Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Shock mounting troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

Default Shock mounting troubles

I just got my Mini-GC-3. Very good Chassis. I have everything ready to go, but I can't mount the shocks. It doesn't say in the instructions.
It says "use shock mounts".... from where?
Anyone know how to do it on the GC-3?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

which shocks are you using ?
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Here is some help!

On the stock chassis top plate there was the original mounting points for the shocks. That BAR.... like item, comes apart into three parts. Two shock ball sockets and one center bar. Take some pliers and a small wrench and take it apart. Now use the ball ends with some nylon nuts to install onto the new chassis. probably going to mount with ball mounts in toward the center of the chassis. Good luck! WAIT! ON that chassis it is narrow I believe so install with shock ball mounts toward the outside.

Last edited by MRCking; 01-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCking View Post
On the stock chassis top plate there was the original mounting points for the shocks. That BAR.... like item, comes apart into three parts. Two shock ball sockets and one center bar. Take some pliers and a small wrench and take it apart. Now use the ball ends with some nylon nuts to install onto the new chassis. probably going to mount with ball mounts in toward the center of the chassis. Good luck! WAIT! ON that chassis it is narrow I believe so install with shock ball mounts toward the outside.
It worked, but the shocks are too close to the upper links. As it articulates, the links hit the shocks and stop. I have little movement, and the link forces the springs off the catch.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

On the axles you have the links where the shocks need to go and the shocks where the links need to go?

Or.... better yet .. e mail or post pic. Use your cell...etc.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
On the axles you have the links where the shocks need to go and the shocks where the links need to go?

Or.... better yet .. e mail or post pic. Use your cell...etc.

2 secs
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

NO WAIT! You have the shock chassis mounting points installed toward the outside or inside.. reverse them.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
NO WAIT! You have the shock chassis mounting points installed toward the outside or inside.. reverse them.

outside, I checked that :l Photos in 2 secs need them to load
Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
It worked, but the shocks are too close to the upper links. As it articulates, the links hit the shocks and stop. I have little movement, and the link forces the springs off the catch.
i had the same problem. i used a 2mm nylon spacer on each ball stud which i threaded directly into the body post mounts. i also moved the upper links to the inside of the chassis plates.
Toddwick420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #10

Well, here are the pics

As you can see the links are hitting the shocks making the ride stiff and just stopping the movement when it hits..... happends all around :l

Nice a big

http://img191.imageshack.us/i/imgp0106o.jpg/
http://img191.imageshack.us/i/imgp0107.jpg/
Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Easy fix

easy fix. Take the four link off. and mount the upper links to the inside of the chassis. Helps if you have needle nose pliers.

By that I mean take the lower metal links that are hitting the shocks and follow them to the mounting point on the chassis plates. You will find they are installed on the outide of the chassis. Now take them off and mount them on the inside of the chassis using the exact same screws .keeping the nuts on the outside of the chassis.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Even better... follow this link it has detail pics and instructions. Its a nother link just aboe yours in the forum. GO NOW! LOL

My GC3 Build
Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I just built my GC3 and had the same issue. I used a bolt with rubber pieces on either side then took 2 nuts and thread them on then screwed all of that into the delrin block where the body mounts go. it spaced them away from the chassi and they dont hit now. I am now running droop minus springs and dont have the issue though.

Second option is to move your axle side shock end to the outside of the mounting tab and put a spacer in the space where the shock once set. Just a idea but there are alot of us now with the GC3 and I know most are running the vendetta shocks not the stockers like you and not the yeah racing like me. Maybe time for you to upgrade to the vendettas!!!!

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #14

Last question of the day..... where should I mount my electronics? not much space on the machine :l
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I mounted mine as follows.
ESC on the rear body mount.(explain later)
Reciever rear axle
STOCK battery still but i threw it in the worst spot right on the very top!!! But i plan to go to Lipo in my next big spending moment and figure all of that out. It doesnt seem near as top heavy and the stock even after I had modified it and had the battery on the front end. (DROOP setup helps)

The rear body mount i did something different then what i have seen here. I used and strip of velcro ran thru the chassis then cut 2 slits in my bug body that the end go thru and then i just velcro it down. The body rests on the battery and the rear and front mount so its super rigid. Once i get my camera charged i will post pics.

Cole
JOMJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Last question of the day..... where should I mount my electronics? not much space on the machine :l
i used double sided tape and put the esc on the side of the trans and my receiver on the bottom of the front body post mount. battery on the rear four link plate.
Toddwick420 is offline   Reply With Quote