actual momo coil over shocks would make a big difference in the handling of the stock suspension ?
I don't know what the stock suspension looks like. Can you post a phot of the undercarriage? Any upgrade from stock should help with performance.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #7

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/96/96/...5lQhlBQ_th.jpg

Hope this works to give an view of the suspension.

Or this .

Kurt

Last edited by showa; 01-24-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by showa View Post

Kurt
Weird - each side fights the other as the suspension cycles over terrain? For carrying a load of .68 caliber paintballs out to a tank that looks borderline. Also it's hard to see the rest of the chassis, but it doesn't look like much to see (reminds me of an old-school torsion chassis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki
Welcome! I think it's really cool that you can use support vehicles for the tanks! There's a few of those 1:6 scale HummV conversions on scale4x4rc.org, it seems that they like to use Slash 4x4 platforms for the conversions. Post up some big pics of the tank, I'd love to see it.
I've seen a couple nice HUMVEE's on Slash 4x4 chassis, they're true to the form (full IFS) and tough as nails. You might be better off ditching all of the chassis you have now if you want to get ammo out to the field w/o having to worry about babying a chassis, you can beat on the Slash chassis w/o worry...

I've seen what you're doing online (rctankcombat.com - do you have any builds in there?) I think it would be fun as hell. I play on a tournament paintball team, combining paintball with rc tanking seems like it just might be too much fun at one time...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies... Sorry haven't replied earlier, life gets in the way sometimes...

Big Mike, here's a shot of the chassis. Stock gear boxes and motors. Sabertooth 2x25 ESC, Futaba y steering servo, 12v 7am battery.

My tank is build #12. John Pittelli did the build for me. I am now converting a Plastic Panzers Grant/Lee to be a combat tank. Just started on it. Will use Dewalt 18v right angle drill motors and gear boxes for power, over volted to 24v. Haven't done much yet but plan and buy little parts so far.

Suspension and tires help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension lift, wheels and tires! warfile Tamiya XC/CC01 30 06-11-2012 08:24 PM
Suspension setup, tires hitting wires coming out of motor thekevin Redcat Crawlers 6 12-08-2010 10:42 AM
rustler suspension arms versus bandit suspension arms... STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 5 08-30-2010 11:05 AM
new suspension/lights/tires 1-18-05 phillyb Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 01-18-2005 09:53 AM