Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WD shocks?? Anybody using them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RC4WD shocks?? Anybody using them?

So these are just reeeeeally sick looking. Ginger wants me to install a set on Ol' Blue...

The problem is there's just not a whole lot of options for spring rates. Well, in fact there are no options at all. Seems like you purchase them and you get what you get.

As pretty as they are, they'd be bloody worthless if they didn't hold Ol' Blue up properly and I couldn't put heavier rate springs in to compensate. I don't think I could put her on much of a diet, she's already pretty light for a G.I. Joe Jeep at a little over 9 lbs.

Anybody running these, or the plain blue/silver dual-spring shocks which seem to be very similar? BigSki you had the dual-spring shocks on the orange Jeep right?

There almost seems like there could be an aftermarket for springs. I mean, you can't just throw this same setup on a 6 lb. truck or a 9 lb. truck, they'll behave completely different. The light truck may be over-sprung and never even use 1/3rd of the total travel, the heavier truck would be under-sprung and sitting on the bump stops at rest. You have to tune suspension, and adjusting spring rates is one of the most important factors...

Last edited by Big Mike; 01-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC4WD shocks?? Anybody using them?

I run them on a 9+ lb rig and they seem to work great. I run a few drops of 20wt oil in them to keep them from getting sticky. There is not much for rebuild/compression dampening though.

I'm told that the springs are the same diameter as Axial SCX springs, so you do have some tuning options. The stock ones work well for my application.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
So these are just reeeeeally sick looking. Ginger wants me to install a set on Ol' Blue...

...BigSki you had the dual-spring shocks on the orange Jeep right?
yeah, I have the black colored ones on the Orange Jeep. The springs are right at the point of being too soft but with a light finger on the throttle joystick ( DX6i, remember ?? ) they will hold the Jeep up, plus my pig weighs in at 14 lbs.

When I got the shocks I had to remove one of the o-rings and make a spacer to fill in the extra void because the shocks were too sticky to move smoothly.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
So these are just reeeeeally sick looking.
i agree.. they are nice man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefalls View Post
I run them on a 9+ lb rig ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
...plus my pig weighs in at 14 lbs.
DAYUM!!!! I thought my ax10 weighing in at 6lbs 4.8oz was a lot!!!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I bought a set of the non piggy back kings and i was seriously disapointed.

Ass bada$$ as they look they dont function worth a damn, there not really shocks at all just really cool looking coil springs.

Hats off to rc4wd for there awesome products but you'd think for that kind of money they could throw an o-ring and some shock oil in there.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefalls View Post
I run a few drops of 20wt oil in them to keep them from getting sticky. There is not much for rebuild/compression dampening though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
Ass bada$$ as they look they dont function worth a damn, there not really shocks at all just really cool looking coil springs. Hats off to rc4wd for there awesome products but you'd think for that kind of money they could throw an o-ring and some shock oil in there.
Yea, I have to agree there. They put that much effort into making them look as good as they do, but if they don't hold oil or have a piston to control the rebound, it really seems pointless. I'm glad I asked.

I guess some Powerstrokes would probably be a better deal. They look almost as nice, they actually hold oil and do the work a shock is supposed to do, and they're 20 bucks or so cheaper to boot...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Big Mike, This is what's going on my GI Joe Jeep when I get it built.
I just bought a set for my 1.9 TJ scaler and they are the cat's meow

Oil reservoir actually works and adjustible without changing oil or springs. You can also go the oil and spring route and have even more adjustability.
Double o-ring shaft seals.
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a set of the g-made XD diaphram shocks on my 1/6th f250 they hold it up very well. I did swap out the stock springs that came with them for some old traxxas springs cause it weighs over 21lbs and its not finished yet

but for under $30 you just cant beat it

I'll be buying up a couple more sets for all my other rigs
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The G-Made XD's actually look pretty interesting now. They're actually tunable via a little valve inside?

They do look nice that's for sure...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Mike, You get three different pistons with them, (2, 3, & 4hole) and there is an adjustment screw at the bottom of the remote reservoir. The screw adjusts the pressure, not the travel.
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

It looks like the screw takes up space in the piggyback, which I assume is going to increase volume in the body and give you some extra tunability.

These piggybacks actually function! And sounds like the slightly bigger diameter will make finding stiffer springs easier if needed. To top it off, they're cheaper! These look like the ticket...

Thanks for the input guys