Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Everyday obstacles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Everyday obstacles

Was just thinking about different items around the house I have used for a crawling course and was wondering what you all have tried. Throw out some ideas...

everyday obstacles:
stack of books and CDs.
wicker basket
pillow and couch crawl, of course.
non-stick cupcake pans-very challenging actually. try both sides.
pile of shoes.
tennis balls hot glued to cardboard
golf balls hot glued to cardboard-along with tennis balls
several landscaping rocks I jacked from around my apt complex
various sizes of soup cans

Interesting thing about the tennis and golf balls. I was thinking of a way to make a creekbed with some large boulders and came up with the idea of tennis balls and golf balls. In scale size these things are pretty dang big. Anyway, I wanted to get a crapload of tennis balls. I started searching. Fawking expensive!! So what I did was call the local tennis club and asked they had some used balls that they could donate to an "art project" and they said "sure do." I went to tennis club and they gave me 2 boxes of tennis balls for FREE! Probably 200 balls.. then I got 100 golf balls from driving range. Makes for some great boulders. FYI
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
I started searching. Fawking expensive!! So what I did was call the local tennis club and asked they had some used balls that they could donate to an "art project" and they said "sure do." I went to tennis club and they gave me 2 boxes of tennis balls for FREE! Probably 200 balls.. then I got 100 golf balls from driving range. Makes for some great boulders. FYI
I can imagine how that conversation started, hello do you have any old balls i can play with?

Good tip with the free tennis balls though. I live across town from PGA where they hold the PGA national, lots and lots of golf around here. while they wont give away any old golf balls I am sure, they are easy to find on the ground and on the sidewalks near the courses
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I straight up lied. I went in asking if they might have some supplies for my nephews art class project. Turns out that they stock pile old tennis balls for exactly this purpose. They must have had 500 boxes or used practice balls.

So what I do is cut them up and hot glue them along with whole tennis balls on a piece of cardboard. Then spray them with automotive trim adhesive and cover with burlap, then place into a vacuum storage bag for storing old blankets or 50 sweaters, seal it up and pull the whole thing into a vacuum and it makes an awesome crawler course in 2 minutes. The big course is about 2x4feet. Made with foam blocks and burlap and elmers glue. weighs less than 10 pounds. Theres the tennis ball river idea.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Spoo. I really think that is a great idea to have an OHV thread room. Fun times are ahead.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Wow great use of the tennis balls, is the vacuum bag even necessary? i would think the weight would be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
Spoo. I really think that is a great idea to have an OHV thread room. Fun times are ahead.
Yea its been a long time coming, glad DR-FJ40 started the thread.the "course" threads are never easy to find and lets be honest not everyone has great natural terrain near by or a dedicated crawl spot. having a dedicated forum would only help to further the hobby by getting more people involved and especially getting those already with crawlers out crawling more often.

BTW in order to help get it more popular and make it easy to search we should use another term other than "course" because that brings up irrelevant topics. it seems to be agreed that "RCORV park" fits best so far. should make it easy to search for RCORV

New Crawler Course / RC ORV Park forum? Any Interest?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the white square terrain is the 3rd I have done with the vacuum bag. No its not really necessary but it makes for a nice texture. Makes it more "rocky" Laying cloth with some sort of hardening solution makes for a hilly dirt terrain. I was looking for dry river bed kinda stuff. I dont use it all the time. My GF gave me that cloth and I knew it would be perfect for that. Burlap doesnt like to stretch too much.

Im excited about RVOHC. I have spoken with my friend about this and we are gonna put in some work to come up with something truely nutty and spectacular!