Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Insane Steering angle on a mini... XR10 C's and knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Insane Steering angle on a mini... XR10 C's and knuckles... and tubes???

Here's a mod i have had in the works for a few weeks, XR10 C's and knuckles on a MRC... i personally have the Vanquish shtuff, but it should work OK with the stock XR10 stuff

The install is very simple, you use xr10 c's knuckles and driveshafts, all you have to do it shorten the xr10 driveshafts and flat spot them so they fit in the MRC diff gear... other than that the c's just bolt on, they're not much bigger than the stock ones so there's not a lot of extra room in there, you could maybe tape the housings or something to add a little bit if you want... i didn't bother and they are working fine for me.

I did have to shim the axles a bit, but that was mostly to keep myself within the 8" width restriction, may vary depending on your wheel offset/width.

Here's a video of some testing with it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNlw716WAw

Here's some pics

Last edited by T3rry; 09-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Insane Steering angle on a mini... XR10 C's and knuckles

SHOW OFF!!!!!!

it does have insane steering, Ive seen so in person.
baconCHDDRchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That steering is insane. I do worry about the idea of wrapping the axle housing in tape. There has to be a way to do that and not have a potentially flexible way to go.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
That steering is insane. I do worry about the idea of wrapping the axle housing in tape. There has to be a way to do that and not have a potentially flexible way to go.
the tape is not necessary, it fits on there pretty good without it, just not 100% snug... maybe a 3rd screw from the hub to the axle housing might be a way to go, i just found the axle housing is pretty thin and it's hard to keep the screws in it... they kept falling out, as you can see by the underside pics with the missing screw on the right... this isn't a huge deal, just sometimes it allows the C to rotate and your steering rod might go down decreasing you GC..

Thinking about it a 3rd screw might be the ticket, drill a hole in the C on the front or something that's just too small for a coarse thread 3mm and the same size hole in the axle housing, even if there's not a lot of beef on the housing, the c hub should have enough to hold it in... maybe drill and tap it 3mm if using the VP stuff.

Last edited by T3rry; 05-27-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
...There has to be a way to do that and not have a potentially flexible way to go.
Mini beef tubes?
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Mini beef tubes?
although it would be nice, not really necessary... and i bet there's not enough of a market for someone to produce them.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
RCC Addict

check out crash's build for beef tubes, it's been done
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking good! Great minds think alike! I have been tinkering around with this also myself. Problem with the stock plastic xr10 knuckles are you wont get much more steering than the MRC parts as the double arm limits you to about 45°. The plastic chubs are fine as that is what I am using but you need vanquish knuckles. Beef tubes will help out and that is the route I am going but longer.....If I can find a wheel that will keep me under 8 inches wide.

Nice work keep it up!!
moes670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Mini beef tubes?
That was my first thought when I saw the wood screws on the bottom of the knuckle.

Either way I think this is an awesome upgrade as I never really felt good about the stock cvd's anyway. Nice mod buddy.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
E.Y. Designs

I think that could be an awesome upgrade for them If someone would make a adapter to slide over the axle so the C's can hook right on I'd be hooked
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
I think that could be an awesome upgrade for them If someone would make a adapter to slide over the axle so the C's can hook right on I'd be hooked
really there's not enough room for an adapter, it's kinda too big but not big enough, it's pretty solid how it is though...
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
really there's not enough room for an adapter, it's kinda too big but not big enough, it's pretty solid how it is though...
Could you get a pic of the stock C next to the XR10 C please?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I tried an internal mini beef tube but it just did not work the way I wanted so I ditched it. I also though about a tube that could drill into the diff case but that has never happened either. What about a small pipe ring or something between the xr chub and the losi axle housing?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I tried an internal mini beef tube but it just did not work the way I wanted so I ditched it. I also though about a tube that could drill into the diff case but that has never happened either. What about a small pipe ring or something between the xr chub and the losi axle housing?
i think to do any sort of adapter you'd have to cut up the stock housing and then you'd lose your lower link and shock mounts... i'll try to get a pic of the 2 chubs up later, there's not a big size difference, maybe 1mm... i tried 2 wraps of electrical tape and they just got pushed off by the chub, so that should tell you how close it is... the biggest disadvantage is missing the ribbing on the axle housing so the c's can rotate if the screws loosen off.... maybe if you could put a ring of delrin or something inside the stock tubes to give the screws something more to grab, but i don't know how much room there is in there.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
E.Y. Designs

Maybe if you ground out the inside of the C-Hubs than you could make an adapter that would fit nice and snug.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Maybe if you ground out the inside of the C-Hubs than you could make an adapter that would fit nice and snug.
maybe, but i have vanquish on there, i didn't want to hack it up any more than i had to
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
maybe, but i have vanquish on there, i didn't want to hack it up any more than i had to
That's true... But I'm sure someone could just drill it out... I'm going to try to find someone that can make an adapter
Old 05-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

here are some comparison pics... ignore my dirty work bench

This is not a totally stock housing, i did flatspot the top right in the pics... it was to clock the stock chubs... so there is a lot less space than it looks like. On a new housing it's only the flat spots that are void and like i said, the biggest issue is getting enough beef on the housing to screw in to... i just CA glued the screws before i threaded them in.

Last edited by T3rry; 05-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
E.Y. Designs

Hmm... I'm thinking maybe you could hack up the stock C's and grind them down so than after you drill out the little ridges on the inside of the XR10 C's than you could slide the hacked stock C in between the XR C and the Axle housing.... I'm thinking of trying it and I'll Let you guys know
Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hmm... I'm thinking maybe you could hack up the stock C's and grind them down so than after you drill out the little ridges on the inside of the XR10 C's than you could slide the hacked stock C in between the XR C and the Axle housing.... I'm thinking of trying it and I'll Let you guys know
that could potentially work, but may weaken the xr10 c's... whatever works for you... i am leaving mine how it is because it works

Insane Steering angle on a mini... XR10 C's and knuckles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish XR10 Incision Steering Knuckles In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 10-01-2010 08:23 PM