Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mods On The Cheap!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Default Mods On The Cheap!

I found out last weekend that there would be no stock class(locally) for the mrc. I laid down my best argument,to no avail. Depressed- i threw mine in the garbage. Last night i dug it out and decided to make lemonade! I dont want to spend any money on this little guy because it will be a shelf queen as soon as the class dies. I looked for the smallest batteries i could find around the house. Air hog havoc heli's have a one cell 60mah lipo in them! Two in series would be the BOMB! I only have one dead one,and im unwilling to destroy a good one for its lipo,so i pillaged my sons dead airplane for its smaller than AAA nimh's. Electronic location is a bear on this little guy. I wanted all weight up front. I dont beleive in adding weight to a rig. Its a band aid fix for tires that wont conform,or improper weight placement. I made a servo/battery tray out of an axial electronics tray using a sawzall and hand drill(BUTCH). I actually screwed the esc to the front upper(carefully so as not to destroy the board inside). If anyone is saavy enough with electronics to flash the reverse lockout out of the stock esc im sure a lot of business will come their way(hmmm side money is good)! Im not happy with the receiver location,but it worked without extending any wiring,and maintained my weight forward theme. A servo and receiver on edge idea was played with,but the results were the same for a lot more work! Next up was tires. What! Not real beadlocks! What a rip! Made pvc spacers to lock them on (similar to h1 beadlocks). After removing the foam they still werent compliant enough,so i punched the sidewall full of holes. Do not bother!!!!! This did almost nothing for sidewall flex!!!!!! A thinner carcass is required. In stock form the mrc articulates far too well. I will move the shock mounts outboard of their current location as soon as i hit the hardware store for longer screws! I opened the motor to see what could be improved. It is a well wound motor,with a tiny commutator with a ton of armature to magnet surface. Once the brushes wear in,this will be an axle twister! I buttoned it back up untouched! It is barely capable of self righting as-is,so the body will be left at stock height,although i could lower it considerably and add a small upright in the roof to help with righting. The front drag link was shortened by cutting in half,and drilling for a 2mm stud(bolt with head ground off). So far i havnt purchased a thing,but im heading to the hardware store soon to get some longer bolts to play with the lower shock mounting location!I think i will put the lower links in the stock shock location,with the shocks outboard of that. Anyone had any good results with reducing the articulation in these?

oicu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #2

Got back from the hardware store! Moved links to shock position,and moved shocks outboard. Tightened up articulation a little too well,but i prefer it reduced(should get some back with a little wear). Has the side benefit of raising the lower links also. Just need to clock the u-joint up a few degrees to get it out of the way. There isnt a reverse lockout! Im a crackhead(been awhile since i played with it)!

oicu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
There isnt a reverse lockout!
You're screwed in 2009.

I like your holy tires.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
You're screwed in 2009.

I like your holy tires.
Thats just wrong
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Holdin my 40oz.

And why the holes in the tires? in the rear only? what was the benfit of that.
Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
it makes the tires conform to the rocks more. it lets the air out of the tires.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikax10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
After removing the foam they still werent compliant enough,so i punched the sidewall full of holes. Do not bother!!!!! This did almost nothing for sidewall flex!!!!!! A thinner carcass is required.
Refer to first post Putting holes in the tires did nothing.....I would've thought that it'll would have done something.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looking forward to Wednesday, huh? I guess I should have made sure the tunnel is tall enough for a stock height rig! Don't worry you won't lose too much paint. Mine is like La Cucaracha, low and slow!
schmenzer is offline   Reply With Quote