Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: part of MRC pro vs non pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default part of MRC pro vs non pro

Hi,

Been out of the RC game a 20+ years and just getting back in. Boy has the landscape changed! I want something practical due to lack of time, so a crawler looks interesting and can play around the house/yard with out driving out somewhere. I walked in to my local RC shop today and was sold a losi mini rock crawler pro (possible rookie mistake on my part). I am just now, finding out, it is a discontinued product. I know the non pro is RTR is still for sale. Any one know if parts are interchangeable? I still own my old buggies and street rally car. But I am afraid to use them due to lack of parts. I have not open the box. I can still return if need be.

I have read posts describing differences between pro and non pro but no posts describing what parts are unique to which and what parts are shared. I am not doing comp or anything. But would like to have parts when this thing falls down stairs and break everything.

Please let me know if this thing is still well supported. Also, if possible, please let me know which part breaks the most. I really hate the upgrade game back then... but, I almost always update parts not so much for performance but weak OEM parts.

Thanks for reading and helping out
dirtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: part of MRC pro vs non pro

You did good.. with the pro, you got most of the upgrades we all do right off the bat.. if not Comping with it, you should be good with the drive shafts or go mip .. all parts are interchangeable ... these little guys are sweet to crawl with! Have fun with it..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. I just read in some other thread that the RTR is also discontinued. As much as I like this thing (small and practical) I am wondering I can get similar crawling performance on a more recent platform 1/10 platform? Is there any equiv that is not dual motored and all "pro" like for a lack of better term. Like, can I accomplish the same with say an axial SCX10? I am sure I am off base... I am new to this after all

Feel free to let me know that I am being paranoid.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I wouldnt say alot of whats on the Pro version is interchangable with the RTR. Some items are identical like axle cases, front axle hubs, rod ends, ring and pinions, drive shafts, spur gear and transmission. The wheels are also interchangable but you have to reuse the beadlock ring that comes in the Pro wheels.

Whats different? Steering knuckles and tie rods(pro has "near zero ackerman knuckles"), shocks(aluminum vs plastic), chassis(carbon fiber and 4 link vs aluminum and 3 link), CVD's (RTR is dog bones), Metal lockers in the axles and trans (RTR is plastic), wheels hexes (RTR is narrow, Pros are wide), Rear axle shafts(pro has longer straight axle shafts to accomodate the wide hexes, RTR is dogbone set up like the front), rear lockouts, front and rear upper link mounts(stock rtr is not set up for 4 link suspension).

The aluminum shocks and CVD's were already being offered as upgrades from Losi before the Pro version was released. Hopefully Losi will see fit to continue to offer all of the Pro parts as upgrades for the RTR version.

You dont NEED a ton of upgrades to enjoy your Pro. Id suggest aluminum knuckles, I think the stock plastic is kind of weak. When I broke my plastic knuckle it ruined my CVD. MIP driveshafts are a great upgrade.
I comped with my Pro for two years and the only things I changed from stock was aluminum knuckles and C hubs, MIP driveshafts, over drive mod in the front axle, outboard shock kit and high clearance lower links in the rear. I followed Rubbanecks setup suggestions for tuning. It ran well enough to nail down 1st place in my clubs 2012 spring (and last 1.9) season.

Last edited by RivBlueNoma; 09-08-2012 at 09:37 PM.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thank you both for the detailed replies. I almost returned it and trade for an axial AX10 or SCX10 kit figuring both would be much better supported. However, I think casual driving, I may not break too many parts.

part of MRC pro vs non pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mrc pro to CHAOTIC CRAWLERS PRO swap bikerj08 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 65 03-10-2012 07:18 PM
stocking up on part for MRC Pro? bondo12 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 12-03-2011 05:22 PM