Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: wheel wideners came

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default wheel wideners came

this: http://www.crawlerx.net/index.php?ma...products_id=69

came today. it has 2 crawler-x stickers, 4 extension pieces, 4 nuts, and 4 tiny clear plastic/rubber bands... what are the bands for???
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
this: http://www.crawlerx.net/index.php?ma...products_id=69

came today. it has 2 crawler-x stickers, 4 extension pieces, 4 nuts, and 4 tiny clear plastic/rubber bands... what are the bands for???
The Rubber bands are used to Slide over the Hex widener and keep the axle pins from sliding out.

Blade
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #3

ha, i just put them on and therefore figured it out, duh! thanks for the quick reply though!

however, IMHO, this doesn't seem like the most secure idea in the world. couldn't you form/machine the new hex so that the end closest to the axle is of a larger diameter. then instead of having a slot all the way through, it could have a the slot inside the larger diameter part with closed ends... that way the pin would be captive and not require these little rubber bands?

i'm new to the hobby, so forgive my ignorance. perhaps the rubber band is commonplace for this type of mod.

thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I may have to invest in some of those.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

really wasn't digging the rubber bands, so i found a piece of drinking straw just barely fits over the hex barrels and i think this will be more secure than a doubled-up rubber band. a piece of heat-shrink tube would also be ideal.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

here's the hex:

it's ok even if your straw piece is a little long, it will just scrunch up when you tighten things down on the axle.

EDIT, BAD IDEA, don't let it be too long, see next post!

if i had some black heat-shrink, i would have rather used that to keep everything tidy looking. but the straw was handy from mocking up extended driveshafts!

Last edited by theksmith; 07-16-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

wouldent that little extra tube sticking over press on the hub bearing and cuase the motor to work harder.
Hows the steering? do the wheels rub when your turning hard/flexing?
Ratboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy99 View Post
wouldent that little extra tube sticking over press on the hub bearing and cuase the motor to work harder.
Hows the steering? do the wheels rub when your turning hard/flexing?
great point! maybe the best option here is heat shrink cut the exact right size, then slightly heated to make it both stay on tight where you want it and also just barely shrink away from the edge so you won't have any rubbing on the bearing.

no idea how it will affect steering yet. i'm attempting a scaler and everything is in a million pieces right now. i needed a wider track to match the body and this helped alot, but still isn't quite as wide as i hoped. i wish there was an option with actual longer outer axle shafts and different lock-outs and hubs, to truly widen the axle.

Last edited by theksmith; 07-16-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
ha, i just put them on and therefore figured it out, duh! thanks for the quick reply though!

however, IMHO, this doesn't seem like the most secure idea in the world. couldn't you form/machine the new hex so that the end closest to the axle is of a larger diameter. then instead of having a slot all the way through, it could have a the slot inside the larger diameter part with closed ends... that way the pin would be captive and not require these little rubber bands?

i'm new to the hobby, so forgive my ignorance. perhaps the rubber band is commonplace for this type of mod.

thanks!
Yes I thought of that, just wanted to keep the machine time down so that they didnt get to expensive.

Thanks
Blade
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote