Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: should i get one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question should i get one?

hey guys, im new to the forums and rc crawling. im thinking about getting a micro crawler but im not sure. ive been checking out maxxmasher's scale builds and i really want to do the same. im 15 and i made some money and was wondering if i should get one or save it. is it worth getting it? will i regret it? ive been wanting one for what seems like a year now and i finally earned some money. please let me know what you think.

i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

well, if your looking to crawl indoors, i would say, yes, get one. but, if you are looking at the big boys, 2.2 or supers, i would say no. Also, considering that you are 15 and almost of driving age, my final say is no. why, you ask???? CUZ YOU AINT GONNA GET NO TAIL WITH A TOY RC...... save your money for a car....thats just my 2 cents...
trust me, in a year or so, when your driving (with a girl), you'll thank me.....
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

"tell me what you think"

I think that blue font is impossible to read!!!
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
well, if your looking to crawl indoors, i would say, yes, get one. but, if you are looking at the big boys, 2.2 or supers, i would say no. Also, considering that you are 15 and almost of driving age, my final say is no. why, you ask???? CUZ YOU AINT GONNA GET NO TAIL WITH A TOY RC...... save your money for a car....thats just my 2 cents...
trust me, in a year or so, when your driving (with a girl), you'll thank me.....
good point but i have wanted one for a long time and just got some money and was just wondering what i should do. and i do want to crawl indoors.

PS: my mom said i cant get my license until im 18 so i still have a little time to save including my 16th birthday when all people give you is money
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

what do you want to do more. just crawl around your house or go outside and crawl on the terrain.
What kinda budget you looking to spend??
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't run any of mine inside. They crawl real rocks out in the backyard. Out of the box they can't do much- but with some simple mods they are just as capable on the correctly scaled terrain as any other scale is on its correct terrain. Guys seem to forget this hobby is ALL about scale.

In the end, its up to you. Look at every scale, look at the forums for the different types, & surf YouTube for vids on ones you're interested in. Research, man.

Last edited by TexasJeff; 03-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

I love my micro and it was a lot of fun building it... that being said, if I was going to have only 1 "cheap" crawler (I have bout $200 into it!), it wouldn't be a micro. You can pick up a nice losi mini for the price of a decked out micro. The mini is a lot more versatile. BTW, I have 2 micros, a mini and a scx10 for crawling (and several other non crawlers). If I had to pick 1, my favorite rc is the traxxas mini erevo... best basher ever!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
"tell me what you think"

I think that blue font is impossible to read!!!
agreed

i say get one ...if you dont like it theres a for sale section
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #9

I got mine and I love it. Problem is I spend more time modding it and such then I do driving it. LOL. It's still a boatload of sun though.

I have this one, and I have my 2.2. Love them both. Turning my Micro into a scaler though, but have plans to maybe pick up another one and kind of make it mimic my 2.2.
fantacmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #10

I would say go for it. Got to start off somewhere, and since your only 15 you prob dont have a full time job so i would not go to extremes right now like some people
But a micro is a fun and good way to start because you can always just set a course up on your bedroom floor and drive all day watching your fav tv show hahaha =p
rockcrawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
what do you want to do more. just crawl around your house or go outside and crawl on the terrain.
What kinda budget you looking to spend??
i want to be able to crawl inside my tiny house AND outside in my 5 acre yard(no, im not trying to brag).

as far as budget, i only have $160 and i dont want to spend it all. i want the parts to be as cheep as possible, but still very capable.
with the micro crawler, i like how its so small and you can take it almost anywhere.
again, tell me what YOU would do if you were in my position.
thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

With limited? income, I'd recommend the micro.
1. Cheap buy in. Compared to larger scale crawlers
2. Waay cheaper to mod. Think 3-5 mods/parts for the micro to 1 part for a bigger scale build for the same money.
3. Versatility. This thing can play indoors and out. It's easier to find/manufacture challenging terrain since it is so small.
4. Easier to hide from the opposite sex so maybe you'll develop normal social skills!
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

haha thanks. i do work for my dad very part time for around $10/hr depending on how good im doing.

if i get the micro, i can just toss it in the closet or get some kind of briefcase and keep it in there!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ok so now i need to hear some pros and cons about the micro. is it easy to mod? easy to control? capable? sorry, im a newb at rc crawlers and i dont know what to look for.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
ok so now i need to hear some pros and cons about the micro. is it easy to mod? easy to control? capable? sorry, im a newb at rc crawlers and i dont know what to look for.
Pros: it's small so you can crawl almost anywhere. Parts are cheaper compared to anything bigger. It's capable after a few free mods... And even more so if you throw a little $ at it. Most people get the hang of it after a couple packs... And the 5yr old can control it.

Cons: May be habit forming.
Gvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Another con is the availibilty of parts. your local hobby shop is not likely to have any motors, tires, etc. that fit. With a bigger crawler, parts are readily availible and often interchangable with race r/cs. I hate that I have to order everything for my micro, but if I snap a steering knuckle on my 1/10 its in stock in town. While the micro is cheaper to mod than a larger scale, you can still rack up a bill on a micro if you have an addictive personality.

That said, I love that I can grab 6 or 7 rocks and bring them in the house and mess around when its snowy outside with the micro, but the 1/10 needs a little larger area to enjoy. What ever size crawler you end up getting, you won't be disapointed, they are fun as s#!t!!!
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
Pretty easy to mod, but some guys have a hard time with the small parts. At your age, it shouldn't be a prob. I have years of 1/24 scale model kit building experience, so the scale was 2nd nature to me.

Control with crawlers is pretty straight-forward no matter what the scale. Slow is the name of the game- no high speed corners or triple jumps are usually included in a trail.

Out of the box, the Micro is.... well, its pretty bad. Really high center of gravity & real short wheelbase equals lots of flopping over. Read the mod bible stickied at the top of this section. Tons of info in there. With a little work, they are pretty capable little rigs.

At your price range, you have a limited amount of choices: buy a new Micro crawler, look out for a deal in the classifieds on a good larger scale crawler (good deals last a couple hours, great deals last a couple minutes around here), or look into buying an Exceed Maxstone 16 or 10 (Losi Mini or Axial knockoffs). Several guys here have them & like them, but be prepared for constant reaming from the hard-core guys if you do get an Exceed.

Last edited by TexasJeff; 03-09-2011 at 07:58 AM.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

ya im thinkin the micro crawler is fine even with the small parts. i was real into fingerboards and fingerbikes for a while and those screws are really microscopic so i should be fine.

thanks guys
Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Another option is the redcat rs10, cheap way to get in and decent quality.
dudegetabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

what scale are those? can i use those in the house?