Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: is it worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default is it worth it

is the micro trail trekker worth the money or would it be boring after have a axial ax10 comp crawler.
TT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

There's only one way to find out.

I got bored with my first micro after about a year. Traded it off. I just recently got another one yesterday, and pretty much realized why I traded my first one after about five minutes of running it.

That just my opinion though.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT17 View Post
is the micro trail trekker worth the money or would it be boring after have a axial ax10 comp crawler.
It's fun for a minute and then you'll quit it
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
rik
RCC Addict

after thinking about your question, and the answer i gave you, i figure i should add that they are a lot of fun to mod. i got to a point where i pretty much did all i could do to mine. also, i see you inquired about the trekker. i haven't a clue about the trekker's.

i found that these lil guys are the best when you are sick. i.e., stuck in your bed. just wrinkle your blanket up and you have an instant course that can be changed with a kick of the leg.

Last edited by rik; 07-20-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

cool thanks you guys were i live there are no rocks so i was maybe gonna build a small foam course for i would do that for my ax10 but dont have the room.
TT17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
after thinking about your question, and the answer i gave you, i figure i should add that they are a lot of fun to mod. i got to a point where i pretty much did all i could do to mine. also, i see you inquired about the trekker. i haven't a clue about the trekker's.

Trekker is pretty awesome out of the box. Buy some 10 cnt washers for weigh weights ( believe 7mm or 9mm) Take inside ring off the rim and take rimm to hardware store so you get right size. Think each rim fits 3 or 4. Buying a lipo and a high power Losi motor. for $10 is optional. Stock servo and saver works great.
If I didn't have micfo crawler first never woulda switched this to lipo to. Already had the lipo's so why not.
The micro trekker comes with a plug in charger.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I live in Phoenix, and in the summer its consistently 110 degrees and higher, so these micros are perfect for me because i can build a totally challenging course on my couch and constantly change the course.. its fun stuff. Plus, there is so much you can do with them without spending a dime (or spending VERY little), that it always keeps me busy.

PLUS, as someone else just posted, the Micro crawler BND (bind 'n drive) is on sale right now for just $50! so just bind a spektrum radio or losi radio and you are ready to go! Here is the link, if you are interested:

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...D&Click=104490

For $50, how can you go wrong? Even if you hate it, you can part it out and make more than that. Just my .02
dustinbleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would have to say I enjoy my crawlers and Trekker alot. They can be run anywhere, anytime. I don't really care for my 1/10 crawler just for the fact it's large and relatively hard to find challenging terrain for. Plus, the parts are dirt cheap for the micros.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT17 View Post
Neither!

If you live by no rocks, the AX10 will sit in your closet all about 300 days per year.

The Trekker is WAY to expensive for what you get, the Original MrC is much better deal... let me explain;

Part of the fun in this hobby is growing with it. There is tons of growth room for upgrading and tinkering with the MrC, and it's price is super low now. The Trekker is meant to be scale and stay that way, minus like a motor or shock upgrade. The MrC would be cheaper upfront and cheaper in the long run, and out perform the Trekker in the long run.

Now, the Trekker out performs the MrC if you plan to forever stay stock.

As far as no rocks, that's even more of a reason to get the Micro Rock Crawler (MrC). A case of beer, a bean bag chair, and some of the kids' toys, and BAM, a full fledged course. Decide to get creative, buy three cans of Spray foam, one cheap thin piece of wood, and you can make your own course.

I started to make my own course after conquering couch pillows and Gatorade bottles...

This is three cans of spray foam (Great Stuff) that I applied to some kind of plastic tray thing I found at Home Depot (real thin, like that plastic that you see in the garden section holding rows of small plants). I don't really recommend the plastics, it was to weak and when the foam dried it contorted the plastic to how ever it wanted while drying. But the plastic was like a dollar for the giant piece of it, that's why I wanted to try it. So I applied all three cans, let it dry, then I just randomly cut it up with a field knife. Then I took a can of spray truck bed coating and sealed it.

This one is also three cans or spray foam but instead of applying all three cans at once and letting it bubble up all on its own and cutting it up afterwards, I decided to put down one can at a time and let it dry, shaping what I did as I used each can.

I connect the two with a beanbag chair, the chair area is a course in its own because it acts like quicksand. If you don't do your turns quick and get over it fast, it'll wrap around the tires and not let go.

This is stupid fun and each path has its extremely challenging aspects of it. But it is also stupid cheap fun because this didn't cost a whole lot. I think the beanbag chair was like 5 bucks at a Big Lots or something.

I plan on making a course on top of a series of folding tables, all interconnected via paths like these two and different types of bridges.

Whom ever said playing with these things for five minutes and being done, indoor rock crawling just isn't for them. You can devote tons of hours into these things, and have a blast the entire time. The best part is making a course, then giving the crawler to a buddy and watching them get hooked on it!

Last edited by Evilinside; 07-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
rik
RCC Addict

LOL I said I realized why I traded my last micro, five minutes into running my second one. Indoor crawling is great. I had a sick course set up in the basement. There's a pic some where on here. It had waterfalls, a stream, scale trees...I git rid of it because, the after market wasnt there. I got my first micro in November of 09 when they first came out.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I agree with everything Evilinside said. The only thing that makes the Trekker perform better out of the box is it's 7/8" longer wheelbase and 1/8" taller tires......easily remedied on the McRC with maybe $20 outlay and some time. Both rigs stock turn turtle in a heartbeat tho. The Trekker has approach and departure angle issues too, which also in turn keep it from rolling over fore and aft. The McRc has no preference to which way it rolls from the narrower width and no overhangs front or rear. My Trekker will become a scaler of my '82 Toy crawler.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
LOL I said I realized why I traded my last micro, five minutes into running my second one. Indoor crawling is great. I had a sick course set up in the basement. There's a pic some where on here. It had waterfalls, a stream, scale trees...I git rid of it because, the after market wasnt there. I got my first micro in November of 09 when they first came out.
Oh, that reads a little funny, sounded like you were saying you traded away your micro's after only five minutes.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I started off my crawler experience with a Trekker and I was hooked. The Trekker is pretty capable out of the box but as you mod as you are definitely going to do, the rig becomes very capable. With the new tires and wheel weights you can crawl some pretty extreme inclines for a micro. When I was in Palm Desert for vacation a couple weeks back, my cousin and I were having a blast crawling the boulders outside the resort. We hit some inclines that were in the vicinity of 65-70 degrees and to my surprise, were conquered. It's all in the set up and your control when crawling IMO.
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote