Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Shock Fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Losi Shock Fix?

Is Losi planning on fixing the issue with the leaky shocks? I have tried many fixes with no success. It feels like a total waste of money to have to buy another set of shocks that won't leak. I know that they are working on a fix for the CVD's (glad I'm not holding my breath waiting for those). Anyone have any info?
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

A few fixes for leaky shocks:

Use plumbers tape around your threads when assembling the shocks.

If running internal springs you can add a small rubber seal to the inside of the shock around the shaft and the spring will retain it against the bottom of the shock.

If your not using internal springs then you can make a seal out of rubber slightly larger than the inner shock body it should squash down nicely and hold itself in place again preventing leaks.

Finally you can also add a seal to the outside of the shock using the glue method of adding it to the bottom.

I currently have only the stock plastic shocks on and these dont leak at all after a few bits of tape on the threads a small rubber seal cut for the inside around the shaft.
Crawl_Before_Walking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
Is Losi planning on fixing the issue with the leaky shocks? I have tried many fixes with no success. It feels like a total waste of money to have to buy another set of shocks that won't leak. I know that they are working on a fix for the CVD's (glad I'm not holding my breath waiting for those). Anyone have any info?

Theyve had the same shock design for over 20 years.

when you tighten the caps down dont be affraid to crank them tight, youll feel them tighten up and virtually stop turning. They will strip if you go to far but it takes some sack to get it that far.

also you can take the caps apart and change the seals if you feel its them thats leaking. try going to some aftermarket real silicone orings instead of those generic orange ones.

you dont have to buy a whole set of shocks if they leak, just replace the shock caps. Losi sells them seperatly for like 3$ each.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...g-Shock/Detail
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My losi threaded ones leaked from day one, and I did the teflon tape before filling them, now 1 month later it seems the shaft is leaking. Im thinking its been the shaft the whole time. Im not running springs now and its easier to see where the leaks come from. Im pretty pissed about it. They have sold enough of these to get them right.
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I tried the plumbers tape method, but they still leak. I am going to try to rebuild them again tonight. If it doens't stop, I will be buying the Vendetta shocks. I hate when things leak. Cars, Rcs, Sleds, doesn't matter.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
I will be buying the Vendetta shocks. I hate when things leak. Cars, Rcs, Sleds, doesn't matter.
Don't forget your woman...
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

agreed, the shocks are fail. The 1/10th ones are fine, but the micro's leak like a screendoor on a submarine. I have tried many different things, plumber tape included, and they still leak. Best I have gotten so far is to mount them inverted lol
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

This might be sacralige, but if you use Associated's "shock slime" they will last longer.
Also, I flip mine, it can't leak out the top and it lowers cg.
Even with flipped shocks and slime they will have to be rebuilt but not nearly as often
macruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #9

not to sound dumb but why vendetta shocks, Ive heard this a few times in the past few days.
Do they just happen to fit just right or is the price right?
tomh1426@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

clean those threads with alcohol and use the black permetex it has sealed mine for at least six months until i took a good fall off the rocks and blew the rod seals out just let the silicone cure for a day
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #11

I don't have a problem with the Losi shocks.

Make sure the gasket is installed seated/correctly. Once the clear gasket is deformed it should be replaced.

If/when mine start leaking I will use a "SMALL" amount of Teflon tape to replace the gasket.

To much oil (besides a gasket that is not seated correctly) is what makes them leak. The extra oil has to go some place as the piston shaft comes up, it would of been nice if these shocks had a air balder.
halfcab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Default should i buy the losi shocks

wow just read this thread and now i'm scared to buy the losi shocks. I'm told they are one of the better shocks but I really don't want to have to rebuild my shocks constantly. I'd love to get the axial shocks but they are twice the price of losi and i'm told they are not that much better to warrant the high price. i don't mind the few extra steps to prevent leaks but seems like this is a major problem.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #13

Dont be scared to buy the Losi stuff. I took my time when assembling them and used teflon tape with almost no leak at all. I just refill mine about twice a season and I'm GTG.
Prybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prybar View Post
Dont be scared to buy the Losi stuff. I took my time when assembling them and used teflon tape with almost no leak at all. I just refill mine about twice a season and I'm GTG.
I agree. My Losi shocks are great. They leaked a lot until I realized I didn't have the caps tight enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh1426@yahoo.com View Post
not to sound dumb but why vendetta shocks, Ive heard this a few times in the past few days.
This site can be very flavor-of-the-month. It's happened with shocks, chassis, tires, etc. It's all about what works for you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Default All LOSI shocks leak big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
agreed, the shocks are fail. The 1/10th ones are fine, but the micro's leak like a screendoor on a submarine. I have tried many different things, plumber tape included, and they still leak. Best I have gotten so far is to mount them inverted lol
I agree with quote above. ALSO NOTE the 1/10 shock on the night crawler leak like a california sun deck!

Also losi links bent under normal use in the OPEN OBTUSE angle. The ends stripped out first and then the shock ends strip out big time. I now have LOSI bent links that are truly bent and traxxas ends. Pulled shocks off tired of leaks and ends coming off.

YES..putting them upside down did help..... my coffee cup doesn't leak when its up right.. LMAO

NO MORE LOSI PARTS. There ideas are SOLID but the materials they use to save a buck.. doesn't translate to good business. Love you losi I have a buggy two two MRC's and two night crawlers. All with LOSI after market parts. I didn't buy and test I just threw down a credit card and bought it all in the same weak.

My advice buy one thing at a time and test. That goes for any brand.
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have figured out 2 sets of o rings leak on my shocks now, and I see they can be changed. I saw this here http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-21409/LOSA5015-Double-O-dsh-Ring-Shock/Detail
Is this for one set.

Or can I get different o rings, if so where and what type. I may just get the losi ones because I dont know how it comes apart, looks like they part just snaps off but if I break it at least the losi parts come with the plastic cap.

Actually I have the metal threaded losi shocks, but looking at the pic are these for the plastic shocks, I wonder if I can use the same parts, or at least the o rings.

Last edited by mikegigabyte; 02-03-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

I'v had my Losi 4' shocks for over a year or so and never driped a drop. i use a small drop of med CA when i instald the glands. iv'e got 2 sets when i had to repack last time a little debonder of berak kleen and the ca lets go. works for me jist my 2 beens GSRCC Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

+1 for the Associated "Green Slime". It makes the O-rings leak a LOT less for whatever reason.
SLODRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomh1426@yahoo.com View Post
I don't know how well they work on a mini crawler but vendetta shocks are the best i have used on my small vehicles and they don't cost much.
The vendetta St shocks are bigger than the regular vendetta shocks.
Mike V
wamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Well I got lucky today and solved my leaking o ring problems, at the local store they had some LOSB1113 shock parts, the guy couldnt find the part for the losi threaded shocks but we found this on the wall. Not sure what shocks they go to but they work on mine. Only $4 for 2. If anyone has a part number just for the o rings let me know so I can repair my old ones and keep as spares, the hobby store couldnt find anything about the o rings