Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: How To: Make a Scale Exhaust Pipe for less than $1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How To: Make a Scale Exhaust Pipe for less than $1

This works better on smaller scales but it was from my days with 1/28 RC cars some 4-5 years ago.
What you will need:
Old Antenna from a controller(preferably chrome and preferably one that broke)
Pliers
Some kind of glue(I used hot glue but one who may want a cleaner look though it won't be seen, may use something else)
OPTIONAL:
Dremel(I didn't need mine though)
Something to widen the "pipe" out depending on the size you are using(I didn't find this necessary)
Time It Takes to make it(approx) 3-5 minutes
OK so let's start shall we?
I'm sure we all have broken antennas back when we used AM or FM radios(I know most still do). Whether you weren't careful and pulled it too fast, or didn't retract it from the bottom and bent/broke it. Depending on the size of the vehicle you are using, you may want to use a larger antenna or the smaller part. What I used is from my Kyosho Mini Z. The antenna broke and the little brass(brass right) clippings came out making it unusable. Time to put it to good use

I chose to work with this end of it, that way it's not too big where it looks non-proportional on my micro Scaler, but better than the tiny one included in the kit

Now here is where you may want to use a dremel. I didn't want to grab mine so I figured it wasn't needed. Now you don't necessarily need pliers either, but it makes the job easier.

Bend and break off any excess antenna, at first I started out small, and gradually made my way until I had the desired size

Now take your current "pipe" and bend it to the desired angle

I kind of screwed up and bent it too far, to the point where it broke a bit

But I used some hot glue to patch it up.
Now depending on the rig it is installed in, mounting will be different. For my Silverado, I mounted it just behind the wheel well with some hot glue, then fixed the break by patching it up with some hot glue, can be seen it this picture.

And your final product should look something like this

Enjoy and hopefully this tip works out for you too. I do know some larger transmitters(generally plane or heli) have larger antennas, so also larger pieces so may be suitable for some rigs, but I cannot promise this.
Ian
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Cool thinking, man. Good way to recycle some materials and save some cash.

I was thinking as I was reading: if folks have made their own links for their McRC, and may or may not have a little tube bender, the aluminum tube people are using to sleeve the links could work; it may be a little narrow but it'd work in a pinch if there's nothing else.

Come to think of it a little bender wouldn't be hard to make and may have helped with that bend you made - a little block of wood, some screws and perhaps a few socket heads to put over the screws (in attempt to influence the bend radius?).

Thanks for sharing.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Cool thinking, man. Good way to recycle some materials and save some cash.

I was thinking as I was reading: if folks have made their own links for their McRC, and may or may not have a little tube bender, the aluminum tube people are using to sleeve the links could work; it may be a little narrow but it'd work in a pinch if there's nothing else.

Come to think of it a little bender wouldn't be hard to make and may have helped with that bend you made - a little block of wood, some screws and perhaps a few socket heads to put over the screws (in attempt to influence the bend radius?).

Thanks for sharing.
I probably could have done it, but at the time all I had was my pliers and my hands..oh and my floor. And actually that's a good idea with the aluminum tubing!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampedekid View Post
...at the time all I had was my pliers and my hands..oh and my floor...
That works for me much of the time, too!
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
That works for me much of the time, too!
Yep, floor, pliers and hands are the greatest inventions for this! Anyway just for some durability tests for you guys wondering, will it hold? I did some trail running with my new setup out on the rocks(lowered rear) and the pipe suffered no damage. Granted my transmission mount fell apart but the pipe seems all good. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be back up and running so I can shoot a quick video and show the pipe a little more, so you guys know I'm not lying!