Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 'Nother GC3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Default 'Nother GC3 build

I've been lurking for a little while now.. waiting .. watching..

anyway, I got a wild hair up my butt one day and decided to try out this crawler stuff. It looks fun.
I purchased a drive train from a losi mini crawler on fleabay and a gc3 chassis.. without knowing much about them.. (I found this forum a few days after)
I've been putting it together carefully with parts I have and a few parts I purchased.
I think I have a decent rig set up (though the suspension might be a little loose)..
Here are some pictures

also.. the main conclusion I've come across while testing and all that is that the losi tires are really really not sticky. and the foam inserts are a bit stiff... so that will be the next upgrade.. After I put a body on it
blawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks pretty damn straight to me! Great Job for your first!
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

go with some rovers with novas single stage foams
Scale_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #4

I purchased HB Rover's the other day in the mail.
How is the foam that comes with them?

I haven't stepped up to the wheel purchase yet.. the ones I like cost 100-140 ish.. ..
Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blawrence View Post
I purchased HB Rover's the other day in the mail.
How is the foam that comes with them?

I haven't stepped up to the wheel purchase yet.. the ones I like cost 100-140 ish.. ..
I like the foams that came with them. I like a little more firm foam in the rears so i used a cut down flat iron foam in the rears. But they work perfect in the fronts. Haven't tried novas foams unfortunately.
korr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #6

I received the HB Rovers last night (red.. soft).. and they are soft.. much softer and much more grippy than the losi oem tires.. I also splurged and ordered some Mayhem competition beadlocks.. pretty excited about it,,

also have a baja body in the mail too.. will have to paint..

and I will post more pictures once it's all together
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #7

It can crush beer cans with a single tire

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #8

new pictures posted .. it's pretty much finished.. I received the mayhem wheels tonight.. as a side note the product is good but I get the impression the company is a little disorganized.. either way they look good

I will have to start fine tuning and testing the machine now.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
new pictures posted .. it's pretty much finished.. I received the mayhem wheels tonight.. as a side note the product is good but I get the impression the company is a little disorganized.. either way they look good

I will have to start fine tuning and testing the machine now.
Disorganized or not those wheels are badass. Crawler looks good. You will like the GC3 chassis it performs. The losi tires to put it loosely are crap. Good choice with the rovers. Depending on where your local club comps and terrain, u might end up with a couple different sets of tires if ya really get into it.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

thats an awesome truck!
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

+2. Lookin' good!
trukkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig dude. Mayhem has a good rep with quality. They have awesome wheels. I like the bug body. Am I the only dude with an MRC that does not have that GC3 chassis? Skulz V2 FTW.

How do you like that Excelorin system? Are you comping or bashing?

The Rovers are far and away better than those stock bricks from Losi. I keep mine only as emergency backups.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #13

so far it's just been bashing.. but I'm hoping to enter a competition .. So I try to take the bashing easy. also there is enough money in this to keep me from wanting to really smash it.

the xcelorin system is pretty good, there is a lot of torque and it allows for really good speed control.. really slow,, or really fast (for a crawler). I am only running a 2s lipo in it so I don't know what it's like with the 3s that some on this forum are running. I like it more than the stock system, but the stock setup seemed good as well. (I am new the the crawling stuff so I don't have a lot of experience with multiple systems)

also.. as additional info.. I've added 4 bb's to each front wheel and the rear are empty.. I trimmed foam from the front tires and left the rear tires stuffed
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
so far it's just been bashing.. but I'm hoping to enter a competition .. So I try to take the bashing easy. also there is enough money in this to keep me from wanting to really smash it.

the xcelorin system is pretty good, there is a lot of torque and it allows for really good speed control.. really slow,, or really fast (for a crawler). I am only running a 2s lipo in it so I don't know what it's like with the 3s that some on this forum are running. I like it more than the stock system, but the stock setup seemed good as well. (I am new the the crawling stuff so I don't have a lot of experience with multiple systems)
Yeah you gots a good chunk of change into this rig I can tell
I'm still a newb too so I don't have a good frame of reference for motors and the like. Your rig looks top notch dude.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck, what motor are you running?
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Default Can't see your pics.

not sure if the link is broken or what?
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
Nice truck, what motor are you running?
Read two posts up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
not sure if the link is broken or what?
I can see them OK. It could have been an issue with the hosting site.

"4bb's." Literally, 4 of those little [air-gun] BB's? Or is that a typo and it's 40? What are the weights, front and back?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

those wheels are bad ass dude, good job on your first, BTW did you check/replace youre lockers already, if you want to comp or go hardcore bashing that's all you really need and this thing is bulletproof. I turned my MRC into a scaler and i've used this thing for a tough truck challenge type courses and they are holding up pretty well.

good crawling,
Pedro
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

by "bb's" I think he means the large metal balls the go inside the Mayhem wheels.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Read two posts up.

"4bb's." Literally, 4 of those little [air-gun] BB's? Or is that a typo and it's 40? What are the weights, front and back?
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
those wheels are bad ass dude, good job on your first, BTW did you check/replace youre lockers already, if you want to comp or go hardcore bashing that's all you really need and this thing is bulletproof. I turned my MRC into a scaler and i've used this thing for a tough truck challenge type courses and they are holding up pretty well.

good crawling,
Pedro
I've changed out the front lockers. They stripped before I installed the mayhem wheels. I also have metal drive shafts (probably not a good idea) and so I'm not sure where the weak point will be... hopefully the slipper will work if it comes to that (though I have been trying to be careful when put in a bind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post

the hosting site is Photo.net... some places/people/servers have the site blocked because there is some nudity there (it's a photography website).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
by "bb's" I think he means the large metal balls the go inside the Mayhem wheels.

J
YES.. the metal balls that come with the mayhem wheels. My wife has hidden our scale (kitchen scale) so I'm not sure on the weight presently. I have upped the count to 5 ball bearings (this should be a better term and now that I think of it may be where 'bb' came from)