Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Best 1.9 tires for the MRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Best 1.9 tires for the MRC

I am looking to get another set of tires for my MRC but I am curious as to other peoples opinions on the best tires for it and why. I run on the rocks not mud so I need something that sticks. Please post your opinions.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

With basic kinds of question that are typically often asked a search of most [applicable] web forums will yield good results.
I Advanced Searched in the Losi MRC section using Thread Titles Only and "Best Tires" as the terms. Click. You can and should try altering terms, of course.

I like the Chisels that I've been running. I also just picked up a used set of Flat Irons that work pretty well. The bigger Flat Irons bring both pros and cons - still playing, so I don't know which two I like better yet.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-29-2010 at 08:44 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Rovers
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

rovers are awsome, i use to run the flat irons they have good clearance but dont grip as well on smooth rock. and they do require a bit of trimming to make them perform well.
climbingfireman` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

rovers or chisels work the best around here... Good old losi blue claws still work well also, just not as tall as the others...
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwart View Post
rovers or chisels work the best around here... Good old losi blue claws still work well also, just not as tall as the others...
x2 but id get rovers
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The two best tires I have run are 1.9 cut n shut Panther Cobras and 1.9 Hot Bodies Rovers. Those are the only tires I travel and compete with.

Here is some pictures of my son's MRC with narrowed 1.9 VP Lil' Harry's and 1.9 Super Soft cut n shut Panther Cobras.

Here is some pictures of my MRC with narrowed 1.9 VP Lil' Harry's and 1.9 Hot Bodies Rovers.

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

novas cut and shut cobras kick a$$
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default proline hammers

I have been using the proline hammers cut and shut on my sons DNA slingshot droop chassis. It works fantastic as a droop tire but I am worried about ride height as a sprung setup. A bigger concern is I am not sure they are legal for comps. The rovers are no doubt the standard by which all others are judged as a 2.2 and they are big too. The 1.9 rovers just look pretty small to me. They don't look much taller than the stock losi tires. I am running chisels on my other sons mrc and those tires are not any taller than the stock tires and wheels. Am I missing something?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I have been using the proline hammers cut and shut on my sons DNA slingshot droop chassis. It works fantastic as a droop tire but I am worried about ride height as a sprung setup. A bigger concern is I am not sure they are legal for comps. The rovers are no doubt the standard by which all others are judged as a 2.2 and they are big too. The 1.9 rovers just look pretty small to me. They don't look much taller than the stock losi tires. I am running chisels on my other sons mrc and those tires are not any taller than the stock tires and wheels. Am I missing something?
you can only run a 4.25 (i belive, im not 100%) inch tire in 1.9 comp
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
you can only run a 4.25 (i belive, im not 100%) inch tire in 1.9 comp
Not positive, but if you can only run 4.25'' why are the rok lox 4.75?
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default That is correct and uncompressed

You are dead right about the 4.25. I think if I recall my cutnshuts are measing fine on two and to big on two. Not enough cut and shut I guess. they are a little tippy anyway on a sprung setup.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
dnf

I have never run a set of cobras,I do love my cut&shut cougars though. for my driving style the rovers are a touch short&narrow.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
"Tires may be modified from other sized tires
using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 4.25 inches." 2.4.3

RoxLox cant be run in the 1.9 class....unless you make them smaller...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Default Cut N Shut

This post has hit me at an interesting time in terms of R & D. I wanted a tire that would measure about 4 inches in od. I did a cut and shut on proline hammers and they measured to big. I wanted something around 4" and went to the hobby shop with a few ideas. I could not find that much of a crawler selection and I was afraid to spend a ton of bucks without trusting my talents on the cut and shut gluing process. Well cheapest tire they had were blue losi claws. At $19 a pair I figured I would give it a go and if I screwed it up I could always return the second pair. Moral of the story is that I finished up mounted the tires went for a test crawl. I think these losi's are more capable than the set of hammers I did. Soooo. If you have any interest in giving the cut and shut a shot the blue losi's are a great option in terms of price and also performance.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I have made 4.25" tall cut n shut cougars and found them to be to tall. They changed the break over of the LMRC and they did perform good on rip rap style rock with my 1.9 dual stage foams in them. However they were very tippy on side hills and off camber stuff. They would be perfect on a 9" wheel base LMRC, but a wheel base change is something the Rules Committee will never allow.

4" inch tall cut n shuts seem to be perfect on a 8.5 WB LMRC.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
RCC Addict

You have anything glued up for a cut and shut that is 4"?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
You have anything glued up for a cut and shut that is 4"?

Not at the moment. I am out of 1.9 sidewalls and the 2.2 sidewalls are being used for 6" tires. I have a bunch of Losi 1.9 sidewalls but they suck. The beads are too big for most 1.9 bead locks and the rubber quality is difficult to work with. The glues tend to not stick as well or easily to Losi compound rubber.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
they are 4.5'' and really just made for scale rigs
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not at the moment. I am out of 1.9 sidewalls and the 2.2 sidewalls are being used for 6" tires. I have a bunch of Losi 1.9 sidewalls but they suck. The beads are too big for most 1.9 bead locks and the rubber quality is difficult to work with. The glues tend to not stick as well or easily to Losi compound rubber.
Boy do I know that to be true. I cannot tell you how many times I glued my fingers to the tire with the prolines, but with the losi's it took much longer with the same glue. I just thought it was because of the recent humidity in Dallas.