Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Possible MOA setup via servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Possible MOA setup via servos?

I just saw this video, but I cant think of a way to make a servo work like these do as MOA with it being worm drive. any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAk24...1&feature=fvwp

I think it would be really hot to have a micro stick or torsion chassis with MOA.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I didn't realize you could get a servo that constantly moves in the same direction, that's pretty sweet. Wouldn't we be able to use motors, like on the Losi comp crawler's MOA kit.......
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I didn't realize you could get a servo that constantly moves in the same direction, that's pretty sweet.
I believe all you have to do is eliminate the pin that stops the motion...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

the POT too, find a way to stop the POT from moving.
Gen3_Teg_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It's been done for servo winches, as well as those micro rigs that run a servo as the motor. With regular motors you would need ESC also. That's the cool thing about 2 servos, they would have proportional throttle control built right in and just plug into a reciever. I think it's a very possible idea, someone just needs to source the right gears to fit the servo and pinion output. The bracket to mount the servo would be the easy part.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah i used a busted servo PCB as a controller for a 3racing winch awhile ago. i never found the magical number of resistor to replace the pot to keep it centered. but if you were to find that number, OR glue the pot at center and or trim your radio to center it, you would have it made, then just use a 2ch RX and a y cable, no ESC needed.

maybe some type of a belt drive with a idle pully keeping it tight? OR adjust the servo on the mount to keep it tight?

just some ideas. maybe we will see a 4ws, servo powered micro pop up soon?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
20K Club

The axles in the micro are only 12:1 so it is going to take a powerful servo. Going to get way too bulky.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Oh, I just saw worm gear and expected deeper gearing. Too bad they weren't 30:1 or similar.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

if some1 was to do this u wouldnt need all that strong of a servo. lots of ppl us hs55's on xmod crawlers including myself at one time with out any problem and plenty of torque and they dont have much reduction
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
if some1 was to do this u wouldnt need all that strong of a servo. lots of ppl us hs55's on xmod crawlers including myself at one time with out any problem and plenty of torque and they dont have much reduction
know of any GOOD forums about this and or xmod crawlers?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
know of any GOOD forums about this and or xmod crawlers?
www.xmodsforum.co.uk i used to be on there alot when i was into the xmods before i came back to the 1/10th scale
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I didn't realize you could get a servo that constantly moves in the same direction, that's pretty sweet. Wouldn't we be able to use motors, like on the Losi comp crawler's MOA kit.......
Servos converted to motors have been used a long time on the micro crawler scene
_NICO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
yeah i used a busted servo PCB as a controller for a 3racing winch awhile ago. i never found the magical number of resistor to replace the pot to keep it centered. but if you were to find that number, OR glue the pot at center and or trim your radio to center it, you would have it made, then just use a 2ch RX and a y cable, no ESC needed.

maybe some type of a belt drive with a idle pully keeping it tight? OR adjust the servo on the mount to keep it tight?

just some ideas. maybe we will see a 4ws, servo powered micro pop up soon?
you need two 2.2k resistors,,,red red red is the color descriptor,,attach one end of both to the center pot connection then the other end of each to the outer points of the pot connection...but just leaving the pot on the board and centering it under power is actually easier cuz then you can always adjust it,,just a pply a spot of silicon to the stem so it wont move but you can remove it if you need to. its easy to cut the pot loose and add wires to it and pig tail it to the outside of the servo so you can access the pot with out opening the servo

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 12-03-2009 at 06:45 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

thank you very much. now i have a complete winch setup i can sell off!

I had no idea there was a micro crawler scene before this rig came out! gotta start looking around! i think the losi takes the cake on performance, looks, etc.