Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: First project w/SMC + 4.5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First project w/SMC + 4.5

So I received the SMC+ friday (3/25). Worked on it thru out the week. I put it together with some temporary solutions to to mounting a body to it and mounting the steering servo. Also haven't really concluded a permanent mounting platform for the battery.

I used an Xmods 1/24 Ford F-150 body as a temporary body / cover. It has a 4.5" wheelbase which was perfect temporarily.

One very noticable issue with the SMC chassis is the torque twist on the rear axels (leafsrpings). Due to the way the mounts are designed for the leafsprings. The mounts will "clock" the axels, giving the leafsprings a premature twist on the axels when weight is place on the chassis. Given the the Xmods bodies weigh a lot. I'm going to opt for a different body the weighs a lot less hoping this can releave that issue (premature twist).

A fix for handling torque twist on the rear axel. I installed Torque bars. Just like on real trucks that are lifted, the need for these bars is vital. I included some pics of the bars using existing ball joints.

As for the chassis. It an awesome chassis to use for scale looks and realism. It also funtions well when crawling, but due to the nature and mechanics of the leafspring design. It doesn't have the flex for articulation when doing any extreme rock crawling. Also the suspension (like on real life automobiles) travel is limited due to leafsprings mechanicas.

I actually am very please with this chassis! I've always wanted to build a truck with working leafsprings. To top it off, it actually functions just like a real truck (torque twist and all).

LOVE IT!!!!! Good Job on the design!!!!! I want to build another!!!

I'll also post more pics of it updated with more mods and fixes.

Torque Bars

Torque Bars

Hoping to get these mounted very soon. Deciding on what tires to install.
Savage00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome great job

Blade
BLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks great man I had to do the same thing with my smc leafs just wrap up under load think that's how my first set lol
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Here are some update pics. Sorry the pics seem a little washed out. I had to use my phone to snap these. My camera battery went dead. I'll get some good outdoor shots when I get a chance. Maybe even video, so you guys can see how the SMC chassis performs. Hope you Enjoy!!!!

Here is a shot of how much the suspension will a compress. Notice the obsticle just about 1 inch tall. This is how much is will compress befor the rear wheel will start to come off the ground. Notice in the second pic, the leafsprings are maxed out.

Maxed out leafspring

This is the rear suspension

ESC de-cased and shrink wrapped, mounted on top of steering servo.

Painted body Light Gun Metal and reassembled

Video & Outdoor shots coming Soon!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Finally got the rims mounted with some nice rubber (RC4WD Rock Crushers)! I love these wheels!! Also these tires work great!!! It rained here in Tucson yesterday (Rare occurance) and I had to try out these tires on my small rock course in my back yard while it was wet. They actually performed better than the Rock lok tires do on dry surface. I was able to climb a couple verticle obstacles that I've always struggled with.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

My honest opinoin is that the wheel wells dont match up with the wheels.I would widen the W.W's or at least chop down the skirts,but what ever floats you boat!!
orangeplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The wheel wells do seem a bit deep like orangeplug said cut the skirts down a bit and maybe try to lower the body but still its really nice i like!
BTW the smc +4.5 kit does not come with a servo mount right?? have to fab your own mount?
anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeplug View Post
My honest opinoin is that the wheel wells dont match up with the wheels.I would widen the W.W's or at least chop down the skirts,but what ever floats you boat!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
The wheel wells do seem a bit deep like orangeplug said cut the skirts down a bit and maybe try to lower the body but still its really nice i like!
BTW the smc +4.5 kit does not come with a servo mount right?? have to fab your own mount?
Funny you guys mentioned that. I was looking at that same thing. The wheels and tires are pretty big for the the wheel wells. I'm trying to find a body that I like. I think I found it. Toyota Hilux extra cab. Plus it's a 1/20 scale, which means the wheels and tires will be more to scale, also a longer wheel base.

As for the SMC+4.5 EX. It does NOT come with a steering servo mount. I just used servo mounting tape. They do supply you with some double sided mounting tape, but I used a different servo tape that I consider a lot stronger and more reliable.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i super glued the servo right to the axle and it works perfect
stroker613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Everyone has been getting their chassis,WHY NOT ME!!

A few guys on here figured out how to install the servo without putting it on the axle its self,like the two mounting holes at the top for god know's what reason somebody put the top link/servo mounting servo and put in on their and I think it was T-buck who put the servo upside down and mounted it on the cross member.I'll try to find some links before school so in 5-7 mins.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Okay I found this picture from StreetKill831

and T-bucks

Also sorry for double post *first offender*
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

can you put stock shocks on on the front of that chassis like a real truck?

btw, how are those tires Savage00?

Last edited by i luv duct tape; 04-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.
i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

That looks like a great chassis. Nice build. I looked at the different wheel bases. I love my trail trekker and I imagine it would make for an easy conversion. The micro crawler is a lot cheaper base. I am probably going to have to buy a micro crawler now. Those rock crusher tires look sweet.
bouncingbabyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #14

i agree with the cutting of the wheel wells but if the tires dont rub then f-it
phxcrwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
can you put stock shocks on on the front of that chassis like a real truck?

btw, how are those tires Savage00?
Love the tires. They perform very well next to the RC4WD Rock Loks and the stock Losi tires. As for mounting shocks to the chassis, I'm sure you can. With a little bit of creativity and fabricating, anything is possible. I have some Micro T oil filled aluminum shocks that I am going to try to mount on the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxcrwler View Post
i agree with the cutting of the wheel wells but if the tires dont rub then f-it
After looking at the wheel wells some more. I did trim a little off the front cowl to eliminate some rubbing. As for widening the wheel wells or shaving the skirts. I'm gonna keep it how it is. I want it to look as it is. "A Super lifted truck with over sized tires". You know, like some of those silly super high lifted trucks you see in real car shows.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #16

no thats cool thats the whole reason i got a rc crawler its almost like having the real thing and with all the mods and fabrication you can do i am realizing that this is for sure going to be a long time hobbie for me.

i just wanted to shed some thoughts. and keep the rig rollin/ any plans for bumpers or lights?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #17

oh and when you intall those shocks can you let me know if the chassis stiffns at all
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
no thats cool thats the whole reason i got a rc crawler its almost like having the real thing and with all the mods and fabrication you can do i am realizing that this is for sure going to be a long time hobbie for me.

i just wanted to shed some thoughts. and keep the rig rollin/ any plans for bumpers or lights?
Quote:
oh and when you intall those shocks can you let me know if the chassis stiffns at all
As a matter of fact, Yes! I started the lights last night. As for the bumpers, Yes. I am trying to find a pic of a real front bumper that I like. I'll have to fabricate the bumpers, possibly add push bar. I'm also gonna add Nerf bars on the sides and a roll bar.

I'm hoping the shocks won't add any stiffness to the suspension when crawling. I'm just trying to eliminate the bouncing in the rear when going over bumpy surfaces at higher speeds. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the complement!!