Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Can I build a Delrin chassis at home???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Can I build a Delrin chassis at home???

Recently I broke the carbon side plate right at the link pin on my Pro chassis and I was considering alternatives.

I could build a chassis from aluminum, but it hard to work with on a small scale such as this.

I considered thin gauge steel as well... Far to heavy and hard to work with on a small scale as well.

Then I remembered some of the newer chassis' being made and the fact that they are constructed of Delrin.

I think that Delrin is an awesome material for a crawler. It's light, flexible, slick, and can be worked with fairly easily from what little I've seen.

My question is, does anybody know where to find a good write-up of the tools needed, and any tips for working with the material (such as cutting out intricate openings in the chassis)?

I'd appreciate any input anyone may have on the subject...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Delrin or Lexan (Lexan the brand, NOT just clear polycarbonite sheet since they are different).
You could use a jigsaw/scrollsaw, or small jewlers bow saw to cut.
Belt sander to get finish shape.
Files (flat & round) for other shapes.
Easy to drill either one.

The top for my sons 2.2 Bully as well as mine are made out of ~1/8" thick Lexan sheet I bought at Home Depot.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Delrin or Lexan (Lexan the brand, NOT just clear polycarbonite sheet since they are different).
You could use a jigsaw/scrollsaw, or small jewlers bow saw to cut.
Belt sander to get finish shape.
Files (flat & round) for other shapes.
Easy to drill either one.

The top for my sons 2.2 Bully as well as mine are made out of ~1/8" thick Lexan sheet I bought at Home Depot.

I did know that Lexan is a brand name, but I did NOT know they made more than the clear poly. I've been locally trying to find Acetal (Delrin) sheet with no luck, but I'm checking with a local plastic supplier right now. Home Depot didn't seem to have what I was looking for, but I may have not been looking for the right stuff. Doesn't help much that the people working there don't know their own inventory or what any of it does or is used for.

Out of 5 people I talked to only one even got the idea that I was looking for raw material to build something. The rest kept trying to sell me cutting boards. I had to laugh and say thanks because, while it's the right material, I need 1/8th and 3/16ths inch sheets, not 3/4"...

If you've got any info on what Home Depot calls it or where in one of their stores I may find it that'd be awesome. Apparently I'm speaking Lebanese when I ask for it by name...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

As far as I know, Home Depot only carries LEXAN Clear Polycarbonate. They have transparent black as well. They don't have a huge selection though.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You can easily order your material from Mcmaster carr on the web.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=d8yp6j

It is very easy to work with. I use a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel to make big rough cuts. Then a scroll saw is very nice to cut the finer details.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandcrawler View Post
You can easily order your material from Mcmaster carr on the web.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=d8yp6j

It is very easy to work with. I use a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel to make big rough cuts. Then a scroll saw is very nice to cut the finer details.
Agreed. And be careful, from my outings to local plastic stores, delrin can get pretty pricey.
eedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Yeah Delrin is expensive. Mcmaster is going to be your best bet. Its best to call them during normal business hours so you can get a shipping price. The website does not give you a price for shipping. I called them the other day about it and the guy told me that the site will not do it...you will just see it on your invoice after its paid. Kinda stupid if you ask me. Anyway they are the best price and ship that day or next day. If you want to save some money you could use ABS plastic very strong but cheaper then you could use the extra cash for Delrin Skid and round rod brace material. Oh yeah...if you have a local plastic supplier they probaly have the ABS Black plastic. I get mine locally and they just sell me drops plenty of material to make a chassis. Just my 2 cents....
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I go to my local plastic supply an tell em what I'm trying to do an most time they give it to me if it's small but they have gave me 4x4 sheet of .03 petg free! I just had to bring body I made an let em see it. I guess just depends on store luckily my local supply is close an rarly costs anything. All you do is ask an tell em you may get small chunk free
Whop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I got it dirt cheap from Amazon.com of all places. Just do a search for Delrin. Cuts like butter with a jigsaw. Place blue painters tape to draw your pattern. Make the other side a little bigger and bolt together at the mounting holes. As stated earlier belt sander, dremel and files make quick work. I built a topper over my lunch break. That included my drive home and back to work. They are super easy to make!

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I stated Lexan because you can also buy plastic polycarbonite sheet that "looks" like Lexan. The difference is that a non-Lexan plastic will be brittle and break easily whereas Lexan is better.

Delrin is great but more expensive. It is also not quite as stiff as Lexan for the same sheet thickness.
This is where you have to decide what properties you need when selecting material.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote