Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Test Drive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #1

Default Test Drive

I went to my local shop today and test drove the mini crawler for like 20 min.. i fell in love. I really want one, is this a good crawler for a first time crawler owner?
PYRO31888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I dont own one nor have I ever driven one. But in my opinion they are still new so there is bound to be bugs that need to be worked out b/c they are rtr. Also since its so new there's not a really big selection of upgrades or anythinf for them. Maybe look into the axial ax10 rtr. I dont really like the rtr version of them but all of the hopups and upgrades for the kit also fit the rtr. Just my 2 cents
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This wasnt my first crawler but I think it whould be a great first crawler for anyone. It crawls good right out of the box, but there are a few free mods that make a world of difference. The only thing I am not liking about it are the losi mini claws. They do great inside on the couch and the carpet, but they dont do so great on the rocks. I say get one!
parker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
I dont own one nor have I ever driven one. But in my opinion they are still new so there is bound to be bugs that need to be worked out b/c they are rtr. Also since its so new there's not a really big selection of upgrades or anythinf for them. Maybe look into the axial ax10 rtr. I dont really like the rtr version of them but all of the hopups and upgrades for the kit also fit the rtr. Just my 2 cents
It's so simple that I don't see there being many "bugs". But if there are any bugs, nobody stands behind their products more than Losi/Horizon Hobby from my experience. I bought a defective Mini Baja online. They asked me to send it in so they could test the ESC. It was bad as I had suspected and since they didn't have a replacement ESC in stock they sent me a whole new kit. That means I have spare everything except for the original car and body - controller, wheels, battery, charger, etc.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you don't have one, why should we listen to your opinion? The only bugs the stock rig has are a weak servo (which will hold up fine if you keep the servo saver on it) and shocks that are easy to blow up, like any other plastic RTR shock.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
I own one. They are killer! There are very few weak points on this RTR. For the price you can't beat it. And as far as upgrades, you need to look again! There are a lot out already? Tuber chassis, scale chassis, wheels, rims, shocks, body, links, ect......And to suggest a AX10 RTR does not make since? They are two different classes! 1/18 and 1/10......And you can't get into a AX10 RTR cheaper then the Losi! Do some research before you tell people stuff you don't know about
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

you know what they say about opinions?????

if you "love" it, buy it

sounds simple to me
tootallcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Man you got to drive it for 20 minutes and did'nt walk out of there with one

I got to drive one for 5 minutes and want one

I think it will make for a very good first crawler right out of the box. And it has been proven already by MRC owners on RCCrawler.com that it does'nt take much to make it even better!

So go for it and buy one
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #9

nah i didnt walk out with one haha, would you guys suggest saving $10 and buying one from Ebay with free shipping for $239.99? This wont be my last crawler but i do want one. And after playing with the mini it seems great... anyone suggest a different one? Like the PTI goliath 1/18?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

when I say thats just my opinion, I'm leaning more toward the availabiliy of parts and upgrades not so musch as the bugs. I own losi stuff , and I love losi stuff never had the first problem. I just figured to get him into the hobby and actually like it I think he should start with something that has upgrades that are easily found everywhere. But, I do appreciate the SA comment though
Old 10-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
when I say thats just my opinion, I'm leaning more toward the availabiliy of parts and upgrades not so musch as the bugs. I own losi stuff , and I love losi stuff never had the first problem. I just figured to get him into the hobby and actually like it I think he should start with something that has upgrades that are easily found everywhere. But, I do appreciate the SA comment though
The aftermarket has barely scratched the surface of what they can do with this rig, the aftermarket will be there. Losi themselves are pushing to get parts out. You can't expect a massive aftermarket a month and a half after the truck is released.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Ive never seen one in the flesh ,let alone driven one,but what ive seen here on RCC and get the funds,i might get one ,and i live on the other side of the world.They seem perfect for the newbie.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey I'm not bashing the losi crawler i'll probally get one also, I just think "In my opinion" and everyone has one. That he would have better chance getting used to rock crawling on something theres more information on so he can understand more by all the great information u guys have been posting for a long time. I dont know what i would have done without some the info on this sight.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #14

I got my mrc last week and love it! It really is the bang for the buck. I have already done alittle tweaking on it. I would suggest to go with the Losi instead in the Axial. My 3 yr old daughter loves it as well (future rock crawler) I'll be posting pics soon. Choose wisely...
janjasric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #15

I know its such a big debate... grrrr
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

i just got one tonite. cant wate to get it o the rocks. give it some time and losi will have as much aftermarket as axail does. look at what tcs has already planed. if you dont have much rocks or big spots to crawl id sugest losi, if you have toons of room/ rocks id go with axial.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #17

Let me ask you guys something ... why did you pick the Losi "MINI" instead of an AX10 or something.. the AX10 you can get for the same price but you have to buy a battery and charger.. and its a 1/10 scale as the mini is 1/18... im having trouble deciding and i was wondering what got you guys to decide.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Well I just ordered me one and will be in next week.

I have a 2.2 Crawler already and had been planning on upgrading to an MOA axle setup or picking up the Mini Crawler.

After getting to run the MRC I was hooked and just feel it will give me a fun crawler that I can easily find places that will be challenging for it. And I have to admit I have been a Micro Guy since the MRS4 so this is the Mini Crawler that I think most Micro guys had hoped the TLT was going to be out of the box.

Now having a 2.2 Crawler already made my decision a little easier even though that now I will have to wait on upgrading it I feel that it is still a good crawler and serves it's purpose for me.

So for me going with the MRC gives me something I was looking for, which is something small easy to take anywhere and have fun running it. And look forward to seeing what comes out in the aftermarket for it!

Again it comes down to what you are really looking for in a crawler?
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I ran mine in our unlimited class at our last comp and placed 6th out of 13 trucks! LOL....

(yes I ran it against 2.2s)

Get one, you won't be happier!
4mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #20

I got the Losi crawler.. im a lil disapointed because i had to get blue instead of black which i really wanted.. but i wasnt going to wait a week. Plus i figured id get a new body once they come out with them.