Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Some worm drive questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Some worm drive questions

I'm thinking about using the micro rock crawler worms in a larger scale project. I need lots of reduction and a very small footprint (RC18 diffs are what i'm using now, but they are too big). I have a few qustions:

The lower gear is brass but is the worm metal? is the 3mm shaft removable or is the worm all one piece?

The axle ratio is 12:1, right?

how do the axleshafts engage into the brass gear? the pic makes it look like the axle shafts are round with a rectangular key protruding. Do the axle shafts' bearings locate the brass gear in the housing?

I haven't hear of anyone breaking the axle gears, so i'm guessing they are pretty tuff.

the part on question:

Thanks for any help.

Here is a picture of my rc18 solid axle. The pumpkin is about a cubic inch which is why im looking at the worm gears; Smaller housing, lower gearing, smaller drive motor.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...t/IMG_0043.jpg
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
jwo
Rock Crawler

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/McRCPriceList.pdf

heres the parts explosion. the gear pretty much floats in there. there is an inner and outer bearing for the axle shafts that align the gear. they have a hex end on them that goes into the gear. its pretty simple. both axle shafts go into the gear, then locking it. the axle stubs are wha keep the kaxle shafts in the gear. im not sure what the material is for the worm. it is one piece. i only took mine apart to make sure they were lubed up good. so i never took time to check out the parts by themselves. they are strong. alot stronger then i though they would be. im also not sure about the ratio. mabe some one else can fill you in on those answers.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
On the lookout for Rocks

Gear Ratio should be 11:1. 11 teeth on the brass gear. The worm acts as a single toothed gear
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Gear Ratio should be 11:1. 11 teeth on the brass gear. The worm acts as a single toothed gear
I believe it is 12:1, pretty sure there are 12 teeth on that gear.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote